AAC Tournament

MCMLXXX

2 hours ago, MrAlien said:

Is there anything around Dickies?  like sports bars or a decent place to pregame before going in?  Thats the one thing I did like about the Star

It's right across the street from a taco joint and, for a bit more of a walk south, a great pub

https://www.tacoheads.com/

https://yeoldebullandbush.com/

EDIT: I have never been to Ye Old B&B, but I've heard WONDERFUL things about it.  neighborhood staple. Been meaning to go there forever.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, eternalmtg said:

It's a really cool boutique hotel with a great bar within walking distance of Dickies that I visited recently.

https://hoteldryce.com/

Dryce has phenomenal craft cocktails and some sleek, modern-West-style decor.

I used to live walking distance from Ye Olde Bull and Bush, and it's a fun little place--classic English pub (but without food).

• Upvote 1

On 6/19/2023 at 4:10 PM, MrAlien said:

Is there anything around Dickies?  like sports bars or a decent place to pregame before going in?  Thats the one thing I did like about the Star

How did you not see all of the places to eat and drink in the star? 

Edited by untlynchka1
  • Confused 4

Selfishly I hate that it is over in Cowtown now.  It's a solid 55-65 minute drive from Plano. 

I know the facility is much better, we enjoyed seeing Brooks and Dunn there back in May.  But, the house and my office are minutes away from The Star.  During our mid-day Tournament games, I would block off a few hours on the work calendar and drive up to The Star and back to the office after it was done.  

I didn't look at the setup of the AAC tourney last year.  I assume there are games from morning to night to get both the men's and women's games in on a single court?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Selfishly I hate that it is over in Cowtown now.  It's a solid 55-65 minute drive from Plano. 

I know the facility is much better, we enjoyed seeing Brooks and Dunn there back in May.  But, the house and my office are minutes away from The Star.  During our mid-day Tournament games, I would block off a few hours on the work calendar and drive up to The Star and back to the office after it was done.  

I didn't look at the setup of the AAC tourney last year.  I assume there are games from morning to night to get both the men's and women's games in on a single court?

Not the best for everyone. Makes no difference to me distance wise but I amwill miss the bars and whatnot they had at the Jerry practice fields.

• Eye Roll 1

6 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Men and women didn’t play at the same time. Hopefully same next year. Tickets from now on will be more expensive though. 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2023 at 4:10 PM, MrAlien said:

Not really around Dickies, but it's not a far walk from the 7th Street area, especially if you park in the big open lot by Farrington Field.

If you get there early enough, you may also be able to skip having to pay. I think an attendant shows up at 7pm. And the walk between the lot and the arena is very well-lit.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Not really around Dickies, but it's not a far walk from the 7th Street area, especially if you park in the big open lot by Farrington Field.

If you get there early enough, you may also be able to skip having to pay. I think an attendant shows up at 7pm. And the walk between the lot and the arena is very well-lit.

so best bet is to have uber drop me at the west 7th area and walk over to the game? how far a walk is that?

11 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

so best bet is to have uber drop me at the west 7th area and walk over to the game? how far a walk is that?

Maybe 15 minutes at most. The longest part is actually waiting to get the walk signal across University Dr. And again, the whole walk is extremely well-lit. The flat lots next to Dickies will cost at least $20.

DickiesArena.png.f7082d7d035bb565a7a9f9f7b299072a.png

• Upvote 1