ODU Not Paying Stipends

KRAM1

ODU is opting out of paying stipends for the first couple of years.  The President said no current athlete nor recruited athlete coming in this year was recruited with stipends. Interesting.  He also said that when they do start paying the extra funds must come from increased ticket prices and/or donations....not increases in student fees.  They will use the $450K provided by CUSA to stockpile funds for when they do pay the stipends.

Also saw that schools can determine to not pay some sports the stipends, but looks like football and basketball must be paid.  At least that is what I got from the article I read today in the Norfolk, VA paper.

Let the games begin and the lawsuits flow!  This stipend stuff is simply crazy.  A symptom of our entitlement society.  Sad state of affairs...but, that's just my opinion.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 4

Apparently room, board and an education is not enough.  I'll bet there are a heck of a lot of students at universities who wish they could somehow get on that bandwagon.  I love athletics, but there comes a time when we must face the fact that as Vern Lundquist once said 'in the department store of life, athletics is the toy department.'

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Honestly, I think as long as they stay within reasonable amounts, the choice was going to have to be to either provide stipends or give them the option to work part-time jobs.  I think a lot of people look at it as, "Oh, they have school paid for, what else do they need?" and leave out the fact that some of them live off campus (and not always by choice, depending upon the housing situation in a given semester), have no meal plan (at least for certain days/meals) and then of course some of the lesser factors always mentioned in the articles about this.

What it boils down to is that, with every school having different policies, and athletes having different living situations (and many not having families able/willing to help out with cost of living), you're going to have to let them get a job during the season or pay costs of living.  If not, whether or not *we* agree with it, there's a good chance the school or athletic department could have been held liable for someone going hungry and having health problems related to that, or any number of other possible outcomes that could pop up due to someone not being able to afford the basic necessities.

And yeah, I know, "tough times make tough people," or "make you appreciate life more later," but forcing someone to choose whether to accept tough times in return for a football scholarship has a LOT of other peripheral factors that come into play, and since our draft drought is an indicator of how unlikely it is that this will pay dividends in the future, we need to make sure that our guys, whose scholarships are in return for 1) entertainment and 2) some extra publicity, are able to eat and pay rent.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Tough times? Psh. But, hardly. 

I assume most of us can identify with having to choose between eating or paying rent, which has been a resounding factor in all of this...do you really want your starting tight end to have gone half the week without eating so he could pay rent, or be living in his car because he chose to eat instead of paying rent (if he has a car at all)?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Remember, FIU is located right near Miami which I am sure has a very high cost of living compared to other parts of the county.  And frankly good for them.  We don't really recruit against them and this will help them against The U and others who they are competing against.  I've been saying to the Florida school naysayers -- watchout!  Both of those programs are going to surprise everyone.  Too much damn talent down there.

I assume most of us can identify with having to choose between eating or paying rent, which has been a resounding factor in all of this...do you really want your starting tight end to have gone half the week without eating so he could pay rent, or be living in his car because he chose to eat instead of paying rent (if he has a car at all)?

Or stealing groceries from wal mart 

• Upvote 4

Remember, FIU is located right near Miami which I am sure has a very high cost of living compared to other parts of the county.  And frankly good for them.  We don't really recruit against them and this will help them against The U and others who they are competing against.  I've been saying to the Florida school naysayers -- watchout!  Both of those programs are going to surprise everyone.  Too much damn talent down there.

I agree. Add in the advantages (TV, money, & schedule) C-USA offers over the old Sun Belt and FIU and FAU have some big advantages in C-USA East.

