Report: Major Applewhite hired at UH

DT 90

3 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I've seen plenty of reports today from ESPN and others saying they haven't offered a job yet and that UH is meeting soon to discuss the finances of their next hire. I'll believe it when it's official. 

I completely follow your logic and you make a good point. 

This gives me all the indication I need though. I can't see Mr. Landry's with the deep pockets taking Orlando or Applewhite. He wants a name. They probably left Orlando's and Applewhite's names under consideration so they don't jet to UT before UH's bowl game on the 17th. Reporters like Mark Berman and Duarte down in Houston just parrot whatever the UH company line is, that's all.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I completely follow your logic and you make a good point. 

This gives me all the indication I need though. I can't see Mr. Landry's with the deep pockets taking Orlando or Applewhite. He wants a name. They probably left Orlando's and Applewhite's name under consideration so they don't jet to UT before UH's bowl game on the 17th. Reporters like Mark Berman and Duarte down in Houston just parrot whatever the UH company line is, that's all.

I think you're right but on the other hand Kiffin doesn't make much sense to me. He's not the up-and-coming coach. He's been a HC and USC got progressively worst under his leadership. Art Briles, Sumlin, Levine, and Herman had never been head coaches before UH and 3 of those 4 moved on to bigger programs. I'm just not sure Kiffin fits the bill and I don't understand why they would take a chance at a guy who's already shown he can't handle being a HC. For this very reason, I hope they hire Kiffin. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think you're right but on the other hand Kiffin doesn't make much sense to me. He's not the up-and-coming coach. He's been a HC and USC got progressively worst under his leadership. Art Briles, Sumlin, Levine, and Herman had never been head coaches before UH and 3 of those 4 moved on to bigger programs. I'm just not sure Kiffin fits the bill and I don't understand why they would take a chance at a guy who's already shown he can't handle being a HC. For this very reason, I hope they hire Kiffin. 

I would hope that he's learned some lessons from his failures, learned from working with the best coach in college football, and matured along the way.

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Haha, I like your style.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, DT 90 said:

Well hell.  Can't believe everything you read on the internet google web.

Applewhite to UT?  Isn't he the reason UT has or did have a Title IX suit against them?

Rumor is he is headed back to UT. The lawsuit has to do with their departed track coach having a relationship with one of her athletes. Her argument is that Applewhite also had a relationship with a student(though it wasn't an athlete, just a student trainer) and as a heterosexual, white, able-bodied male coach, he was treated differently than she was as a disabled, black, gay woman.

• Upvote 3