Wow, this is a first....

meanrob

I've been a hardcore fan for 22 years and I've seen a lot of anger and venom after bad losses, feelings of hopelessness after long seasons, calls for coaches to be fired, and a lot of people throw up their hands and give up. Some of it coming from people I wouldn't expect it from.

But I've never seen the torch and pitchfork rhetoric going on now. 

Not a complaint, just an observation. And that's saying something after 22 years of following this mostly losing athletic program. 

well when you have a coach who has gotten more than 2x-3x the $$$ of predecessors and has not done much with it other than give coach speak, it is easy to see why fans are beyond frustrated with lack of results. At least DD and Dodge could complain about not having a nice facility or under paid Assts, DMac has no excuse 5 years in.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I've been a hardcore fan for 22 years and I've seen a lot of anger and venom after bad losses, feelings of hopelessness after long seasons, calls for coaches to be fired, and a lot of people throw up their hands and give up. 

But I've never seen the torch and pitchfork rhetoric going on now. Some of it coming from people I wouldn't expect it from.

Not a complaint, just an observation. And that's saying something after 22 years of following this mostly losing athletic program. 

It's honestly the first time since I started following back in '03 where I've felt like we could see games on a sunny, perfect day with less than 10k in attendance. Maybe even less than 5k if there's a hint of bad weather.

• Upvote 2

Why can't I attach a screen shot I did from our game vs Iowa I want to make a point from our defense. 

PM me what you are trying to post and I will put it in there for you.  THere's an "insert other media" drop down button on the lower right of the post box you might try.

Because a lot of us are tired of the excuses. It is excuse, after excuse, after excuse... I personally just want change, this whole situation here is not the, "hard to recruit" problem. It is the staff. And it will remain this way until we can get ourselves new and improved in the office and coaching our guys.

I feel like we had basketball to fall onto, but now we don't even have that to confidently cheer for.

In 2013, I couldn't even wait until Saturdays, and I would have to find something to keep my mind off of the anticipation. Now, I can't even stomach to watch them. I didn't even turn on the Iowa game. Seeing the final score, hearing about GREER, and the constant ignorance from our coach is just slaying me as a fan.

• Upvote 2

I agree. Just curious from the old timer's perspective have they ever seen it this bad before? 

I've been around about the same time as you (although I was a latecomer to gmg.com), and I agree that I have never seen negativity comparable to what I'm seeing now.  As bad as the Dodge years were, most games at least provided a sense of promise--oftentimes, they played well, won the statistic battle, but still ended up on the losing side of the scoreboard.  Barring multiple injuries, Dodge never trotted awful QBs out onto the field.  Whatever the reason, the negativity during the Dodge years was not nearly as intense or widespread as it is right now.

The closest I've seen was the Dickey days right before they went on the 26-game conference winning streak.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 3

I've been a hardcore fan for 22 years and I've seen a lot of anger and venom after bad losses, feelings of hopelessness after long seasons, calls for coaches to be fired, and a lot of people throw up their hands and give up. 

But I've never seen the torch and pitchfork rhetoric going on now. Some of it coming from people I wouldn't expect it from.

I'm glad to see some expectations and STANDARDS from a historically docile fan base.

About F'n time. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

There are no excuses for North Texas easily being one of the worst recruiting schools in the country. We didn't even get a bump up from the Dallas Bowl year.

Filling in the holes with transfers and walkons doesn't seem to be cutting it at this point, and the fault clearly lies squarely on Dan McCarney. If he and his staff were great at developing players that would be one thing, but I honestly think we recruited better during most of the 1AA period.

• Upvote 2

This staff can't coach, recruit, game plan, develop, etc. etc. etc. Our recruiting class is by far in the worst position I have ever seen a D1 recruiting class. There is no promise or hope to lean on and I think that is where the bulk of the problem lies. This is year 5. In 2011 most of us could have stomached this kind of start. In 2015, it's pathetic and shouldn't be tolerated. 2014, 2015 and 2016 are all a waste. They are 3 years of pitiful football with below average to bad recruiting classes tied to all 3 years. You @meanrob are insinuating we should all just tuck tails and accept what is going on. This isn't 1994. It's 2015. On the field results is what matters. The game is changing (in a good way) too fast to sit on our hands and just accept irresponsible decisions from any one on the staff or within the administration. 

On another note, as said for months and months, Andrew McNulty should not start another game. Run the wildcat all game or even take knees and punt. At least taking a knee is eating clock and our offense isn't going to gift wrap points and/or 20 yard fields for the opposing offense. I have watched a ton of college football in my short time on this round planet and I seriously can't think of a team that was as bad as this 2015 UNT team. We are not competitive at any point in any of our games except for the SMU game and that was because it was an ugly turnover fest. Once SMU realized they were the superior team with superior athletes they just ran high % plays and out athleted us to an easy win. We suck. badly. In year 5. And that is what is creating the animosity within the fan base. 

*Oh and our 150th (127(?) FBS programs) ranked recruiting class says hello.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I have been a fan of this team since I was a little kid which led to me graduating here so I would say I have been a fan for 22 years myself and 5 of those years I was a part of the Mean Green Club ("Booster") and season ticket holder which means I have helped pay for Mac electricity bills and part of McNulty's Scholarship so I believe I have every right to show my displeasure with ones performance or lack there of. I wear more green shirts than a grown man should and I am always rooting for my team every single Saturday and watch the games from beginning to end no matter what the score is and dont leave the game early. If I want to vent/bitch about a player/coach then thats my own right. Could you imagine the shit storm that would befall these two at a bigger university. They would tar and feather dummies at tailgates with pictures of Mac's face on them. I am still behind Mac because hes a good coach and a hell of a speaker but I wish he would pull his head out of his ass and start producing a good on field product and stop making excuses.

I will be a season ticket holder until I die no matter what my team produces or how they play. If UNT goes 0-12 for the next 5 years, I will still be there, I will be drunk in order to swallow their play but I will be there.

• Upvote 3

I've been around about the same time as you (although I was a latecomer to gmg.com), and I agree that I have never seen negativity comparable to what I'm seeing now.  As bad as the Dodge years were, most games at least provided a sense of promise--oftentimes, they played well, won the statistic battle, but still ended up on the losing side of the scoreboard.  Barring multiple injuries, Dodge never trotted awful QBs out onto the field.  Whatever the reason, the negativity during the Dodge years was not nearly as intense or widespread as it is right now.

The closest I've seen was the Dickey days right before they went on the 26-game conference winning streak.

it was pretty hot with Dickey around the time of the black jersey game. But at that time RV had not proved how bad he was yet. So now it is kind of a double whammy in that we need RV gone first.