North Texas vs. SMU at 6 p.m. now

Geez, ya think?  One year ago we beat them 43-6.  Things haven't changed that much in 12 months for either team.  So, yes, we can win.

If Morris is the coach they believe him to be, then he can improve SMU enough to make them competitive with us. We could find our team in a dog fight. I don't believe Mac did enough to address our QB issues in the off season. Yes Smith is coming in, but not having him for spring ball really hurts. To be honest, aside from the Portland State game, I don't see another sure win on the schedule. Not trying to be negative. I love North Texas. But right now, I just don't know if we will get the production out of our QB that we need to win consistently. We didn't get enough out of that position last season, and not much has changed going into fall camp. SMU has made a complete coaching staff change. We don't really know what that team can do under Morris and his staff. I believe we will win, but not by a score of 43-6.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 3

The right coaching change or a new QB can do wonders for a program's performance and morale.

We didn't whip a SMU team that was at its peak last year; it was a sinking ship that never floated in the first place.  Our staff needs to prepare for the opposite in 2015: they will be upright and full speed ahead when we face them.

• Upvote 1

If Morris is the coach they believe him to be, then he can improve SMU enough to make them competitive with us. We could find our team in a dog fight. I don't believe Mac did enough to address our QB issues in the off season. Yes Smith is coming in, but not having him for spring ball really hurts. To be honest, aside from the Portland State game, I don't see another sure win on the schedule. Not trying to be negative. I love North Texas. But right now, I just don't know if we will get the production out of our QB that we need to win consistently. We didn't get enough out of that position last season, and not much has changed going into fall camp. SMU has made a complete coaching staff change. We don't really know what that team can do under Morris and his staff. I believe we will win, but not by a score of 43-6.

Agreed, let us not forget the difference our team had when Chico took over mid-season for Todd Dodge. June Jones quit on that team and if Morris is anywhere close to worth his pay, we are in for a much tougher game.

Also, let's remember the last time we played them in their stadium, we were coming off a 24-6 victory over them the previous season at Fouts. We went in to Ford and lost 45-31 and we were the ones with the new coach. We went from +18 to -14 in one season, don't think for a second that this will be an easy win for us. I am very nervous about this game.

• Upvote 1

We will beat them. It may be close, like under a TD, but we will beat them. Our gameplan in the early season heat will physically wear them down, not to mention the motivation factor that Mac will hit on as we prepare for the game. Mac knows how much this game matters to UNT fans--he learned it last year and we pounded them.

I do expect a close game, something like a 30-24 win. I don't see us clobbering them again, although its possible, as I think they are going to be just awful this year.  If we lose this game, only Portland State will be the other team we should expect to beat this year. A 1-11 year wouldn't cost Mac his job, but it would give us coaching staff changes in a major way. But the real hit will be in fan support for the following season, which would just be depressing for a coach entered what would be his sixth year at the school. Again, though, its not gonna happen--we will beat SMU this year. We may only win another 2-3 games this season, but we will beat them.

• Upvote 1

We will beat them. It may be close, like under a TD, but we will beat them. Our gameplan in the early season heat will physically wear them down, not to mention the motivation factor that Mac will hit on as we prepare for the game. Mac knows how much this game matters to UNT fans--he learned it last year and we pounded them.

I do expect a close game, something like a 30-24 win. I don't see us clobbering them again, although its possible, as I think they are going to be just awful this year.  If we lose this game, only Portland State will be the other team we should expect to beat this year. A 1-11 year wouldn't cost Mac his job, but it would give us coaching staff changes in a major way. But the real hit will be in fan support for the following season, which would just be depressing for a coach entered what would be his sixth year at the school. Again, though, its not gonna happen--we will beat SMU this year. We may only win another 2-3 games this season, but we will beat them.

