Mike Jinks!!

TheReal_jayD

After reading more about him. Out of all the realistic possible choices for next coach at UNT. He could very well be my new favorite candidate. Now don't get me wrong I LOVE Fritz, Applewhite, Norvell, Riley, Briles, and Thomsen. But I don't think that a few of these are ready or willing to take over a program like UNT and I think Fritz next move will be to a P5 school. Now here are the reason why I think Jinks would be a good fit.

1) There is several similarities with him and Papa Briles. Longtime and successful High school head coaches. Both running back coaches at Tech. And both in the their early 50s when they get their first shot at coaching D1 football if Jinks came to UNT. 

2) He would bring an uptempo offense 

3) Lots of Texas ties. I would hope he would get some assistants to help build relationships with DFW and east texas area. but as far as the San Antonio area it sound like he is a living legend down there and could really open up a pipeline out of their. And I think we all would love picking players right out of UTSA backyard. 

4) UTSA is practically begging for this guy to be their next head coach on their message boards. He is like the Lincoln Riley, Briles or Fritz of rowdy talk. So it would be nice to snag him right out from under them.

5) Kliff had to think alot of him to promote him to associate HC in a short time. 

6) I think he would be energize and has a tract record of winning. As long as he can bring in good assistants I think he would be about the best hire we can make at this points. Definitely hands down better than anyone else on Vito lists unless the mystery candidate is golden ticket. Idk just my opinion may be way off

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

After reading more about him. Out of all the realistic possible choices for next coach at UNT. He could very well be my new favorite candidate. Now don't get me wrong I LOVE Fritz, Applewhite, Norvell, Riley, Briles, and Thomsen. But I don't think that a few of these are ready or willing to take over a program like UNT and I think Fritz next move will be to a P5 school. Now here are the reason why I think Jinks would be a good fit.

1) There is several similarities with him and Papa Briles. Longtime and successful High school head coaches. Both running back coaches at Tech. And both in the their early 50s when they get their first shot at coaching D1 football if Jinks came to UNT. 

2) He would bring an uptempo offense 

3) Lots of Texas ties. I would hope he would get some assistants to help build relationships with DFW and east texas area. but as far as the San Antonio area it sound like he is a living legend down there and could really open up a pipeline out of their. And I think we all would love picking players right out of UTSA backyard. 

4) UTSA is practically begging for this guy to be their next head coach on their message boards. He is like the Lincoln Riley, Briles or Fritz of rowdy talk. So it would be nice to snag him right out from under them.

5) Kliff had to think alot of him to promote him to associate HC in a short time. 

6) I think he would be energize and has a tract record of winning. As long as he can bring in good assistants I think he would be about the best hire we can make at this points. Definitely hands down better than anyone else on Vito lists unless the mystery candidate is golden ticket. Idk just my opinion may be way off

I looked him up. Looks good on paper. He's not that flashy hire that I think we need but I wouldn't be absolutely terrified about him. At the same time, with the names bring thrown around he's still my 3rd or 4th choice. Knowing my luck, he'll be our next HC. 

• Downvote 2

I looked him up. Looks good on paper. He's not that flashy hire that I think we need but I wouldn't be absolutely terrified about him. At the same time, with the names bring thrown around he's still my 3rd or 4th choice. Knowing my luck, he'll be our next HC. 

yeah I def understand what your are saying. I am just making a point if it is between Mike Jinks and Tim Horton (or a guy in that range) i will be doing a celebratory dance to get Jinks.. 

miscellaneous_121.gif~c200

• Upvote 2

I like this guy.  My tech friend says there are a lot of tech alum who would take him over kilff and move kliff to oc.  Good texas hs coach at a power house in a under recruited area for us.  I like Riley more, but he's number two on my list.  I do agree that he is someone we could get for less than we are offering, but we will need to compensate our coordinators and position coaches better to take the next couple of steps, so those funds can go towards them.

