Wow, this is a first....

meanrob

utep has struggled like us over the years.

Yes but if you look at it in the perspective of We are in the recruiting Hot Bed of DFW and they are located in EL Paso, the middle of no where then they are doing great.

If you go back to 2009 We have a 27-46 record with one bowl appearance and they are 27-47 with two bowl appearances.

How in the world did you get that from his posts?

It's not just this forum he created. He is going around other forums and telling people it's not the end of the World and telling people to "go away" or "Get in a bath tub and give me a razor and let me help you." If my memory severs me right, it is meanrob doing this. And it seems like a tail tucking scheme to me. Call me crazy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Beats me. After 22 years I've seen plenty come and go and usually the loudest end up going. 

That's why I have been saying that he will go away before anything close to what he wants to happen will ever happen...just like the rest of the folks who leave here, the results beat them down, they want us to be like Texas or A&M or Tech or wherever their buddies went to school, and they clamor loudly for things to change ASAP. Then they finally realize that they are howling at the moon here and that they are gonna join their buddies as new "life-long" t-shirt fans of UT, OU, Arkansas, etc...

Lather, rinse, repeat...

• Upvote 2

It's not just this forum he created. He is going around other forums and telling people it's not the end of the World and telling people to "go away" or "Get in a bath tub and give me a razor and let me help you." If my memory severs me right, it is meanrob doing this. And it seems like a tail tucking scheme to me. Call me crazy. 

Oy vey. 

• Upvote 1

Then they finally realize that they are howling at the moon here and that they are gonna join their buddies as new "life-long" t-shirt fans of UT, OU, Arkansas, etc...

At least then they get to root for a team that has a chance to win, with coaches that believe they can, in a program that has made a commitment to doing so. Can you really blame anyone? I didn't go to NT because of their athletic programs. I honestly didn't even know UNT fielded a football team until I got to college.

I mean honestly, what's the point of rooting for a program that doesn't hold coaches accountable for winning? What fun is that? Because it's ours? There are a lot of ways to support one's university that have nothing to do with athletics.

I'm not cutting bait and heading home, but surely one could understand why a fan of UNT in general might hedge their Saturday with a team that at least acts like it wants to win.

• Upvote 1

eJiVfyw.gif

• Upvote 5

I agree. Just curious from the old timer's perspective have they ever seen it this bad before? 

Hate to think of myself as an old timer, but I guess I probably am.  I even remember getting my Mean Green fix once a week or so by fax!  By FAX!  I have supported this program financially and with season tickets ever since I graduated (even though I've lived in Connecticut for the last 14 years).  Short answer to your question:  no, I have never seen it this bad before and, quite frankly, deservedly so.  This is beyond ridiculous, IMHO.

• Upvote 2

I've been a hardcore fan for 22 years and I've seen a lot of anger and venom after bad losses, feelings of hopelessness after long seasons, calls for coaches to be fired, and a lot of people throw up their hands and give up. 

But I've never seen the torch and pitchfork rhetoric going on now. Some of it coming from people I wouldn't expect it from.

Not a complaint, just an observation. And that's saying something after 22 years of following this mostly losing athletic program. 

RV wasn't seen as the problem back during the DD & Johnny Jones days. He was seen as part of the solution. Most people here could fall back on good basketball during the dismal days of the DD & Teflon Todd eras. The best facilities NT has ever had, the men's & women's basketball coaching disasters, and the decade of losing football are all showing this thing is much, much bigger than simple coaching change. The most dedicated Mean Green fans have seen this. Something has to give and really soon....

• Upvote 4

Yes but if you look at it in the perspective of We are in the recruiting Hot Bed of DFW and they are located in EL Paso, the middle of no where then they are doing great.

If you go back to 2009 We have a 27-46 record with one bowl appearance and they are 27-47 with two bowl appearances.

your right we should be able to out recruit el paso, why anyone would want to live and go to school there beats me.  maybe it is because they have no admission standards, they take like 99.8% of those who apply.  Makes you wonder about that .02%.  I left there in 78 and never looked back.

• Upvote 1

At least then they get to root for a team that has a chance to win, with coaches that believe they can, in a program that has made a commitment to doing so. Can you really blame anyone? I didn't go to NT because of their athletic programs. I honestly didn't even know UNT fielded a football team until I got to college.

I mean honestly, what's the point of rooting for a program that doesn't hold coaches accountable for winning? What fun is that? Because it's ours? There are a lot of ways to support one's university that have nothing to do with athletics.

I'm not cutting bait and heading home, but surely one could understand why a fan of UNT in general might hedge their Saturday with a team that at least acts like it wants to win.

Apparently, you aren't alone in your thinking because the other 98% of UNT students and alumni look at UNT athletics like what you are saying...I guess my point is that if you are going to field a team, you should attempt to actually win at it beyond lip service. Otherwise, you'd be better off just dropping the sport if you don't care about it and just complain about how much funding it takes away from other aspects of the school.

Look, I want UNT to win at everything they compete in, especially against schools where we have friends and family who attended. But the embarrassment of UNT Football, to be specific, really makes me wonder why the university would accept this failure for so long...would they accept this in other areas of the university?

• Upvote 1

One thing I've done to help me from just completely losing interest at all after these losses is my won 24 hour rule (Well it's more like until Monday) I stay away from this site until Monday. It makes it so it's not so emotional when I read all of the doomsday posts. You can also kind of ignore some of the freak outs like you might a crazy person screaming to themselves walking down the street.

your right we should be able to out recruit el paso, why anyone would want to live and go to school there beats me.  maybe it is because they have no admission standards, they take like 99.8% of those who apply.  Makes you wonder about that .02%.  I left there in 78 and never looked back.

This is a serious question, what is the actual acceptance rate there? Like you said, they cant be strict or else they would only get folks that live with in 50 minutes of campus.

RV wasn't seen as the problem back during the DD & Johnny Jones days. He was seen as part of the solution. Most people here could fall back on good basketball during the dismal days of the DD & Teflon Todd eras. The best facilities NT has ever had, the men's & women's basketball coaching disasters, and the decade of losing football are all showing this thing is much, much bigger than simple coaching change. The most dedicated Mean Green fans have seen this. Something has to give and really soon....

This made me laugh. There was a time on this board where speaking ill of RV would, at the minimum, get your post deleted if not get you banned. The few of us back then who thought he was stumbledoofus had to keep our mouths (at least keyboard mouths) shut. Don't get me wrong, I understand why that was the popular opinion, but it's morbidly funny now.

• Upvote 3

man... i don't feel near as depressed as i did towards the end of the Todge era... i had to have my friend convince me multiple times to not wear the paper bag over my head trick...

as much as McCarney runs it up the middle... Dodge would run bubble screens... at least now I have a bowl game in my recent memory...

• Upvote 2