I agree that we should beat SMU.  If not, we are horrible.  Not just bad with a possibilty of upside.  just plain horrible.  That SMU team we beat last year had talent issues.  Not just coaching.  We came in with a simple gameplan, on both sides of the ball and physically dominated them.  I would not be completely shocked if we lost though.  Last year we lost to a horrible USM team at home.  We can spin it any way we want, but the USM team was one of the worst in D1 football, and we gave up 30 to them.  so, it's possible.

If we do lose to SMU, or even USM on the road, we are looking at a 1 or 2 win season.  Mac should be fired.  True, we could have 16-18 starters coming back for 2016, but it wouldn't matter.  It would be a waste if those players are only capable of 1 or 2 wins with the current coaching staff.  May as well start the cycle over again and then we can say the next coach is only winning because of Mac's recuits...

I guess I'm going to have to add the Southern Meth athletic office to my speed dial.

I called again today (Friday 12:20) to ask about the North Texas Southern Meth game.  The nice lady that took my call told me that she had no information on the kickoff time for the game.  I reminded her that ESPN had the game set for (6:00) 7:00pm EST.  She reiterated that she had no further information but conceded that if ESPN said  kickoff was at 6:00 that that was probably correct. 

So I'm making plans for that day that will end with my watching North Texas pound Southern Meth into Ford Field.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 3

I weigh the winning percentage to UNT. I see it flipping within 2 years optimistically (being such a SMOO fan tho)

Yeah your recruiting class this year could make for an unfortunately quick turnaround down the line.

Do you mind giving a run down on the key spots and any freshman starters? I know y'all got a great recruit at RB and one at WR, but curious about any changes to QB and the run def.

You hearing anything about the defensive players' thoughts on Cosh?

I know they loved Skladany.  Hopefully they like Cosh as much or more.

I heard the same standard stuff we have been hearing.  They like the fact that things are simplified.  Can do more reacting and playing ball instead of reading and worrying about assignments. 

As far as if they like his personality, I haven't heard anything.

• Upvote 1

Yeah your recruiting class this year could make for an unfortunately quick turnaround down the line.

Do you mind giving a run down on the key spots and any freshman starters? I know y'all got a great recruit at RB and one at WR, but curious about any changes to QB and the run def.

You could end up seeing two to three freshmen wide receivers. One true freshman will likely see playing time and one is a medical RS and projects as a starter on the outside. There's one returning WR on the inside that is so experienced he will end up starting but the other inside and 2 outside receivers are wide open for freshman to win.The big thing to look for is the use of more blocking WRs, tight end formations, and H Backs. QB is the same QB from the last 5 games who broke QB rushing record twice. Running backs might not be freshmen at least early in the year. The defense will be interesting but no matter what changes are made, it won't look good against Baylor.

• Upvote 3

May be one of the best ideas yet!! Like your style 

For those in the Collin County area, any interest in having an early afternoon meet up at say Vickery Park in old downtown Plano then walking over to the train station to go to the game?  Other ideas?

• Upvote 1

No matter what time this game is played SMU will end the day 0-2 on the season...and total attendance will be reported as 44,000 

The wiki article on Ford Stadium was clearly not written by an SMU alum.

On September 24, 2010, the regular season attendance record was set at Gerald J. Ford Stadium when 35,481 people watched the TCU Horned Frogs face off against the SMU Mustangs in the Battle for the Iron Skillet. TCU won the game and the Iron Skillet 41–24.

True, but our version of our team last year in 2014 was about half of what it was in 2013. I think our version of 2015 will at least equal 2014. And I seriously doubt that SMU's 2015 version will be significantly better than 2014's to the point that 43-6 will get corrected. We beat the $hit out of them with a duck-throwing, happy-feet dancing QB and a defense that was terrible against everyone but the dregs of FBS. And we still murdered them. McNulty is better than Greer (just typing this makes me sad for Greer) and our defense will be better, if only slightly, than last year.

We win at Ownby 2.0 by a score of 30-20. Its close for 3 quarters, but we pull ahead for good in the 4th quarter. MOrris, afterwards, claims to have seen great improvement from the week before against Baylor, when Phil Bennett gets his revenge as Baylor wins by 8 TDs over SMU.