Sorry Charlie

Harry

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Texas has reportedly fired Charlie Strong.  Seems likes good man but you have to win there.

You look at his success at Louisville and you wonder how much of it was because Miami was on probation. Made a huge difference in his recruiting classes.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1

Really shows programs pull the trigger on coaches too quickly. Both from a firing but also hiring perspective. Strong was at Louisville 4 seasons 10-13) and it was his first HC job. Really not enough time to establish himself as a consistently solid HC (multiple cycles of recruiting, managing his staff, and having to hire several good coordinators to replace departed coordinators). He really only had one QB his entire time at L'Ville which was Teddy Bridgewater (that he recruited) and Lamar Jackson wasn't recruited by him. Programs get desperate and pick up the first shiny object they find. Interesting to see where they go from here...

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Really shows programs pull the trigger on coaches too quickly. Both from a firing but also hiring perspective. Strong was at Louisville 4 seasons 10-13) and it was his first HC job. Really not enough time to establish himself as a consistently solid HC (multiple cycles of recruiting, managing his staff, and having to hire several good coordinators to replace departed coordinators). He really only had one QB his entire time at L'Ville which was Teddy Bridgewater (that he recruited) and Lamar Jackson wasn't recruited by him. Programs get desperate and pick up the first shiny object they find. Interesting to see where they go from here...

How many years has Herman been a head coach?

Just looked it up..this is just his second year as a HC? Will Texas pay huge money for someone that inexperienced?

Edited by GreenMachine
  • Upvote 1

I think the boosters around that program make a very difficult place to coach.  What they need is a complete new identity offensively and defensively. Also their recruiters need to be better character versus talent evaluators.  Too many "soft" five/four star recruits in the program.  Getting good athletes  to UT is no problem getting focused, mentally tough hard workers is the challenge.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I think the boosters around that program make a very difficult place to coach.  What they need is a complete new identity offensively and defensively. Also their recruiters need to be better character versus talent evaluators.  Too many "soft" five/four star recruits in the program.  Getting good athletes  to UT is no problem getting focused, mentally tough hard workers is the challenge.

Mac Brown saw the same issues especially his last few seasons. He could get talent but it never developed once it got their! Close 6th Street!! GMG 

1 hour ago, GreenMachine said:

How many years has Herman been a head coach?

Just looked it up..this is just his second year as a HC? Will Texas pay huge money for someone that inexperienced?

Why not? He's a tremendous recruiter, so at Texas he's going to get in classes that are absolutely loaded and he's beaten Florida State, Louisville, and Oklahoma at Houston. Plus he's called plays in a national championship game at Ohio State so he's been on the big stage, even if not as a head coach.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Why not? He's a tremendous recruiter, so at Texas he's going to get in classes that are absolutely loaded and he's beaten Florida State, Louisville, and Oklahoma at Houston. Plus he's called plays in a national championship game at Ohio State so he's been on the big stage, even if not as a head coach.

Man I hate to agree here.  I'd love for them to steal Herman.  One less G5 we have to compete with lol

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 2

I was pulling for Strong to succeed but everything I'd heard and read this season was it's not even just about the wins but the way the team looked coached and prepared and how terrible it looked from most of the national observers.  That said he was also the very first coach to follow a hall of famer and legend for the university and had ginormous shoes to fill. If I'm a coach going into a storied program, I wouldn't want to be the guy right after a legend but that's just me.  

And on top of that when he was hired Red McCombs didn't help things with his comments of how he was against that hiring etc.  Just a bad situation for him overall but the moment he decides he wants a new HC gig the line will form to the left so he'll be just fine.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Man I hate to agree here.  I'd love for them to steal Herman.  One less G5 we have to compete with lol

1. We have a big renegotiation for Herman, whether or not he signs it is up to him.

2. You're really naive if you think we're not reloading next year even if Herman isn't coach. (We have 17 starters coming back next year.)

3. UNT never has been and most likely never will be competition to UH.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 15

2 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

This happening may become my sports Christmas wish right behind a Mean Green bowl win.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Can The Onion release something along the lines of, "Players threaten to boycott further losses in midst of Charlie Strong reports"?

"Some of the team is threatening to win a game," a source told the paper. "Older players are trying to settle things down."

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Cougar King said:

1. We have a big renegotiation for Herman, whether or not he signs it is up to him.

2. You're really naive if you think we're not reloading next year even if Herman isn't coach. (We have 17 starters coming back next year.)

Oh really? Y'all recently joined a P5 conference? No? Ok then we're both G5s.  You guys are much further to the top of G5 than we are.  But things change, and can change fast.  Look no further than your schools football program the last 2 seasons.  

Also, I never said y'all weren't going to be good. I recognize a damn good coach and recruiter when I see one.  That is Herman he will more than likely bring a lot of guys from Houstons staff.  Bd I want To be able to take good prospects that Houston has been getting, and turn them into UNT football players. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

You look at his success at Louisville and you wonder how much of it was because Miami was on probation. Made a huge difference in his recruiting classes.

It's always a risk when you are pulling a guy from the sidelines of a lower level school.  Strong was a great DC at Florida.  A great mid-major head coach. 

But, when you are at a P5, your competition level is higher every week during the conference schedule.  Beating the likes of Houston, SMU, and Tulane regularly isn't on par with slugging it out with OU, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, etc. week in and week out during the year.

That's why you have to wonder about the 'Horn fans clamoring for UH's head coach.  Sure, he's dominated AAC, but he's lost to Connecticut and SMU as well. 

Strong will be fine.  At least schools know where his level is.  Texas took a risk, yes.  But, they didn't take 1/10th risk that Texas Tech did when they hired Hairgel Hands then erroneously showered him with contract extensions through 2020.

Texas is fine and can buy their way out of a failed risk.  Tech...they need to buy their way out, but put themselves in a bad situation financially after giving Hairgel Hands an extention for going a mere 8-5 in his first year.  The guy he replaced went 8-5 his last year...no improvement at all and they heaped and extension onto an already laughably bad contract.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Houston has had a recent track record of making good hires and staying good for some time now.  As of now I'd say we're not really competing with them because they're just way ahead of us but that's ok.  Things can change instantly and we all know much of this all goes in cycles.

14 hours ago, Green Mean said:

I was pulling for Strong to succeed but everything I'd heard and read this season was it's not even just about the wins but the way the team looked coached and prepared and how terrible it looked from most of the national observers.  That said he was also the very first coach to follow a hall of famer and legend for the university and had ginormous shoes to fill. If I'm a coach going into a storied program, I wouldn't want to be the guy right after a legend but that's just me.  

And on top of that when he was hired Red McCombs didn't help things with his comments of how he was against that hiring etc.  Just a bad situation for him overall but the moment he decides he wants a new HC gig the line will form to the left so he'll be just fine.

Ever heard of Fred Akers?  He had shoes to fill.

5 hours ago, Cougar King said:

1.  He won't.  He's gone once UT or A$M comes calling.

2. Reloading is filling what will be emptied, graduates and transfers.  Let's see how many transfer out if Herman leaves and what recruiting looks like with his replacement.

3. Better check you historical facts.  We are not currently at the same level, but you've hit the glass ceiling, won't be moving up to P5, so we will be there soon enough.

• Upvote 1