Mark Mangino Meeting with UNT?

Ryan Munthe

I dropped Mangino's name like five times in the last Podcast, when the topic of "Next Head Coach" came up, and no one said anything. I did not bring up his name because I think we need him, but because I guessed at the logic behind our hiring practices. I wouldn't be surprised if we are planning to meet with him, or already have met with him. And I'm even less surprised that we would deny it.

Yes Mangino was the OC at Oklahoma when they won there last national title, and yes he did an amazing job at Kansas. But all those things happened a long, long time ago. The game has moved on since then. Everyone runs a spread type offense now. Mangino isn't the the perfect combination of Texas name, great recruiter, and modern high powered offensive genius we all hope to land. If he is RV's first choice, then this is just another reason we need new leadership. Right now, there are better options.

But as the season goes on, and more head coaching jobs open up, our options will dwindle. Like many on this board, I'd prefer we get a younger experienced OC, from a winning program, with a good name in Texas recruiting. Of course, I could see Mangino's name surfacing later, if Briles, Cumbie, Applewhite, and other names were to be taken by programs higher up on the food chain. But Mangino certainly shouldn't be the first name to come out in our coaching search.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

As in he solely focuses on offense and not defense? And even then his offense isn't really that good?

Offense was good enough to win a BCS bowl game at a perennial basketball school... However I am with the mob on this one. He hasn't been relevant in years. Nor do I think he can connect with modern recruits. I do like us meeting with a name that has some national notoriety.

Offense was good enough to win a BCS bowl game at a perennial basketball school... However I am with the mob on this one. He hasn't been relevant in years. Nor do I think he can connect with modern recruits. I do like us meeting with a name that has some national notoriety.

If that's the starting point - not a bad start.

• Upvote 1

I, for one, am sorry to hear that it is probably not true.  I would love to have Mark Mangino.  The man was both a Broyles Award winner and an AP Coach of the Year.  He won an Orange Bowl at Kansas (Kansas!!).  Those of you who compare him to Dan McCarney have no idea what you are talking about.  The man would have us competing for C-USA titles every year, no doubt.  I'm going to end up so mad when we get freaking Spav....

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1