Mark Mangino Meeting with UNT?

Ryan Munthe

Well, Mangino wasn't there when "KU's history of suckitude came back to them," so I don't know that you've actually found a cause/effect relationship.  Mangino's Jayhawks finished ahead of Snyder's Wildcats the last season before Snyder's "retirement."

And Mangino's recruiting was more out of Texas than anywhere else.  So it wasn't as if he was the only, or even primary, coach he was recruiting against.

Check out when Mangino's last year occurred and when Snyder came back to the sidelines...I believe you will see that they both occurred in 2009. And KSU beat KU again for the first time in 4 years in Snyder's first year back. Mangino was gone at the end of the season, Snyder's team went on another solid run upwards, and Turner Gill, Charlie Weis, and poor Tim Beaty have been caught in a whirlwind of suck ever since...

Does he excite the fanbase? No

Will he put energy back into the program? No

Will he be able to relate with the new age of recruits? No

What you did at Kansas is all well and good. I agree he would be a better hire then Mac. However, I cant see how he is what our program needs. None of these kids now will remember what he did at Kansas nor will they care.

^^^^^

Does he excite the fanbase? No

Will he put energy back into the program? No

Will he be able to relate with the new age of recruits? No

What you did at Kansas is all well and good. I agree he would be a better hire then Mac. However, I cant see how he is what our program needs. None of these kids now will remember what he did at Kansas nor will they care.

But you DO have to admit he is one hell of a motivator:

• Upvote 1

Mac at ISU? 

Dennis Erickson at Idaho? (the first time)

There are others I am sure... but too lazy to research.  Mangino had one great year and ultimately had 3 winning seasons out of 8.  If he showed more consistency, maybe I would feel good about him. But, he had one stellar year and without it, he doesn't show for much.   

We already had a guy that put up one strong year and didn't do much else. 

I think it'd be more fair to say that he had 3 seasons with less than 6 wins.  One season he went 6-6 and they didn't go to a bowl, another they went 6-7 because they lost the bowl game.  

• Upvote 1

Mac at ISU? 

Dennis Erickson at Idaho? (the first time)

There are others I am sure... but too lazy to research.  Mangino had one great year and ultimately had 3 winning seasons out of 8.  If he showed more consistency, maybe I would feel good about him. But, he had one stellar year and without it, he doesn't show for much.   

We already had a guy that put up one strong year and didn't do much else. 

Four bowl appearances and three wins in them = one strong year?  Is this that new Common Core Math we keep hearing about?

• Upvote 1

Check out when Mangino's last year occurred and when Snyder came back to the sidelines...I believe you will see that they both occurred in 2009. And KSU beat KU again for the first time in 4 years in Snyder's first year back. Mangino was gone at the end of the season, Snyder's team went on another solid run upwards, and Turner Gill, Charlie Weis, and poor Tim Beaty have been caught in a whirlwind of suck ever since...

Snyder's a good coach, and is the obvious cause of K-State's success when they have it.  But KU stunk long before Snyder got to Manhattan and will in all likelihood stink long after he's gone.

Sounds like Mac v2 to me.  Especially coming from ISU. No thank you.

High octane spread offenses?  Sure sounds like Mac to me.

HELL NO to Mangino.

Mangino's out of head coaching six years and only lasted 21 months as Iowa State OC before he was just fired. He had a great 2007, but was dumped two years later. At Kansas he was notorious for his lack of self control and anger issues. In one incident, after getting 21 parking tickets on campus at the same spot, he saw a student employee had written him another, chased him down in his car, then got out and screamed at him for over 10 minutes.

Given his extreme weight, I'd say he's a pretty old 59 for a build-from-scratch job that needs a lot of vitality. And he'd start bad-mouthing UNT when things got tough faster than you can say "I saw Coach Mangino at Golden Corral Buffet."

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I followed him while he was OC at Oklahoma.  I was impressed with what OU did while he was there.  I was surprised he stayed at OU as long as he did.  When he got the job at Kansas, I knew they'd do well.  They did.  His forte is taking programs that are gasping for air and turning them around.  He has proved he can do that.  As far as his health, Coach MaC is/was the picture of health except for that eye thing.  And he had a stroke.  I say let's bring Mangino, or similar, in for 3 or 5  and see what happens.  How bad could he be ?  We're the worst team in the nation.  We will hold the record for the most lopsided loss to a 1-AA school for many, many  years.  IF you hear somebody say that they're team is better than NT, you must agree.  Even Southern Meth has 1 win.  Us. 

I guarantee I could coach NT to a 0-7 record.  I'm surprised anyone is interested in the job. 

GO MEAN GREEN

Edited by greenjoe
  • Upvote 2