Facilities - Existing AAC School Points to UNT’s Example

chomp

6 minutes ago, chomp said:

While everyone has mentioned UNT’s investment in facilities as key to the AAC invite, I thought that it was interesting to see USF pointing to UNT as an example that it needs to follow. 

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bulls/2021/10/22/what-usf-football-can-learn-from-this-round-of-aac-expansion/?fbclid=IwAR1m3AFDlfNTTlrCy0ZZFNplCTSTW9omYuesipNSz6PWapmsdRPizXRVlok

Lol, the whole article was about North Texas

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

We are sooo fortunate not to be land locked with expensive real estate surrounding us. We have plenty of land to expand and still maintain green areas! The past administration deserves credit!!!

You just pointed out SMU’s biggest problem. They claim they don’t want to increase enrollment, in reality they can’t. Don’t have the space. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

I know the situation with the SuperPit is convoluted the way it's structured, but i think it would be great if the whole interior could get a facelift. I think the building is fantastic

We desperately need a new AD owned arena after the athletic center expansion. It'll solve the basketball practice court issue as well as giving volleyball an upgrade.

From a fan experience, the SP is fine, but everything else about it is definitely dated.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoEagle said:

We desperately need a new AD owned arena after the athletic center expansion. It'll solve the basketball practice court issue as well as giving volleyball an upgrade.

From a fan experience, the SP is fine, but everything else about it is definitely dated.

We already have a basketball practice court in the Bonnie Brae complex. The volleyball arena isn’t ideal but at this point hardly a reason to build a new basketball arena in an inconvenient location for student attendance when a perfect fine one is already in place. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

12 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

We already have a basketball practice court in the Bonnie Brae complex. The volleyball arena isn’t ideal but at this point hardly a reason to build a new basketball arena in an inconvenient location for student attendance when a perfect fine one is already in place. 

Solid reasons for keeping Fouts Field.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

Solid reasons for keeping Fouts Field.

I think it’s really tough to make a legitimate comparison between the viability of Fouts Field as a venue and that of the Super Pit. I’m quite certain my opinion will ultimately be irrelevant (and deservedly so) but I think the SP is worth saving for a number of reasons, most notably location. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mean Green Matt said:

I think it’s really tough to make a legitimate comparison between the viability of Fouts Field as a venue and that of the Super Pit. I’m quite certain my opinion will ultimately be irrelevant (and deservedly so) but I think the SP is worth saving for a number of reasons, most notably location. 

They're not getting rid of the Super Pit, at least not to my knowledge. The problem with the Pit is mostly that it isn't AD owned, and the facilities you don't see are subpar compared with upper tier basketball programs.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

They're not getting rid of the Super Pit, at least not to my knowledge. The problem with the Pit is mostly that it isn't AD owned, and the facilities you don't see are subpar compared with upper tier basketball programs.

Well we’d be getting rid of it as our basketball venue. I agree underneath needs work. I’m not convinced it would require major structural changes to improve (which it has been noted would be problematic), but would require the academic side to cede some space, which I’m not totally convinced they wouldn’t do.

The reaction to not filling the Pit should be to get more fans in there, not to try and solve the problem by building a smaller arena (yes, I realize that is not the only reason). I’m sure the first response to this will be “but Texas is building a smaller arena”. Good for them. Don’t care. 😃

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Well we’d be getting rid of it as our basketball venue. I agree underneath needs work. I’m not convinced it would require major structural changes to improve (which it has been noted would be problematic), but would require the academic side to cede some space, which I’m not totally convinced they wouldn’t do.

The reaction to not filling the Pit should be to get more fans in there, not to try and solve the problem by building a smaller arena (yes, I realize that is not the only reason). I’m sure the first response to this will be “but Texas is building a smaller arena”. Good for them. Don’t care. 😃

One word “asbestos “ it is my understanding this is the major concern on the underneath. They know they have and to remediate would be very costly and create other problems.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

If we're trying to field top 50 or top 25 teams, we need to have top facilities. It's really as simple as that. And you already knew where I was going next. 😂 A ticket to basketball needs to be harder to come by than currently, and the venue needs to be smaller to amplify the sound and bring fans into the game. 

We have a real chance to advance our profile in the sport and as a school through basketball, and the new facility will be a major step. I just hope we don't get caught up in the desire to revive baseball. I want it eventually and will be an avid fan, but it's a dying sport and does nothing for our brand.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

One word “asbestos “ it is my understanding this is the major concern on the underneath. They know they have and to remediate would be very costly and create other problems.

That’s a really good point, but I’m pretty dug in at this point so I’m just going to carry on as if it had not been mentioned. Save the Pit!

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, golfingomez said:

I know the situation with the SuperPit is convoluted the way it's structured, but i think it would be great if the whole interior could get a facelift. I think the building is fantastic

Hofheinz Pavillion (10K seats) converted to Fertitta Center (7,100 seats). 

Super Pit (10K seats) converted to  _______________ Center  (?,??? seats)

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The problem with the Super Pit to me is that you would just never really be able to make it truly feel like a modern arena. The stands are too far from the court, the floor seats look like what they are…floor seats added to an arena that was built without them. It really just feels dated, as previously stated, and I just don’t think you could overcome that. It’s just time to move on and start over.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Asbestos was commonly used at the time the SP was built.   Usually in the support structure.  

It is much more costly and dangerous to remove asbestos.  However, why would NT even want to do that.  That is were the hazard comes in.  There are millions of buildings built with asbestos that are still being used.  

Don't know but I doubt renovating the SP's fan areas would require significant asbestos work.  

46 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Now that’s a perfect example of apples vs oranges. 

Obviously Fouts was much more dire than the SP. That said, the Pit is nearly 50 years old, and it shows. DentonLurker nailed it.

It's not the embarrassment that Fouts was, but it and the practice facility are nearing their end of life as far as athletics are concerned. 

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1