Driving me crazy

Hunter Green

FFR, I know you're right there with me on this because you're a purest like me. When/where did it start that an eagle "caws?" Even our idiotic marketing department plays into this. Eagles don't "CAW." Crows "caw."  Eagles "shreek" and have talons, not claws.  At old Fouts, when we needed a big play, the PA system would play a very loud "shreek."  LIKE A REAL EAGLE DOES!  

OK, now that's off my chest.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

Actually what you heard was the cry of a Red Tailed Hawk. An Eagle's cry is very high pitched and extremely wimpy. How do I know this?  Well, my parents travel the world birdwatching. They know common birds by their sounds. The first game they went to at Fouts they both yelled "Red Tailed Hawk" after they heard the cry. I know it's a technicality but we never played the eagle's cry. It would be very very sad and embarrassing if we did.  

But you make a good point

• Upvote 2

I was happier when we were the Eagles. Mostly because we aren't very mean and we can't pick a shade of green....

I personally love the Eagle Claw hand signal and the CAAAA!!! It is the first thing I do when I see a fellow alumni driving down the road or pass them by elsewhere.

It is much better than the U of H mini shocker!

FFR, I know you're right there with me on this because you're a purest like me. When/where did it start that an eagle "caws?" Even our idiotic marketing department plays into this. Eagles don't "CAW." Crows "caw."  Eagles "shreek" and have talons, not claws.  At old Fouts, when we needed a big play, the PA system would play a very loud "shreek."  LIKE A REAL EAGLE DOES!  

GO MEAN GREEN!

Yeah it's weak and incorrect like a lot of other things around here....I even saw someone walking around with it on the back of a t shirt at the Rice game.  I just shake my head.  

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

GO MEAN GREEN!

THIS is what 'drives you crazy'?

Not the dumpster fire at the Super Pit?
Not the spinning wheels at Apogee?

• Upvote 3

GO MEAN GREEN!

Count me among st the "purest" that absolutely hate this. I think that whoever came up with this idea(?) was operating on the notion that we should do "something" to accompany the throwing up of the "talon"...... even if it's idiotic. The typical response my grumbling about this is that the younger fans like it, and don't be an old curmudgeon. My response is doing something idiotic is not "doing something".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

what about a real-life nude eagle?   Scrappy is only wearing his birthday suit everywhere he goes.

I suppose it's a step in the right direction. if someone can find a old episode of Wild Kingdom with an eagle doing the Lindy-hop I will formally retract my statement. 

While we're venting I'd like to take a shot at the 'claw'.  Eagles have three talons (claws) forward and one behind NOT two forward as the sign has been bastardized to.  We used to have stickers with the eagle foot and (four) talons but I believe that someone in their infinite wisdom even changed that to two and one.

I don't know who changed it but the why is no doubt because it's easier to do.  

• Upvote 1

While we're venting I'd like to take a shot at the 'claw'.  Eagles have three talons (claws) forward and one behind NOT two forward as the sign has been bastardized to.  We used to have stickers with the eagle foot and (four) talons but I believe that someone in their infinite wisdom even changed that to two and one.

probably because the pinky won't lay-down flat against the palm for most people attempting a three-finger talon...thus it remains somewhat outstretched as well and can then resemble the Baylor Bear claw (hand-gesture, not the breakfast treat). 

also, Eagles neither play nor attend football games. so really the only real solution would be to rename this whole thing the University of North Texas Fighting Eighteen-to-Twenty-Two Year Old Student-Athletes. 

• Upvote 2

I don't think I'd ever seen a football hand gesture until I came to Texas.  

I've since learned that EVERY Texas school (even high schools) has one, and that even high schools seems to have that bendy elbow to the alma mater thing going on (I still completely don't understand that one and do my best to just follow the cheerleaders)

I guess grad students don't really count.  Nobody ever taught me any of this stuff.  I've just kinda observed and mimicked over the years.  All due apologies to the sensitivities I've offended the many times I'd doubtless done it wrong.  Perhaps Denton should be a zone where the wrong kind of claw is considered a hate trigger.

• Upvote 2

probably because the pinky won't lay-down flat against the palm for most people attempting a three-finger talon...thus it remains somewhat outstretched as well and can then resemble the Baylor Bear claw (hand-gesture, not the breakfast treat). 

also, Eagles neither play nor attend football games. so really the only real solution would be to rename this whole thing the University of North Texas Fighting Eighteen-to-Twenty-Two Year Old Student-Athletes. 

I bet you wouldn't say that to their face.

tumblr_lohwfooahu1qigl62o1_500.gif

• Upvote 3

-155ccc19d07e1426.JPGVisinsky_TCU-9.jpg?t=1294757116trads-03-bg.jpg

One world religion...a sign of the end of days.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

Actually what you heard was the cry of a Red Tailed Hawk. An Eagle's cry is very high pitched and extremely wimpy. How do I know this?  Well, my parents travel the world birdwatching. They know common birds by their sounds. The first game they went to at Fouts they both yelled "Red Tailed Hawk" after they heard the cry. I know it's a technicality but we never played the eagle's cry. It would be very very sad and embarrassing if we did.  

But you make a good point

Maybe we should change our names to the UNT Redtailed Hawks? Do it in a second if it meant winning.

• Upvote 1

I was happier when we were the Eagles. Mostly because we aren't very mean and we can't pick a shade of green....

I personally love the Eagle Claw hand signal and the CAAAA!!! It is the first thing I do when I see a fellow alumni driving down the road or pass them by elsewhere.

It is much better than the U of H mini shocker!

Still the Eagles.

Mascot = Eagles

Nickname = Mean Green

My guess is that the AD controls the media guide and that's why you rarely to never hear references to the Eagles or "UNT" within game productions.  

http://125.unt.edu/tradition/traditions-spirit