MGB: Ryan Rentfro has elected to leave the program, roster update

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

mp,550x550,matte,ffffff,t.3u4.jpg

Igualmente.

Remember, Rentfro was originally committed to ULM; but, then we stole him from them.  That was the good news.

Here is my question, though: is it bad that they all struggled with the new offense in the spring?  How different is it really going to be because no offensive lineman - starter, backup, new signee, transfer, etc. - has played in this offense before either, so...what's the diff?  Aren't they all really starting off at square one, anyway, in this new offense?

That's actually four questions when, originally, I thought I just had one.  Can anyone supply an answer(s), please?

I mean, in my mind, telling me they struggled with a new offensive is like telling me chiggers are itchy.  Isn't that something we already knew and/or expected?

In the end, if we can get to a point where we are like the Ohio Bobcats under Frank Solich - bowl quality year in and year out - I'd be pleased as punch, with or without the linemen recruited for a more 50/50 run-pass ratio attack as we had under McCarney/Chico.

Thoughts?  Concerns?

• Upvote 2

These were on the roster last year and are now gone:

Gavin Culberson WR

Luke Davis DS

E J Ebozue WR

A J Ezzard RB

Christian Flewellen FB

Avery Fortenberry OL

Jousten Garror  LB

Darin Kyle  DS

Kyle Mealey  OG

Marcel Porter  RB

Derris Prater  WR

Ryan Rentfro  OG

Jordan Siegert  OT

Dakota Smith  DE

Harrison Sorge  OL

Only five had any game experience.  Of course, Kirby is the biggest loss; a starter who had appeared in 35 games.  Rentfro had appeared in 14 games, however, I believe that his assumed starting position would go to Cody Hayes (if he shows up).  Ezzard was in 6 games last season but the addition of Nic Smith made him expendable.  Fortenberry had appeared in 4 games but did not appear capable of making the first two units.  Harrison Sorge had only been in 1 game.

Edited by GrayEagle

I don't know one thing about this situation.  However, here's a guy that has played in a backup role for 3 years.  He finally is projected to start and he gives up football.   Did he graduate ?  If not, is he going to pay his own tuition ?  Did he play in the spring game ? 

As I said, I don't know anything about this but it seems the time to quit would be before all the blood, sweat, and tears. 

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

You are assuming that Willy Ivery will be back in the fall.

I would expect Ivery to flex out into a slot quite a bit with his pass-catching ability & shiftiness in space.  I believe Wilson can be a 3-down back, but Smith should be able to spell him and Tucker has shown flashes when he's not hurt.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I would expect Ivery to flex out into a slot quite a bit with his pass-catching ability & shiftiness in space.  I believe Wilson can be a 3-down back, but Smith should be able to spell him and Tucker has shown flashes when he's not hurt.

Did I miss something?  Ivery was out during the spring for grades--is he a definite go for the fall?

2 hours ago, drex said:

New coach always means turnover.

Littrell has to clean the thing out. This bunch quit on the university and gave us the ignominious glory of suffering the worst loss in modern college history. As Drex said, turnover is natural with a coaching change. It was absolutely necessary here. We are trying to dig out of the biggest hole in our program's post I-aa existence, at least since Fry took over in the early 70s.

Just try to realize this when you are watching games this season. Littrell may not be the long term answer, but even if he goes 0-12--and it's VERY possible--we really won't know at all if he is a bust because of how bad things are here and the fact that his offense is 180 degrees different from what the entire roster was recruited to play in. Only game we should win is Butt Cookman--and that may very well be close because of our low scholarship player totals on the roster.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

As a FMer, I tried to watch Ryan in isolation when he got in the games. I never felt he was comfortable in the OLD system, much less the new. I am not a technique guy and know a lot less than many of you here, but I didn't see him do enough to want him to start over anyone else on that line. I am not convinced that college athletes let message boards affect their "want" but he apparently took his twitter account down...perhaps related to the flack he got for some controversial remarks that were so controversial, I can't remember them now.

Friends family's whose sons played with Ryan said he was a great guy. I wish Ryan success and hope that he chooses to finish his college, here or elsewhere.

GMG

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Gavin Culberson WR

Luke Davis DS

E J Ebozue WR

A J Ezzard RB

Christian Flewellen FB

Avery Fortenberry OL

Jousten Garror  LB

Darin Kyle  DS

Kyle Mealey  OG

Marcel Porter  RB

Derris Prater  WR

Ryan Rentfro  OG

Jordan Siegert  OT

Dakota Smith  DE

Harrison Sorge  OL

Only five had any game experience.  Of course, Kirby is the biggest loss; a starter who had appeared in 35 games.  Rentfro had appeared in 14 games, however, I believe that his assumed starting position would go to Cody Hayes (if he shows up).  Ezzard was in 6 games last season but the addition of Nic Smith made him expendable.  Fortenberry had appeared in 4 games but did not appear capable of making the first two units.  Harrison Sorge had only been in 1 game.

Most of these guys were worthless in terms of program contribution. Kirby is the only notable loss and Ezzard seemed to be a decent player in scrimmages (with no real chance to play on Saturdays). 

10 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Gavin Culberson WR

Luke Davis DS

E J Ebozue WR

A J Ezzard RB

Christian Flewellen FB

Avery Fortenberry OL

Jousten Garror  LB

Darin Kyle  DS

Kyle Mealey  OG

Marcel Porter  RB

Derris Prater  WR

Ryan Rentfro  OG

Jordan Siegert  OT

Dakota Smith  DE

Harrison Sorge  OL

Derris Prater really? Didn't he have like 9 catches for 127 yards in the spring game? Hard to believe he would be gone. He looked good out there