How can UNT best capitalize on this bowl (important)

Harry

I just received a call from a good fan who shared with me some of his thinking in regards to the Heart of Dallas Bowl in 2013/14 and how we could potentially improve upon it this time around if that is indeed our destination.

I would like to get your feedback on this.

One thing it appears that Wren is already on top of is ticket delivery.   It appears that they will use UPS to deliver tickets this time as opposed to the fiasco we experience when it was done through the AD last HOD bowl.  Three cheers for Wren and the decision makers for proactively putting this in place.

Another idea this fan had was in terms of selling tickets.  His idea was to have everyone on here that has a facebook account to send a request to ALL of their friends (not just UNT) that contains a good picture and link to the UNT ticket office (not Ticketmaster).  The message should be that whether you can attend the game or not, buying a ticket through the AD will help the University as a whole.  Perhaps even set up some type of webpage that has a goal listing how many tickets they want to sell which is updated with each ticket sale.

He also brought up a great thought in regards to how can we best compile data on the attendees at the game.  If you recall from 2014, there were many, many new faces that most of us had never seen before in that 40K group of loud Mean Green fans.  My guess is that many of them have never made it to Denton for a game but were willing to attend one in Dallas.  What could we do to get their information and possibly lure them to attend a game in Denton next season?  People will not give you their name and phone number unless they get something in return.  Perhaps we could get that through the ticket purchase process.  Or perhaps, have some type of free plastic commemorative UNT football give-away that includes a free ticket in the Wing Zone to the Lamar game in 2017?  However they do it, there is a big group of good prospective UNT fans that will attend who we have to figure out a way to connect with.

Give the students an easy way to make this game.  Get a hip band, hit them up on their unt email, set up shuttle busses, get the greeks and student organizations a carrot.  Let's make this economically feasible for every damn student of UNT to attend this game.  This is our future folks, we will potentially create 20-30 year supporters if we play our cards right on this.

Lastly - this game could have huge implications for recruiting.  We ought to figure out a way to invite every damn good prospect in the DFW area and their family to get to this game and roll out a red carpet (within the rules mind you) to make it a great experience.  Let them walk out on the field, give them some type of special VIP pass, take pictures and put them on social media.   Don't give me any horseshit about our recruiting budget is too low.  You have to invest money to make money.  Sorry for the novel but I am very passionate about this.  Make it happen!  gmg

The Facebook and Twitter connection by all is a start.

Gotta make being there, being a part of it count somehow.  Not just to watch the game.

Just thinking out loud.

"Be a part of history with your UNT family.  Pick up your commemorative 2017 HOD Bowl T Shirt at the gate with a valid student ID, class ring, photo of degree etc..."

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Put up billboards a la la tech to get the casual fan and stress the human part of this bowl.  The millennials love this stuff and if we can jimmy a way for them to bring their dog we sell that beach out!  

Kidding millenial friends.  In all seriousness there will be attendees for the cause make it known, loud and visual.

GMG 

• Upvote 3

So much opportunity to enhance our pregame draw.  Put them on the bud light hill for a 2 hour concert before the game and make them encourage fans to enter on time as part of their clause and high profile stage now you have a reason for people to hang in that otherwise dormant dead bud light area in front of the gates.  

Or do it burning man style and have a series of bands playing on a live stage four hours before kickoff.  Every set 45 minutes 15 minute change.

GMG

• Upvote 4

Should do a package for something like Dinner with the coaches during the dead period for recruiting.. an extra 20 bucks or something per plate for some Rudys or something... coaches can talk recruiting or even about the season and answer questions. This extra $ could then be spent on the last few weeks of recruiting.. with things like more free give away stuff or increased visits from area students...

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

The Facebook and Twitter connection by all is a start.

Gotta make being there, being a part of it count somehow.  Not just to watch the game.

Just thinking out loud.

"Be a part of history with your UNT family.  Pick up your commemorative 2017 HOD Bowl T Shirt at the gate with a valid student ID, class ring, photo of degree etc..."

Rick

Most have a  Facebook or Twitter account that will have UNT "Friends" & others who are not but could become curious as in new fans?  It may be that many of our UNT Friends have not been on the UNT general mailing or athletic dept. list for years (if even ever).

Maybe by tomorrow when we know which bowl there will be a nice online marketing piece one of our creative types can put together to make it Facebook friendly & put it on "one" thread here.

Gosh, look at the national media from both sides of the aisle who've said how Facebook & Twitter were such a grass roots-producer of votes on the Presidential Election Day).

➡️ UNT athletics may already have such an online bowl marketing piece on the drawing board now & once they have who, when and where details will probably launch it tomorrow.  THEN....Harry or Cerebus could use that creation &  dedicate one top of the page permanment thread for us to use as a "Share" with all our respective FB (or Twitter) pages & (subsequently) all our friends.

I think we'd all agree that we need to get a head start selling tickets to repeat our astounding success we had at the last HOD Bowl on 1/1/2014.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

:putting my show promoter hat on:

When it comes to Facebook, pace yourselves peeps. If you do any repetitive or consistent action, invitation, or call to action, Facebook will put limits upon you to slow you down. It's their business model; if it's important enough to send thousands of invites and messages over, it's important enough to pay for those actions as promoted content.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNTexas said:

Maybe a bit off topic but I've wished North Texas would ask a band like The Eli Young Band or Bowling for Soup (someone with Denton ties) to come out and play at Apogee on a game day. It would be cool for a bowl too I guess. I know several people that aren't North Texas fans who would go to a game if there was a cool band playing around the event. The Cowboys do it outside and it's really cool. 

The Gameday atmosphere would be better, more party like, which would be better for recruit's and fans perception. Mostly it would be more fun.

