Anyone have anything on the DC

El Paso Eagle

You'd be wrong, the worst NT defense in history was 2008 under DeLoach.

We gave up 41.3 ppg this season. We gave up 45.1 under Mendoza in '07 and the winner and still champ is Deloach in '08 with our record high of 47.6 ppg. '08 was the Rice season. If you don't know what I'm talking about when I say Rice season, you didn't have to sit through that garbage.

Yes, but did his defense ever give up 66 to a FCS team?? I think that would immediately put this season's defense up as the worse.....

Edited by BigWillie

You'd be wrong, the worst NT defense in history was 2008 under DeLoach.

We gave up 41.3 ppg this season. We gave up 45.1 under Mendoza in '07 and the winner and still champ is Deloach in '08 with our record high of 47.6 ppg. '08 was the Rice season. If you don't know what I'm talking about when I say Rice season, you didn't have to sit through that garbage.

That is probably an overly simplistic way of looking at what makes each defense bad. I would consider a delta of points scored over each team's average that we allowed to be a better indicator. Basically, how much better did each offense perform against our defense when compared to their norm. It also doesn't take into consideration any other metrics or consider opponent quality, which was lower through the Dodge years than this past one.

Total yards allowed per game:

2007: 486

2015: 502

Same as above. We played a really tough schedule this year. The 07 team didn't play as tough a slate (despite some very similar qualities as this year's schedule: 5 home games and two P5s) because the conference was not as good as what we played this year and our offense was a lot more competent at moving the ball, while not necessarily at scoring, and giving the defense less time to defend. 

Either way, there is a lot more than a couple of statistical elements to consider in the whole thing. I am going a lot off of my memory of the defense in 07, and we didn't do anything besides sit in the base defense with corners 10 yards off without ever blitzing and never making an adjustment. If it wasn't statistically the worst, it was certainly the most frustrating to watch.

I think we can all agree, our defense has seen far too many lean years in the recent past.

• Upvote 3

This is the kind of hire that is a little too green.  We're going to need the DC to be experienced.

He would be VERY green.  But from the clinic's I have attended and the talking he did when he visited campus.  This guy knows enough football to be more than a great DC.  His energy and ability to relate to kids would help big time in recruitment.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He would be VERY green.  But from the clinic's I have attended and the talking he did when he visited campus.  This guy knows enough football to be more than a great DC.  His energy and ability to relate to kids would help big time in recruitment.  

He may work out, but if he were hired as the DC, I would officially be nervous.

• Upvote 1

Noah is a great recruiter. Extremely organized and knows how to play the game.   I would be fine with him coming back because I would see him this time really trying to tie himself to the Littrell staff and wouldn't leave at the first sign of dough.

Couldnt be any worse than Cosh right?

Lol.   Gonna need to raise the bar quite a bit right off the bat.  The big donors are shelling out too much money.

Noah is a great recruiter. Extremely organized and knows how to play the game.   I would be fine with him coming back because I would see him this time really trying to tie himself to the Littrell staff and wouldn't leave at the first sign of dough.

He GA'd under McCarney at IASt, and left as soon as he got a better opportunity.   He's not going to be tied to anyone.  Neither will Harrell or anyone else...

And, like Littrell, that's what we should be looking for.   I hope we have a bunch of Bowen/Joseph/Walters' on this year's staff hungry to move up...   Less Quartaros (dude tied to the HC).

Our defense was not good, but hardly the worst ever. I believe Mendoza gets that honor.

superlative

But the defense was poor.

To shift myself back on topic and less trolly, anybody have an opinion on Doug Mallory? Couldn't find a mention of him.

Runs the 4-3, decent experience. Former DC at Indiana while Littrell was there.

Currently LB coach for the Falcons.

• Upvote 1

superlative

But the defense was poor.

To shift myself back on topic and less trolly, anybody have an opinion on Doug Mallory? Couldn't find a mention of him.

Runs the 4-3, decent experience. Former DC at Indiana while Littrell was there.

Currently LB coach for the Falcons.

How 'bout this guy who was also at Indiana when Littrell was there... now at A&M coaching LBs for the past 3 seasons.

fired coaches still get paid what they are owed...

Even better point.

I just want a return to our historically hard hitting defense.  We may have lost here and there, but NT was always known as a team that would knock your pecker in the dirt.  I want a return to that attitude.

+1000 to the n-th

Yes, but did his defense ever give up 66 to a FCS team?? I think that would immediately put this season's defense up as the worse.....

Nope, we didn't stoop to playing FCS back in '08. We did give up 77 to Rice, 59 to ULL, 56 to Tulsa, and 52 to the MUTS though. You got some real juggernauts there.

• Upvote 2

I think Noah would be great.  He was supposed to be the DC in training.  I liked the way he coached the spring game and he's a good recruiter.  Cant fault him for tripling his salary.  He would put out an aggressive defense and the corners won't be 10 yards off.  

• Upvote 1

A Portland St. Team that lost their first game in the FCS playoffs (2nd round. They had a 1st round bye).

They weren't no N. Dakota St. 

I just want a return to our historically hard hitting defense.  We may have lost here and there, but NT was always known as a team that would knock your pecker in the dirt.  I want a return to that attitude.

And I just want to win freakjng football games. We haven't lost "here and there," we have lost everywhere. 

I honestly don't care if we arm tackle our way to 10-2, just get there. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1