Rick Villarreal stepping down as AD

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, Eagle-96 said:

I think it solidifies the opinion that Smatresk was the one to make the hire. This is a strange resignation. Most in RV's position would, at the very least, coast until February 2017 and collect a check until the contract runs out. Also he might think of the outside chance that Littrell and Benford each make runs next season and RV thinks he can get an extension. If the teams fail, then he still runs out the string. Hopefully this is not related to anything medical. I may not like his performance but I don't wish any ill will on him.

I think the President just finally got through to the Board. That's the only explanation for this. Fly has been quiet for a while now and there was already rumblings of dissatisfaction from the donors about this basketball season. I think Benford's season this year may have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

• Upvote 5

Just now, untjim1995 said:

It basically appears that keeping Benford for another year was the trade for getting rid of Rick Villareal. In that case, I'll gladly support the keeping of Benford for his 5th year to end his contract.

Or, they didn't want the president to make two major hires in lieu of a new AD. I don't know that Benford is safe now, but that's just me. Would that not be a call of the new AD? Don't know how common or uncommon that is, terminating a coach right off the bat after being hired. I think it would be warranted in this situation.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, HoustonEagle said:

As someone who was around to see just how pathetic the facilities were before RV's tenure I would like to say thank you for the accomplishments in that area.  I wish this ended differently with success and accolades for you and the school but you do have something to hang your hat on.  It is  no doubt time for some new blood but I wish you well sir. 

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Quoner said:

I hope RV sends the biggest plane banner over @UNT90's house on June 21

It is kind of ironic that his banner gets both a mention and picture in RV's AD obituary from Vito...we can laugh at it, but it appears that it must have had some effect, even if just a little bit at gaining the interest of the one beat writer we have.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 6