How many wins triggers Seth extension?

Dannymacfan

How many wins triggers Seth extension?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins triggers a Seth extension?

• 6 wins
    • 6 win but one of them is beating UTSA in SA
    • 7 wins
    • 8 wins
    • there is no scenario where he may return.

13 hours ago, greenminer said:

Pretty big clash here: if he somehow wins conference or ties for first, it's ridiculous to fire him.  If you factor in the body of work, it's ridiculous to keep him.

I can understand both sides.

Follow up thought: if you fire a coach after winning a conference title, we might lose interest of one or a few of our primary targets to replace them.  Coaches that are established and have options for employment might be turned off by a place that fires a HC that just won a 'ship.

• Upvote 5

53 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

All due respect Lifer but that is a very overly optimistic evaluation, even for a lifer like yourself.  Methinks you have set the bar high for a reason no?  Cause there is no way we beat sack at their place this season and you know it.

No way we beat them? Hard disagree. We’re going to give them all they can handle. 
IMO, UTSA has not looked overly impressive this year. Lost to a mediocre UH at home, barely squeaked by a bad Army team in OT, and they were only beating TX Southern by 11 after 3 Qs. Their defense makes them very vulnerable. 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

44 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

No way we beat them? Hard disagree. We’re going to give them all they can handle. 
IMO, UTSA has not looked overly impressive this year. Lost to a mediocre UH at home, barely squeaked by a bad Army team in OT, and they were only beating TX Southern by 11 after 3 Qs. Their defense makes them very vulnerable. 

If we can pressure Harris, we have a chance. They have 3 good receivers. Pressure would be our equalizer.  I think we should be able to put up some points on them.  Hoping for a good game either way. GMG!

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

Anyone that supports this thought of extension should be lined up and kicked swiftly in the nuts. 

Exactly, It is such low expectations around here. Why would we ever be any better than mediocre? As if seven years of this crap isn't enough time spent.

Anyone noticed we are the only FBS team SMU beat this year so far, sitting at 2-3 and their other win they had was to a FCS team that played them better at Ford Stadium. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Anyone that supports this thought of extension should be lined up and kicked swiftly in the nuts. 

It’s a hypothetical conversation so I’ll reply by saying anyone who thinks a coach who wins 8+ games and makes the conference championship should get fired needs an even harder kick to the nuts. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

23 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

It’s a hypothetical conversation so I’ll reply by saying anyone who thinks a coach who wins 8+ games and makes the conference championship should get an even harder kick to the nuts. 

I completely agree with you...he gets 8+ wins, he's gonna be here for several more seasons with absolutely no doubt and then we start feeling good about things again.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I completely agree with you...he gets 8+ wins, he's gonna be here for several more seasons with absolutely no doubt and then we start feeling good about things again.

Can you imagine how bad it will be in the AAC with Seth? Our football program will be a complete Dumpster Fire. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Listen people, it does happen!  In 2014 UH Head Coach Tony Levine had a 7-4 record and the team went to the Armed Forces Bowl.  They had the courage to fire him anyway.  You know why?  They weren't satisfied with the status quo.  They wanted to be better to achieve more.  And they certainly did, now they are moving from the AAC to the BIG 12!!  Why is this such a hard concept for  you people to understand?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Levine

Edited by Dannymacfan
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

Listen people, it does happen!  In 2014 UH Head Coach Tony Levine had a 7-4 record and the team went to the Armed Forces Bowl.  They had the courage to fire him anyway.  You know why?  They weren't satisfied with the status quo.  They wanted to be better to achieve more.  And they certainly did, now they are moving from the AAC to the BIG 12!!  Why is this such a hard concept for  you people to understand?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Levine

That’s UH and they got money and fans and big corporations…

We got the UNT 17…

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 10/11/2022 at 1:22 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Can you add an option for "no amount"? It is time to move on. If you want this to continue - YOU are part of the problem. Let's use our move to the American to end the acceptance of average being good enough.

No amount? If you wouldn’t take a coach back after an 11-3 season with a conference title and a bowl win not to mention 14 straight conference wins then you are part of the problem 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I have a good feeling that Seth will graciously step aside at or near the end of the season.  It will be presented as a win/win.  Seth will have solidified his legacy as a positive hire that helped UNT build facilities and get to a better conference. Seth will always be remembered as a modern day Corky Nelson.  No shame in that at all.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

15 hours ago, rws69 said:

No East or West Divisions this year due to three teams that left. Top two conference records play in the championship. 

Good call.
Then 2 wins versus UTSA, UAB, & WKU (re: 8 wins) will assuredly put NT in the CCG against the other of those 3 that does the best (most likely UTSA, since UAB & WKU both have 1 loss currently), with a possibility that we host it!   It would be very difficult to send Littrell packing if that happens.

That's assuming we win VS LATech (could be tough), FIU (given), and Rice (looking like this is going to be a very difficult game).

But again, wait until after the bowl game to extend.   And even then, only extend a small amount (2-3yrs) with as little buyout/risk as possible.

Another possibility in this dream scenario would be that some other P5 school would be intoxicated by Littrell & pick him up (we saw a report floating out there about Colorado being interested!).  This might be the best of both worlds.  We win now, AND we get a small buyout of Littrell, then Wren gets to appoint a new coach.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

But again, wait until after the bowl game to extend. 

You can't do that as it will hinder your choices of the best coaches.  There are a few programs already out there looking and there will be more as the weeks pass.  The only way I can see this strategy work is if you already have your candidate locked in.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

You can't do that as it will hinder your choices of the best coaches.  There are a few programs already out there looking and there will be more as the weeks pass.  The only way I can see this strategy work is if you already have your candidate locked in.

I'm saying, if NT plays in the CCG - let alone wins, Littrell is getting extended anyway.

So, since you're extending him either way, wait until after the bowl game (where we could most-definitely be embarrassed again) before offering the extension.

If NT wins 6 or 7, with no CCG appearance, then yes, make the move on Monday, November 28th.  Have Bloesch or Cobbs coach the bowl game.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Hell yeah...if you don't think we can beat UTSA on the road, as a fan, you better stay home because you aren't helping us win. I know I still regret thinking we were gonna get our asses handed to us against SMU again in early September. If I thought differently, as a fan, maybe we wouldn't have lost by multiple TDs.

I don't think anyone in the organization should go into any game with that attitude.  I don't care if it is a fan, player, coach, administrator, trainer, grad assistant, etc.  The expectation should be to win.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

On 10/12/2022 at 11:14 PM, Tom McKrackin said:

Seth will always be remembered as a modern day Corky Nelson

God bless Corky Nelson's soul.  But as a Denton native and UNT alumni I had to Google search him.  Being remembered as a coach who tried hard but was under 0.500 and never won a post season game is a good thing?  Also I developed my love for the college football game day experience by going to a couple of KSU games in the late 1990s.  I live in Denton for all of Corky's time here, as a huge football fan.  My classmates and I (including talented athletes that the program could have used in the 90s) did not have UNT football enter our conscious until they gave out free tickets.  And still I remember Denton High games at Fouts more fondly and vividly than Mean Green Games.  Hell I don't even remember if Scrappy (or Eppy) was at the game I went to and who they played. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1