Eli Young Band will be playing for the Wingspan Gala this year in March.  Black (green) tie scholarship event held each year.  In the new student union again this year.  Table sponsorship  sales starting now. Hope to see some of you there this year.  You can purchase individual tickets as well, but don't think those are on sale as yet.

• Upvote 4

Also, I'm not sure how the funding project is/will go but we all saw that Baker wanted to build an indoor practice facility, would be a great time as well to have people donate as well... Do something like:

Game Tickets(Alone) say like 20 bucks.. (I'm sure tickets will be more but just a rough idea)
Game Tickets/ Pre-Game BBQ with Baker and President Smatresk field questions about the growth of MG Ath. for say 25 bucks per ticket

Game Tickets/ Pre-Game BBQ w WB & NS/ brick with your name/message or Coaches Dinner- 50 bucks

Game Tickets/ Pre-Game/ Brick/ Coaches Dinner(During Dead Period) 65 bucks

Stuff like this will help open up the Coaches along with the AD and President of UNT more to the public. Doing this allows fans A) to get in a Pre-Game BBQ for only a few more bucks which I think alot of people would enjoy because its just like tailgating and no worries about food/set up or tear down either... Also, it allows people who maybe not be very closely tied to the school that are only starting to become interested because of the "Success" to hear and meet with WB and NS and their vision for the entire school. 

Then offering people the ability to donate to buy a brick as well could add to the program a bit, but mostly it is meant to link people to the school. Also, the meeting of the coaches again, makes it so that the fans can enact with them will only bring more people in. We have heard about about the coaches outside of SL, EK, Reff, and GH are.. let more people experience that and it will truly add to the fan base as well. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

How about if I get every officer I know to go online and order their four free tickets (FFRick you can do this too...they love you guys as well) regardless of whether they plan to attend.  Then give the 500 or so tickets to students

Great idea...get it done

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Also, I'm not sure how the funding project is/will go but we all saw that Baker wanted to build an indoor practice facility, would be a great time as well to have people donate as well... Do something like:

Game Tickets(Alone) say like 20 bucks.. (I'm sure tickets will be more but just a rough idea)
Game Tickets/ Pre-Game BBQ with Baker and President Smatresk field questions about the growth of MG Ath. for say 25 bucks per ticket

Game Tickets/ Pre-Game BBQ w WB & NS/ brick with your name/message or Coaches Dinner- 50 bucks

Game Tickets/ Pre-Game/ Brick/ Coaches Dinner(During Dead Period) 65 bucks

Stuff like this will help open up the Coaches along with the AD and President of UNT more to the public. Doing this allows fans A) to get in a Pre-Game BBQ for only a few more bucks which I think alot of people would enjoy because its just like tailgating and no worries about food/set up or tear down either... Also, it allows people who maybe not be very closely tied to the school that are only starting to become interested because of the "Success" to hear and meet with WB and NS and their vision for the entire school. 

Then offering people the ability to donate to buy a brick as well could add to the program a bit, but mostly it is meant to link people to the school. Also, the meeting of the coaches again, makes it so that the fans can enact with them will only bring more people in. We have heard about about the coaches outside of SL, EK, Reff, and GH are.. let more people experience that and it will truly add to the fan base as well. 

I've always liked the idea of something of this nature. I'm surprised it hasn't happened as of yet. Have an alum path somewhere on campus perhaps close to the stadium or in route to the stadium. 50ish something dollars for an engraved brick with name and graduation year. Something like they already have around the Alumni Pavilion, but open it up for ALL grads. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I've always liked the idea of something of this nature. I'm surprised it hasn't happened as of yet. Have an alum path somewhere on campus perhaps close to the stadium or in route to the stadium. 50ish something dollars for an engraved brick with name and graduation year. Something like they already have around the Alumni Pavilion, but open it up for ALL grads. 

I'd buy one!

Things like this make people become emotional and financially invested into the school... even though it's 50 bucks it's for a game which is well worth 50 if they win.. but if it's an L, it's offset by the brick.. doing these keeps people coming back to the school and interested because of that small amount of $ invested

• Upvote 1

Make sure the alumni pre-game events are generation friendly.  I loved the New Years Event at the Tower Club, but that was pricey.  I enjoyed the battle of the bands at Fair Park but it overlapped with another event if I recall.  The bbq dinner was fun.  I liked it all but what about the students. They need a hyped up relevant experience for them and those of us young at heart.  I think of the situation at Billy Bobs in Fort Worth a few years back when Aggie was playing in the Cotton Bowl.  I went out to yell practice with a friend and then funneled into Billy Bobs with the masses to have fun the rest of the night. It was a mass gathering of Aggie fans all Johnny Football hyped up living it up.  It was fun.  Adler has mentioned this in the past.  We need high energy rallies that don't cost a fortune set up in places diehards and casual fans will drop into.  

GMG

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, NM Green said:

Make sure the alumni pre-game events are generation friendly.  I loved the New Years Event at the Tower Club, but that was pricey.  I enjoyed the battle of the bands at Fair Park but it overlapped with another event if I recall.  The bbq dinner was fun.  I liked it all but what about the students. They need a hyped up relevant experience for them and those of us young at heart.  I think of the situation at Billy Bobs in Fort Worth a few years back when Aggie was playing in the Cotton Bowl.  I went out to yell practice with a friend and then funneled into Billy Bobs with the masses to have fun the rest of the night. It was a mass gathering of Aggie fans all Johnny Football hyped up living it up.  It was fun.  Adler has mentioned this in the past.  We need high energy rallies that don't cost a fortune set up in places diehards and casual fans will drop into.  

GMG

age yell practice is that like we do before the game starts with the guy on the field?