Seth Littrell's Contract Details

MGNation92

Sure it will. But I don't see us winning in his first couple years to the point of seeing a significant uptick in attendance. I can see us going 6-6 his first 2 years. That will not get the borderline fans on board. It will get the borderline fans to raise eyebrows. I honestly think that with our current situation and perception due to large part our AD (Ricky V), if Littrell goes 6-6 in consecutive years someone will swoop in and pick him up. Because that will be seen as "damn impressive", to come into a place like lowly North Texas and do anything of consistency and/or substance. 

You even said yourself that attendance isn't his direct responsibility so why put that in his contract, even if you write it in as an incentive?  He could do absolutely nothing to increase attendance (except win more games) and be rewarded for it.

I don't even think we've ever as a program averaged 25,000 or more in attendance, so that's a pretty lofty goal.  A frequent complaint by this board is the actual attendance versus tickets purchased being represented in the reported attendance, so if we did hit 25k average would the fans complain about whether it was actual attendance or reported attendance?

I find it funny that some of you still don't realize that Vito is purposely not being given information by the athletic department.  They prefer to give it to either Sidway or Barnett's kid. It's not like brett is lazy or anything but if they won't give him information then what is he to write about?

Payoff to Sidway for not transcribing what is certainly an embarrassing interview of Rick Villarreal like was originally planned?

Question. No answer...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

Payoff to Sidway for not transcribing what is certainly an embarrassing interview of Rick Villarreal like was originally planned?

Question. No answer...

Yep. It also solidifies that RV is somehow here to see through whatever the hell his "vision" is. If not, Sidway would've thrown that interview out on the net like bait. Laughing is good medicine so lord knows I would've read it all. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I don't even think we've ever as a program averaged 25,000 or more in attendance, so that's a pretty lofty goal.  A frequent complaint by this board is the actual attendance versus tickets purchased being represented in the reported attendance, so if we did hit 25k average would the fans complain about whether it was actual attendance or reported attendance?

Just because NT hasn't achieved something doesn't make it a lofty goal. Given the amount of students we have and alumni living within an hour drive of campus, 25,000 should be a disappointing attendance and the fact that we've reached it so little is a downright embarrassment. 

With that said, I agree it shouldn't be a contract incentive for a head football coach. 

• Upvote 1

I find it funny that some of you still don't realize that Vito is purposely not being given information by the athletic department.  They prefer to give it to either Sidway or Barnett's kid. It's not like brett is lazy or anything but if they won't give him information then what is he to write about?

I don't get the shunning of Brett Vito. He is the only journalist that has covered us and provided content via blog & newspaper. Seems very immature, egotistical and downright stupid to cold shoulder publicity. I would guess that you guess the number more people read the Denton paper than the NT Daily. Seems like bad business, but we shouldn't expect much business etiquette from Ricky V unless it's at some pizza parlor. 

• Upvote 3

Question. No answer...

That was the first thing to pop into my head when Scott had the contract detail scoop before Vito. I truly hope that is not the case and will give the benefit of the doubt to Sidway. Although without the transcript of the interview as promised it's hard for us to surmise anything else. If Sidway posts the interview then it is probably a matter of him getting the FOI request in before Vito. THAT, I can live with. If it is as you think then what a crappy thing to do by RV and what a horrible position to be put in for Scott. But, that would probably be a good lesson to learn for his future career.

Probably because one received it first. UNT definitely controls the order of dissemination. 

Definitely a possibility but also has to do with which FOI Request was received first. These don't come from the AD department, they are handled by Legal and I seriously doubt someone in Legal is making a call on which of the two identical requests to fulfill first. It's really not some sort of conspiracy.

• Upvote 3

Can someone please SHOW me where it was being reported that Littrell was offered a higher salary or turned down a larger salary?

If it's all just rumors then...

Find it yourself.  I told you what went down.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 12

And why should I believe you? What makes you credible?

Yeah, for some reason I don't see any coach going from what was supposed to be maybe 1.2 a year down to 725K just for assistants who are not being poached as coordinators at P5s or anything. So we are increasing our assistant pay by 500,000 a year? We will see if that holds true. Something does seem odd about this. I think the original figure we were given was optimistic at best. Not saying this isn't a great value hire, but the conjecture that we will be paying our coach the highest in C-USA certainly isn't true anymore. But if you think about it, we are still paying McCarney so technically we are paying our head coach 1.5 million a year. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 2

Definitely a possibility but also has to do with which FOI Request was received first. These don't come from the AD department, they are handled by Legal and I seriously doubt someone in Legal is making a call on which of the two identical requests to fulfill first. It's really not some sort of conspiracy.

Vito put in an FOI request the very moment Littrell was officially announced. Because covering UNT sports is his full time job (poor bastard). Vito is also far more accustomed to the process, after filing umpteen hundred of these throughout his career. He probably has it down to a form fill in the blank template by now. 

Sidway didn't beat him to the punch. UNT absolutely chose to give it to Sidway first, just like the scoop on the coaching hire. Sidway has something to hold over their head, and appears to be using it. Otherwise, where is the transcript that was promised or a link to the interview?

UNT... Where conspiracies are real...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

So we are paying a one year college assistant who is going to be OC much more because the head coach took less money?

Ok...

Just consider the source.

For all we know Coach Littrell may have adjusted his salary and/or budget to enhance his recruiting budget.  And considering his knowledge of that area,..if so its a smart move.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Vito put in an FOI request the very moment Littrell was officially announced. Because covering UNT sports is his full time job (poor bastard). Vito is also far more accustomed to the process, after filing umpteen hundred of these throughout his career. He probably has it down to a form fill in the blank template by now. 

Sidway didn't beat him to the punch. UNT absolutely chose to give it to Sidway first, just like the scoop on the coaching hire. Sidway has something to hold over their head, and appears to be using it. Otherwise, where is the transcript that was promised or a link to the interview?

UNT... Where conspiracies are real...

I tweeted at Sidway the other day asking when he would post the full RV interview and got no response. He's responded to my tweets before so that's interesting.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, for some reason I don't see any coach going from what was supposed to be maybe 1.2 a year down to 725K just for assistants who are not being poached as coordinators at P5s or anything. So we are increasing our assistant pay by 500,000 a year? We will see if that holds true. Something does seem odd about this. I think the original figure we were given was optimistic at best. Not saying this isn't a great value hire, but the conjecture that we will be paying our coach the highest in C-USA certainly isn't true anymore. But if you think about it, we are still paying McCarney so technically we are paying our head coach 1.5 million a year. 

It does seem fishy, indeed. However, we are above the rest for thousands less...Need I say more? 

I tweeted at Sidway the other day asking when he would post the full RV interview and got no response. He's responded to my tweets before so that's interesting.

He didn't respond to you because he wants his very mentioning of posting this interview to go away because he now has leverage over the AD. Leverage that could propel him in his career. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It seems to me that attendance is EVERYBODY's business.

GO MEAN GREEN

Well, to a certain extent. But the person who is actually responsible is the AD and his promotions people. 

Here's an idea. In the spirit of Coach Littrells contract as discussed in this thread, RV should take a lower salary so he can pay his promotions people a better salary.

How about putting a 25K attendance requirement in RV's contract?

• Upvote 6

Well, to a certain extent. But the person who is actually responsible is the AD and his promotions people. 

Here's an idea. In the spirit of Coach Littrells contract as discussed in this thread, RV should take a lower salary so he can pay his promotions people a better salary.

How about putting a 25K attendance requirement in RV's contract?

Agree. What about other unrealized goals being in that contract too, like MGC memberships?