Dickey could be the Memphis PERMANENT Hire

Mean_Green09

It's funny to compare two old school football coaches: Darrell Dickey and Dan McCarney. Both were brought up in and utilized ground game ball control offenses as coaches. But Dickey was able to evolve and change with the game and has OC'd a team into 6,000 yards of offense this season while grooming one of the top QBs in the country. McCarney wouldn't change his philosophy and got his rear fired half way through the season. Dickey is now a candidate for a head coaching job and McCarney will never get a chance to be anything more than a position coach.

All I know is I have been part of UNT since 1989 as a student and alumni...and good ole MFer Darrell Dickey is the only coach to win multiple *D1 conference championships and take us to multiple bowl games.....

Give em Hell DD

*Props to  DII 1994 Simon Southland Champs and 1st round playoff loss to Boise St team

• Upvote 2

Hope it works for him. His deteriorating health and Flannigan were likely a large part of his not so happy departure from Denton. Can we get a coach with a healthy heart who avoids the smokes and buffets this time around? Same goes for AD. 

He was the one who hired Flannigan in the first place, and he is the one who wouldn't fire him, when (by most manager's standards) he had a chance. So IMHO Flannigan was a self-inflicted stress in his life. Dickey may have had heart problems but there was something else going on with him. If you saw his behavior/presentation at the last spring signing event, you'd know what I mean. I was very uncomfortable.

I think the biggest stress was the fact that he and RV really disliked one another. I don't know who wouldn't let RV fire DD back in 2001, but after the team went to the bowl, and three others after that, RV couldn't justify it. So this sick relationship went on for the next four years, until RV finally was able to find an excuse to let him go. 

But this had to be one of the most dysfunctional professional relationships I've ever seen. And the fact that it went on for as long as it did speaks volumes about how dysfunctional our administration and BOR are as relates to athletics....in particular football.

I personally liked DD, but I hated his indifference to OCC games and his team only playing hard during the conference. I've already posted several times his quote right before his last Texas game that pretty much said it all on that subject.

An argument can easily be made that the wrong person was fired back in 05. The main architect of this dysfunctional relationship is still around driving our program down as far and fast as his Jaguar can take us.

So here's hoping that DD's offense doesn't look like this any longer.....

Buick_Super_Serie_50_BW_2.JPG

...but more like this......

avenir%20front.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

Virginia Tech: Quick update to Justin Fuente’s staff at VT; as we understand it, Bud Foster will be staying on as defensive coordinator, and on the defensive side of the ball secondary coach Torrian Gray and defensive line coach Charley Wiles will both be retained. On offense, Holman Wiggins (WRs) and James Shibest (TEs / STC) are coming with Fuente from Memphis and we understand that co-offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Brad Cornelson will join the Hokies after Memphis’ bowl game, per source.

Found this on the scoop. Seems interesting that Fuente is bringing Cornelson after the bowl but Dickey isn't mentioned with the other O coaches heading to VT. Is he going to take Dickey if Dickey doesn't get the Memphis head job? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

All I know is I have been part of UNT since 1989 as a student and alumni...and good ole MFer Darrell Dickey is the only coach to win multiple *D1 conference championships and take us to multiple bowl games.....

Give em Hell DD

*Props to  DII 1994 Simon Southland Champs and 1st round playoff loss to Boise St team

They weren't DII. They were 1AA.

Looks like it's not going to be Dickey at Memphis after all

Edited by BillySee58

That Offense was all Fuente, Dickey was just there to provide guidance to the head coach.  Someone posted a really good ESPN article about Fuente wanting a former head coach to help him thru the transition period.  DD did well in the role he was asked to do!  His influence on offenseive play calling was very minimal!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1