• Upvote 2

I like this guy.  My tech friend says there are a lot of tech alum who would take him over kilff and move kliff to oc.  Good texas hs coach at a power house in a under recruited area for us.  I like Riley more, but he's number two on my list.  I do agree that he is someone we could get for less than we are offering, but we will need to compensate our coordinators and position coaches better to take the next couple of steps, so those funds can go towards them.

What could possibly go wrong?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, getting a coach who was successful at a Texas HS powerhouse has been such a failure for Baylor. The difference between in background between Dodge and Briles and Jinks is current P5 assistant experience. The path is HS head coach to college assistant and then going beyond. 

Apples to oranges. Briles had 5 years experience as a college head coach at Houston before going to Baylor. Jinks has no college head coaching or coordinating experience. Jinks has a total of 3 years as a position coach. Now if you want to compare Briles success at Houston to Jinks coming here that's more apples to apples as Briles had 3 years as Techs RB coach before going to Houston. That is a comparison I can get behind. Briles needed 3 years at each school before he got Houston and Baylor rolling. That is a testament to his recruiting and how important recruiting is. 

• Upvote 3

Apples to oranges. Briles had 5 years experience as a college head coach at Houston before going to Baylor. Jinks has no college head coaching or coordinating experience. Jinks has a total of 3 years as a position coach. Now if you want to compare Briles success at Houston to Jinks coming here that's more apples to apples as Briles had 3 years as Techs RB coach before going to Houston. That is a comparison I can get behind. Briles needed 3 years at each school before he got Houston and Baylor rolling. That is a testament to his recruiting and how important recruiting is. 

I was comparing Art Briles going to Houston with Mike Jinks coming to UNT. and I Jinks coming to UNT follows with the same success that Briles had at Houston can catapult Jinks to an even bigger job and help put the UNT job back on the map. 

UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON 

111 GAMES BEFORE BRILES 

32-79

WITH BRILES 

34-28

I believe we would all be okay with Jinks going 34-28 with a couple bowls games.

UNT is 73-140 in past 213 games 

• Upvote 2

I was comparing Art Briles going to Houston with Mike Jinks coming to UNT. and I Jinks coming to UNT follows with the same success that Briles had at Houston can catapult Jinks to an even bigger job and help put the UNT job back on the map. 

UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON 

111 GAMES BEFORE BRILES 

32-79

WITH BRILES 

34-28

I believe we would all be okay with Jinks going 34-28 with a couple bowls games.

UNT is 73-140 in past 213 games 

Agreed. I think that Jinks can be successful here at UNT as he is taking the same path as Briles did at Tech before taking the head coaching job at a G5 school. I was commenting more on VE's comment that Briles worked out for Baylor. I just want to know If Jinks buys into the Air Raid concept or he is just a running backs coach at a school that happens to run a wide open offense. I am more interested in what Mike Jinks' offensive and defensive philosophies are rather than what he happens to coach now.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, getting a coach who was successful at a Texas HS powerhouse has been such a failure for Baylor. The difference between in background between Dodge and Briles and Jinks is current P5 assistant experience. The path is HS head coach to college assistant and then going beyond. 

It was a joke. These are testy times around here. 

• Upvote 1

Fixed it for you. Briles is not happening

Why are we so sure Briles wont happen? He did put his own name in the hat? (According to Brett Vito) I think there is real interest from Briles, But we wont be the only school talking to the guy. Maybe a better job comes a long for him, but for now I am holding out hope. We need a coach that rings in some kids ears and I'm not sure Jinks gives us that? 

GMG!!!

Edited by medpilot21
  • Upvote 2

Why are we so sure Briles wont happen? He did put his own name in the hat? (According to Brett Vito) I think there is real interest from Briles, But we wont be the only school talking to the guy. Maybe a better job comes a long for him, but for now I am holding out hope. We need a coach that rings in some kids ears and I'm not sure Jinks gives us that? 

GMG!!!

I'm not sure he won't happen.  I won't discount anyone until we've hired someone else or that coach has signed a new contract somewhere else. 

GMG!!!

He could pull a Billy Gillespie and say he isnt going any where, get a fat contract and then end up going. In this case anyone that says they are not interested could just be playing politics or could generally not be interested in the job