I think the $6,000 stipend will affect Marshall's recruiting much more then ours.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

Jesse...that is a bunch of crap-ola.  No, not your post, just the fact that they want you to believe they can't eat and pay rent.  They choose to live off campus, they know the funds they have, and they can choose what they want.  High priced rent eats into available funds.  Tattoos and cell phones and cars eat into available funds as well.  It is more a matter of budgeting than it is is starving or choosing between rent or food.  Pure hyperbole.  Too poor?  Live on campus and eat in the dorms and learn to budget...get a roommate, eat at home not out...party less...study more.  Gee, it sounds like the choices most any college student will make from time to time without that scholarship helping with tuition, fees and books.  If you are too dumb to be able to budget you might just be too dumb to learn the playbook.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

My first job on campus paid $5.15 an hour. Can't pay for anything with that. Gotta be smarter about it...

So soph year I moved on campus working as an RA, Free food, free place to live. $72 a month stipend and I was not allowed to have a second job.

Cell bill, truck insurance bill (4 hour commute home for the holidays), emergencies here and there with no family support and you can see it could get a little tight.

Had bronchitis for 3 weeks before I worked up the courage to ask my friend for $21 to pay for antibiotics. Broke a finger and took me over a year before I could pay back the creditor for a now measly $300 bill. (No not all covered by my student health insurance).

So junior year I moved off campus and worked multiple jobs, blah blah blah, all the while going to school full time.

Give me a break fellas, these kids don't deserve 100 or 200 or 300 or on the high end 500 bucks a month while their university rakes up all kinds of revenues for their services?

• Upvote 2

@KRAM1 Serious question, do you have the same problem with those on Academic Scholarships getting full COA instead of just Books, Housing, & Tuition?

I know COA is a touchy subject for many a poor student and those on this board, but what non-student athlete is helping make several corporate entities billions of dollars? Not every needy Student Athlete ends of getting Pell or other Grants. I agree a college students ability to budget the check provided by the AD is a personal issue and I don't really see how four guys living in a house can't make it work, just like many of us did back in the day. 

Although I'm all for Student Athletes getting COA Scholarships, I wish they would tie these to actually requiring the student athlete to live on campus and be part of the University Meal Plans and I don't mean only at North Texas but for everyone getting a COA scholarship. As I've been told, if we can get 100 (I think that was the number) student athletes to buy into the full meal plans, the Victory cafeteria could be focused on providing meals specifically tailored to an athletes nutritional needs. Requiring athletes to live on campus and have a meal plan would give us that added benefit and could help advance our programs.

UNT athletics doesn't "rake up all kinds of revenues" for anyone's services.

Sure you do. Bet anytime there is an alumni event some dude from the academic side asked about athletics will talk about the publicity, exposure and name recognition athletics provides and the importance of aligning with peer institutions. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

AState is doing $4005 per scholarship per year in all sports.

No one is going to notice but in the non-revenue sports, schools without stipend will be much less significant in NCAA competition. Stipend is a true game changer in equivalency sports. The kid who was getting a third of a ride worth $5000 and $1300 in stipend and is left borrowing $8700 is going to take that over a third of a ride and borrowing $10,000 and the kid who was looking at a third of a ride at a non-stipend school will see that a quarter ride and quarter of a stipend is worth about the same amount.

Sure you do. Bet anytime there is an alumni event some dude from the academic side asked about athletics will talk about the publicity, exposure and name recognition athletics provides and the importance of aligning with peer institutions. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Publicity, exposure, and name recognition are all nice, but they aren't themselves revenue.

Publicity, exposure, and name recognition are all nice, but they aren't themselves revenue.

I understand your semantics try here, but even so, I spent money buying a hat at the coach's caravan. I won free tickets to a basketball game, and I expect to spend money on some sweet ass pretzels and coke while at the game.

Anyway, the publicity, exposure, and name recognition is what makes it really easy for folks shell out money for a jersey that says "College University Football", or buy season tickets, or donate money.

Example, when I go look for a North Texas football jersey at Target, what am I going to find? A jersey with the number 9 on it. Previously, you could find a jersey with the number 3, or the number 5. Even onesies with those numbers.

The players, (Harris, Chancellor, Dunbar, if you didn't catch that), are creating brand recognition that becomes revenue for their institution.

• Upvote 1