Gumms commits to Arkansas

Hunter Green

• Hunter Green changed the title to Gumms commits to Arkansas
1 hour ago, Hogfan14 said:

Probably just depends how much the new OC Enos uses the TE. He should be able to step in and start right away

It depends if coaches want to baby sit him and put up with out burst during practice and lack of understanding of playbook. Had heard complaints from both staffs as well as multiple players. A+ talent. D teammate.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 4
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, TheReal_jayD said:

It depends if coaches want to baby sit him and put up with out burst during practice and lack of understanding of playbook. Had heard complaints from both staffs as well as multiple players. A+ talent. D teammate.

Wow! Didn't know that.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Hogfan14 said:

Probably just depends how much the new OC Enos uses the TE. He should be able to step in and start right away

At Maryland last year, the 2 TEs they used combined 70 Receptions, 800 yards, and 6 TEs. So Enos does like to use TEs. However, it sounds like Gumms had some off the field issues here. He will need to grow up, or he won't see the field at Arkansas. He's easily replaceable in the SEC.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jtm0097 said:

At Maryland last year, the 2 TEs they used combined 70 Receptions, 800 yards, and 6 TEs. So Enos does like to use TEs. However, it sounds like Gumms had some off the field issues here. He will need to grow up, or he won't see the field at Arkansas. He's easily replaceable in the SEC.

Matthew Bingo GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Probably because he didn't really want to be here in the first place.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Pissed 1

4 hours ago, glick1980 said:

I heard from a reputable source that he was told to leave, so it wasn’t his choice, but the coaching staff’s.

4 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I was told the same back when he entered the portal. I was contacted by someone that would know and was told he was not a good teammate and there wasn’t a tear shed when he decided to go. 

Now, I don’t want to kick him out the door as Arkansas is my #2 team, a distant #2, so I hope he finds what he wants, puts up big numbers and gets his attitude in check. I hope it is a lesson learned and he grows from it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, MeanGreen13 said:

It's weird to see the negative comments about him come to light now that he found a landing spot. I say go with God Mr. Gumms. Leave it at that. 

Agreed....and negative comments only posted after he commits somewhere else.  Implying that we would have taken him back and kept all that bad teammate talk quiet.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Yep! Honestly surprised he lasted until the beginning of spring ball, Morris and these guys don’t play.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

18 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Let him sit on the bench and be worthless. Portal is a joke and honestly makes me care less about players we bring in as a well….

The portal has allowed players to just quit and leave instead of working harder in many cases.  I can more understand if a player is 4th string and wants a new start somewhere for better opportunity.  Or perhaps in this case where a new coaching staff comes in and might not use TE the way Seth did?  I don't know what the original intent of the portal was, but like NIL, it has morphed into something not good for college sports!

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Yes, and?

I don't see the trashing of Jake Roberts on his going-away thread.   Only some of the usual transfer police posters saying the same old tired stuff like "He's gone, why is this here?"  Otherwise, mostly good things to say about him... and he wasnt even as successful as Gumms.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2