The Pac-12's media rights negotiations are "not going very well," CBS Sports' Barrett Sallee told FOS.

1 hour ago, Dannymacfan said:

now with NIL SMU could win the national championship

This isn't the 80s. SMU is currently a landing spot for P5 transfers who flopped after good high school recruiting rankings. The P5 backups aren't going to skate past the P5 starters in a playoff run all the way to a national championship.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Trolls getting at it with each other.  This is new territory for gmg.com

No -1s from me for those quotes.  It's like they cancel each other out.

CUSA was never this much fun or entertaining.  I feel like we're at the Adult table now!

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Cougar King said:

SMU was punching the air after seeing Utah, TCU, Rutgers, Louisville, BYU,Cincy, UCF and especially dear old UofH get elevated to a P5 conference. 

You have no fans. You have no recent football or basketball success. You even tried to rebrand yourselves as "Dallas" even though The University of Dallas already exists.

SMU even divorced the Methodist church for a chance at the P5.

When ALL of this failed, You guys resorted to buying your way into a P5 conference. The jury is out on if this will work, but I predict SMU may try going independent in football if this falls through.

mustangfan had a good point, UNT is in the same conference with SMU, you guy's aren't even on the schedule for either of us. By the way, didn't SMU hang 77 on the cougars last year?

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Cougar King said:

SMU was punching the air after seeing Utah, TCU, Rutgers, Louisville, BYU,Cincy, UCF and especially dear old UofH get elevated to a P5 conference. 

You have no fans. You have no recent football or basketball success. You even tried to rebrand yourselves as "Dallas" even though The University of Dallas already exists.

SMU even divorced the Methodist church for a chance at the P5.

When ALL of this failed, You guys resorted to buying your way into a P5 conference. The jury is out on if this will work, but I predict SMU may try going independent in football if this falls through.

Not even a season in at the truck stop conference and you are already high and mighty. Your attendance doesn't look substantially different from ours (despite vastly more student and alumni) nor does your recent football success.  You got called up based on market just like we will be.  There are a dozen other schools who are also willing to invest the resources and try to win, but are totally doomed because they don't have an in-demand market.

We're getting on the last lifeboat to safety. You got on the second-to-last.  How impressive.

Edited by DentonStang
  • Upvote 4

16 hours ago, mustangfan said:

You know, I have held my tongue on some of your catty comments but I am tired of your crap.

Cougar High couldn't hold SMU's jock back in the 70's and 80's and the only reason you guys have had any success as of late is your mafia benefactor who needs a tax write off ie a place to launder his money.

You could only wish to have had the historic success that SMU has had.  Any by the way, you should not be boasting about attendance either.

Also, why are you here?  We share a conference with UNT, albeit for a cup of coffee but still we have reason to be engaging with them at this time.  I don't see Houston on the schedule for UNT.

Yeah!  You couldn’t hold SMU’s jock in the 80’s and you have a “mafia benefactor who launders money.”  How dare you compare yourself to the clean, upstanding ponies who have always done it right.  

EFF274C9-37AE-4EE2-A131-8DE3806EC4C5.jpeg

B38FF4E0-62F4-4BEA-B1EB-2741A296FEB3.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2023 at 8:12 PM, meanrob said:

I think the PAC is in really bad shape. Maybe not today or tomorrow but in the next ten years. In a rational world they’d reconfigure as an academic/athletic conference that has realistic expectations. But you can’t do that in these times, just like G5 will never break off until they are forced to. 

Functionally making moves for individual school and/or conference revenue is not how you run a functional league.  We could have a great robust stable FBS with about 100 teams if 60% - 80% of all media revenue went in to shared bucket.  Also 25% merchandise revenue sold at venues on game day should be in one collective pot also.  And functional standards should also be implemented to have FBS status.  Not to pick on Rice, Tulsa, Vanderbilt and SMU but none of them should be FBS.  Small private schools like that virtually never develop a huge following ironically because they are good at their primary mission; providing an elite education with strong small professional networks post graduation.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Not even a season in at the truck stop conference and you are already high and mighty. Your attendance doesn't look substantially different from ours (despite vastly more student and alumni) nor does your recent football success.  You got called up based on market just like we will be.  There are a dozen other schools who are also willing to invest the resources and try to win, but are totally doomed because they don't have an in-demand market.

We're getting on the last lifeboat to safety. You got on the second-to-last.  How impressive.

Don't count your dollars before they're in your hand Biff. SMU doesn't have an invite yet.

If market was the only factor, then why didn't Rice or Tulane get a call-up over us? They both have more money and AAU status.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Please.  smu fans arguing attendance is like smu claiming they are the team of Dallas.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • RV 1

2 hours ago, Cougar King said:

Don't count your dollars before they're in your hand Biff. SMU doesn't have an invite yet.

If market was the only factor, then why didn't Rice or Tulane get a call-up over us? They both have more money and AAU status.

Rice and Tulane have the resources.... But not the will to try.  That's why I said "and willing to invest the resources to try to win". 

If Rice wanted to invest their vast resources, make curriculum changes, etc to facilitate winning they'd absolutely be an option.

• Eye Roll 1

9 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

Still P5. Plus I get to see a home schedule of UT, TCU, West Virginia, etc. 

Remind me again of what SMU's home schedule looks like.

Might I recommend a smu or houston fanboard?

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

Still P5. Plus I get to see a home schedule of UT, TCU, West Virginia, etc. 

Remind me again of what SMU's home schedule looks like.

I am jealous you get UT at home. 

I wish we still had UH on our schedule so we could go for 96 this year. 

• Upvote 2