Grant please listen... You are making a terrible mistake

My best guess is that this has little to do with money, facilities, and the like. I believe this is about the NCAA tournament. He is leaving a team that was in a 1-bid league that will be in a 2-bid league next year for a team in a 7-bid conference. He wants a natty and in the big 12 he gets 7 chances at a golden ticket rather than 1 or 2.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 6

28 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

My best guess is that this has little to do with money, facilities, and the like. I believe this is about the NCAA tournament. He is leaving a team that was in a 1-bid league that will be in a 2-bid league next year for a team in a 7-bid conference. He wants a natty and in the big 12 he gets 7 chances at a golden ticket rather than 1 or 2.

Nope. It's $. He leaving his perch with a 5M counter by UNT? No, he's not. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Nope. It's $. He leaving his perch with a 5M counter by UNT? No, he's not. 

Of course he is. If it was about money he’d have gone to SMU last season for $3M+ and stayed close to family. This is about opportunity, not money.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Of course he is. If it was about money he’d have gone to SMU last season for $3M+ and stayed close to family. This is about opportunity, not money.

What’s the opportunity? The chance to be a mid-level team in the big 12?

That’s not a knock on Mac’s coaching ability, it’s a statement on who Texas Tech really is despite their fanbase’s belief

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3

1 minute ago, emmitt01 said:

What’s the opportunity? The chance to be a mid-level team in the big 12?

That’s not a knock on Mac’s coaching ability, it’s a statement on who Texas Tech really is despite their fanbase’s belief

The opportunity is a much easier path to that field of 64. Only 3 of the ten teams in the Big12 did not make the NCAA tournament. Only 1 team in our 11 team conference made the NCAA tournament despite the two CUSA teams playing tonight likely being better teams than at least 2 of the big 12’s seven that got NCAA bids.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

14 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Not true. 
Grant didn’t take the SMU position because he has too much class to go to a school that most consider an arch rival. He didn’t do that out of respect for the University of North Texas. 
Grant is a class act. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

The opportunity is a much easier path to that field of 64. Only 3 of the ten teams in the Big12 did not make the NCAA tournament. Only 1 team in our 11 team conference made the NCAA tournament despite the two CUSA teams playing tonight likely being better teams than at least 2 of the big 12’s seven that got NCAA bids.

Mac won’t make the big dance with Tech for at least 2 years…. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Don’t bet on it. 

Why not? Tech has 4 players in the transfer portal including the top recruits from their 2021 and 2022 classes. In addition, they're losing one of their double digit scorers and another from the 2022 class in the portal. Mind you, the 2022 classes was their baby as a top 20 recruiting class nationally. Add in the super seniors who are done and there's not much left outside of a good sophomore guard and a good freshman guard. Going to be a major rebuild in Lubbock.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Don’t bet on it. 

I don’t think it’s the worst bet to make. 16-22 they had a good run. Dropped off this year. A rebuild year with so much being lost (probably .500 team) then jumps up to maybe a 20 win season with “his guys”.  Year three is the push. 

Edited by Andrew

2 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Why not? Tech has 4 players in the transfer portal including the top recruits from their 2021 and 2022 classes. In addition, they're losing one of their double digit scorers and another from the 2022 class in the portal. Mind you, the 2022 classes was their baby as a top 20 recruiting class nationally. Add in the super seniors who are done and there's not much left outside of a good sophomore guard and a good freshman guard. Going to be a major rebuild in Lubbock.

Because clearly Grant can put a team together, especially if TP goes with him. Let’s not be bitter.  It’s good for us if they go far. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, tmjerm said:

Because clearly Grant can put a team together, especially if TP goes with him. Let’s not be bitter.  It’s good for us if they go far. 

Why would TP go with him? He's a senior playing at his dream school. I could see him going home to an Oklahoma school but that's it.

16 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Why would TP go with him? He's a senior playing at his dream school. I could see him going home to an Oklahoma school but that's it.

I pray you’re right.  My answer would be in order to play in the best basketball conference in the nation combined with the vagueness about the future but I’m honestly not super worried about it in terms of justness.  In terms of likelihood I’d consider it highly likely. 

10 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

I don’t know that I completely agree with the first part of your post.  I posted yesterday a too long post about this, but virtually no one supports D1 basketball more than we do unless they have had major success or been a part of an elite conference.  We have a cavernous arena that feels more empty than full…but 4-5k fans in seats is above average for a school that has never made a sweet 16.

Grant can stay or go.  I don’t wish him anything but the best.  But UNT must keep the momentum going and I think we will.  Would be great if Ross can become our Mark Few.  

Easy to see that Grants SWC/Big 12 coaching buddies are probably his main cheerleaders & encouragers for him to move to the 🎶 land of sky blue waters.🎶 (sarc’)

(Wasn’t that in a  Hamm’s 🍺 beer commercial)?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

27 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Then Tech will be coach searching again.  Those fan bases do not have our patience, or our lack of $$.

Exactly this is a bunch of complaining and speculating for nothing.  As much as the NCAA and delusional “I still believe in Santa Clause & Knute Rockne” fans want to protest at least half of D1 revenue sports are semi-pro.  And ALL the D1 head coaches in revenue sports view themselves as professionals as they should.  Grant has had a great run here.  I can’t fault him for leaving. But I wish he was going to a program more viable than Texas Tech.   I think Bobby Knight’s run there is best that can be expected there.  Their run with Chris Beard is an outlier.  I would much prefer it if grant was leaving for a program with NCAA Championship banners in their arena already.   Better for him and us.

• Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

Mac won’t make the big dance with Tech for at least 2 years…. 

You either have a big time axe to grind with Tech and seriously ignore their recent history of success or you vastly underestimate Grant’s coaching ability. Tech will be one of the 64 next year, mark it.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

You either have a big time axe to grind with Tech and seriously ignore their recent history of success or you vastly underestimate Grant’s coaching ability. Tech will be one of the 64 next year, mark it.

Andrew has a problem with anyone that isn't 100% loyal.  So, yes, he has a problem with Coach Grant.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

North Texas didn’t support Grant the way we should have.  Our issue is not that the Coliseum is too big.  The problem is that we don’t bring more people to the games.  And the notion of building a smaller facility because we don’t draw well is absolutely ridiculous.  

It was said that Hayden Fry left to go to Iowa for the same reason.  He wanted bigger crowds and didn’t see those numbers changing.  

Think about that next time NT has a home game and there’s a good TV show on.

I hope we support Coach Hodge.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1