MGB: SMU lands player from Denton

Brett Vito

Stop Brett.  It's embarrassing.  If the DMN beat writer (Haircropolus or whatever... I defer to Tasty on spelling) were to write an article about UNT getting a commit from a player that SMU didn't offer just because they are from HP or close to the campus that would be deemed embarrassing to their fanbase for different reasons than you speculate.

3 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

smoo is beating out Air Force, ut-sa, and SFA for recruits.  Good to see all their hard work starting to pay off.

Combine the salaries of AFA, UTSA, and SFA and you'll still have plenty left before you get to what SMU pays Morris...and that's who our beat writer is blathering about when they get a recruit from Ryan HS. Seems about right for Denton and our appreciation for all things UNT football.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hope everyone realizes this kid had OPTIONS, academies or not D1 schools looked at him and decided he could play.  These are the kind of kids you win recruiting battles for later because you have them on campus and they can sell your school to the more highly touted players who may have 10-12 offers.  Until we start winning these are guys IMO you have to bring in. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

You go to many HS games in Denton?

Why? They even returned tickets to Southlake Carrol a few years ago for a game on national tv. SLC bought those up immediately. Guess they don't have other entertainment options in SLC. Opps forgot that is a Denton standard cop out excuse!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

23 hours ago, DallasGreen said:

Why? They even returned tickets to Southlake Carrol a few years ago for a game on national tv. SLC bought those up immediately. Guess they don't have other entertainment options in SLC. Opps forgot that is a Denton standard cop out excuse!

Denton, although the same size or smaller than many one school towns, has three high schools with a fourth on the way. People follow the teams their kids attend instead of the whole town turning out to see one team. I grew up in and played sports in Denton and never felt we were not supported. 

You must enjoy playing to empty bleachers. Go to Lewisville, Plano, Frisco, etc. if you want to see metro cities whom really support all their ISD teams. Denton just sticks to its artsy, fartsey ways as the rest of the metroplex yawns in observing its backward ways of community non-support. BTW how did that stupid fracking ban work out for you??

• Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, DallasGreen said:

You must enjoy playing to empty bleachers. Go to Lewisville, Plano, Frisco, etc. if you want to see metro cities whom really support all their ISD teams. Denton just sticks to its artsy, fartsey ways as the rest of the metroplex yawns in observing its backward ways of community non-support. BTW how did that stupid fracking ban work out for you??

That whole situation is now nationally referenced in the media as the textbook example of how hypocritical conservative state legislatures operate. "Local control" be damned.

So part of that effort was achieved positively.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

24 minutes ago, DallasGreen said:

I guess you've never attended a Guyer game over the past few seasons?   Or, a Ryan game in the mid-late 2000's?  
Again, just like the rest of the Metroplex...  If you're a winner, people will come.  Your bandwagon will overflow.   If you're not winning, you're boiled down to your hardcore fans, and that's about it.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DallasGreen said:

He hasn't attended any games in Denton, just blasting those without any experience.  The fracking ban has nothing to do with me as I haven't lived in Denton in years, but I speak from personal experience and from having many friends with kids that attend Denton High, Ryan and Guyer, but don't let that keep you from your distant assumptions and generalizations.

I did go back for a reunion recently and the stands were full at DHS, as they were when I played ball there.