Wow, this is a first....

meanrob

The point is we shouldn't struggle. EP and UTEP have a bad reputation because if you aren't from there it really sucks. I lived there, it sucks. Denton isn't a hard sell. EP is, I'd never let my kids go there from a long list of reasons. 

The moral of the story is UNT doesn't hold anyone accountable for anything.

This^

Denton has turned into one of the coolest college towns in the state.  Outside of Austin I can’t think of a easier city to sell to a potential football recruit. We could argue that the academics hold us back some but unless we are competing with Rice every other school in our conference does not have better academics. (WKU and UAB maybe?)  So for McCarney to say it’s hard to recruit here is complete and total BS.  Its hard for HIM to recruit here.  Maybe you should change your message skipper or GTFO. 

• Upvote 5

<snip>

And, we sat in creaky, old Fouts Fields every autumn watching bad football, being dive bombed by crickets, praying that the toilets therein would reasonably flush from time to time.

<snip>

Wait, you mean Fouts had toilets?  I just remember a cement wall with a drain in the floor (that was before the upgrade to a trough).

Wait, you mean Fouts had toilets?  I just remember a cement wall with a drain in the floor (that was before the upgrade to a trough).

Personally, I enjoyed peeing against the wall. It brought back fond memories of countless trips to Reynosa, Mexico when I was a young man.

This is a serious question, what is the actual acceptance rate there? Like you said, they cant be strict or else they would only get folks that live with in 50 minutes of campus.

your right we should be able to out recruit el paso, why anyone would want to live and go to school there beats me.  maybe it is because they have no admission standards, they take like 99.8% of those who apply.  Makes you wonder about that .02%.  I left there in 78 and never looked back.

What's Rice's excuse?  How did they ever manage to compete with the likes of UTEP & UNT?  Must be their exceedingly low academic standards.

Edited by Aigle Vert
  • Upvote 1

Personally, I enjoyed peeing against the wall. It brought back fond memories of countless trips to Reynosa, Mexico when I was a young man.

Best.  Urinal.  Ever.  

It was quite amazing (shocking at first) when peeing on a wall with water running down the side - but offered a certain sense of freedom.  Maybe they should have saved the old Fouts urinal as a museum item.

• Upvote 2

The point is we shouldn't struggle. EP and UTEP have a bad reputation because if you aren't from there it really sucks. I lived there, it sucks. Denton isn't a hard sell. EP is, I'd never let my kids go there from a long list of reasons. 

Lived in both places and no way would i ever live in El Paso again.  It is a great place to be from and can not understand why I still have friends who live there.  I guess if you have never known anything else it is ok.

• Upvote 1

This^
Denton has turned into one of the coolest college towns in the state.  Outside of Austin I can’t think of a easier city to sell to a potential football recruit. We could argue that the academics hold us back some but unless we are competing with Rice every other school in our conference does not have better academics. (WKU and UAB maybe?)  So for McCarney to say it’s hard to recruit here is complete and total BS.  Its hard for HIM to recruit here.  Maybe you should change your message skipper or GTFO. 

Association of American Universities is the gold standard. No one in our conference is AAU. If a kid is playing football to parlay an education that matters than he is looking at Stanford, Vanderbilt or to a smaller degree Rice. UNT isn't getting those athletes. I am not crapping on our academics, but we aren't in the league w/ those schools. But neither are Baylor or SMU and they are way more $$$$$ than UNT.

Denton is an amazing town which keeps getting better since I left in 1998. The facilities are at the higher end of most G5 schools. The DFW area is host to many potential recruits that would love for their family and friends to have a short drive to watch them play. The University is failing. I was behind Mac till I heard his concrete quote. There is someone who is a good fit for us. This guy isn't. He sees excuses not opportunities.

• Upvote 2