Potential Games

ABrownGMG

Boise, Texas Tech, Kansas, Colorado, Colorado St., North Carolina, Syracuse (there are a lot of transplanted New Yorkers here, would draw a good crowd), Buffalo (see also Syracuse), Pittsburgh, Virginia, Kentucky, Arizona, Arizona St., UCLA, Cal, Utah, I could keep going. 

Also pretty much any team that the others before me have listed. If the average student walking the UNT campus has heard of them, I want them to come here and play.

• Upvote 2

How 'bout these "potential" games?

2016: SMU, @Florida, @Army, Liberty
2017: @SMU, @Iowa, Army, Lamar
2018: SMU, @Army, Incarnate Word, @Arkansas
2019: @SMU, Army, @Wisconsin, Abilene Christian
2020: SMU, @Army, @TexasA&M, ...some other FCS to balance-out A&M.

Sound good?   I hope so, because these contracts are already signed!

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

Wake Forest, Navy, Vanderbilt, K-State, Iowa State, Colorado, Colorado State, ...all teams we could conceivably beat.

I certainly agree with this list and more importantly the last six words.

To the list I would add Air Force, and a multiple game series home and home deal with Army that continues past the current series.

Edited by KRAM1

I thought bringing in Idaho as a guarantee game in 2013 was far preferable to an FCS.  I suppose Abilene Christian isn't terrible, but overall bringing in lower-tier FBS teams as guarantee games will generate more interest than any FCS teams.

• Upvote 3

I thought bringing in Idaho as a guarantee game in 2013 was far preferable to an FCS.  I suppose Abilene Christian isn't terrible, but overall bringing in lower-tier FBS teams as guarantee games will generate more interest than any FCS teams.

Agree.  We lucked into that Idaho game though.  With the implosion of the WAC that year, they were stuck as an independent and needed an entire schedule filled along with money to fund their program.   We gotta work with what's available.  Now, to get picky, SFA and/or SHSU would probably generate much more interest than Nicholls, Incarnate Word, Liberty, Lamar, & ACU... and they were also likely available.

• Upvote 1

I think there's a rule that a team can't use a FCS win more than every other year for bowl eligibility. If that's correct then we could be putting ourselves in a spot where we miss a bowl as a result. Of course that's in addition to the lowered interest in the opponent.

@Army of Dad

That rule was changed starting with the 2010 season. Hence the fact that RV has begun feasting on such cupcakes on an annual basis. The NCAA allows one victory per season over an FCS (I-AA) team to count toward an FBS team's bowl eligibility

Each year, a Football Bowl Subdivision institution may count one victory against a Football Championship Subdivision opponent toward meeting the definition of a “deserving team,” provided the opponent has averaged 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of grants-in-aid per year in football during a rolling two-year period.

page 316, here: http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D111.pdf

90% is 56-57 scholarships. The only conferences that don't meet this criteria are the Ivy League, Patriot League, and Pioneer league; all of these FCS (1-AA) conferences do not offer football scholarships at all - like Division III.

• Upvote 4

Assuming 4 home and 4 away for C-USA, that is SIX home games each year from 2016 to at least 2019.