Signs pointing towards Jalie

Harry

Best candidate for a transfer:

http://texassports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5047&path=wbball

Was offered early by UNT. Didn't get much playing time at UT and seemed to be a package deal with All-American Ariel Akins. Didn't think she was that good at the Ville. They do have a 6-4 post in the 2016 class. She's not a big time recruit (at this time) but should help a program like UNT.

I'm missed on this hiring for the reasons everyone else has mentioned

Edited by Cooley

Here's how I think this went down...

Jalie's phone rings

JM: Hello?

RV: Hi, it's Rick Villarreal

JM: Oh hey, what's up?

RV: Do you know of anyone who you think would be a good fit for our open women's basketball job?

JM: I'm available

RV: Sounds good

Isn't that how peterson got the job?

• Upvote 3

Here's how I think this went down...

Jalie's phone rings

JM: Hello?

RV: Hi, it's Rick Villarreal

JM: Oh hey, what's up?

RV: Do you know of anyone who you think would be a good fit for our open women's basketball job?

JM: I'm available

RV: Sounds good

In fact, that's the line many professional head hunters use to seek out candidates. Might as well use in in athletics. Works in the business world.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There are plenty of people that may not have the time or resources to attend every game that still follow the team and support in other ways and are entitled to an opinion.

That ever so UNT fan popular "supporting the athletes from afar" thing, huh? So very UNT.

How about attending a few games? Who said anything about every game? I thought fans enjoyed actually attending games and planned ways to attend, not find excuses why not to attend. Just not at UNT where all the rage is showing support by never showing up, right? Only at North Texas.

Yep...I'm talking about the DFW and Denton area fans here...not the out-of-staters where attending is pretty darn challenging. But, I do know of two out-of-state fans who attend more home UNT games than many local DFW so-called fans do. You know, only at North Texas.

In fact there were more Arkansas fans in the soccer stands Saturday than there were UNT fans. That's just a tad disappointing, but so UNT these days.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

That ever so UNT fan popular "supporting the athletes from afar" thing, huh? So very UNT.

How about attending a few games? Who said anything about every game? I thought fans enjoyed actually attending games and planned ways to attend, not find excuses why not to attend. Just not at UNT where all the rage is showing support by never showing up, right? Only at North Texas.

Yep...I'm talking about the DFW and Denton area fans here...not the out-of-staters where attending is pretty darn challenging. But, I do know of two out-of-state fans who attend more home UNT games than many local DFW so-called fans do. You know, only at North Texas.

In fact there were more Arkansas fans in the soccer stands Saturday than there were UNT fans. That's just a tad disappointing, but so UNT these days.

Oh, I'm not making excuses. I just don't think only the 20 or so people that made a majority of the home games last year are the only ones entitled to an opinion. Women's basketball is poorly attended even at many successful P5 schools. The wins are going to have to rack up before people show up. That's the unfortunate reality for women's athletics.

• Upvote 3

To each his own . My cousin won a woman's national championship in December as the Libero for penn state ( woman's volleyball fyi.). Couldn't make it to state college or OKC for the championship but watched a lot of big 10 network and espn during the playoffs.

Niece is in high school going to 2 UNT camps to try to land on the mean green volleyball team as their Libero along with camps at other south land and AAC schools.

I support the uniform especially my alma maters uniform.

Some of those la tech and Tennessee programs when I was growing up were fierce!

Mean green craving a winner!

GMG

• Upvote 3

Some of us need to get real about the allure of coaching either men's or women's basketball at North Texas. Looks to me your options are an assistant on the way up or a head coach on the way down. We are not a destination, but rather a stop. The same might apply to football as well. Just because we have interest in someone doesn't mean they have any interest in us. "Mac" says its a hard place to recruit players, but its probably just as hard to get coaches.

Some of us need to get real about the allure of coaching either men's or women's basketball at North Texas. Looks to me your options are an assistant on the way up or a head coach on the way down. We are not a destination, but rather a stop. The same might apply to football as well. Just because we have interest in someone doesn't mean they have any interest in us. "Mac" says its a hard place to recruit players, but its probably just as hard to get coaches.

I respectfully disagree with this sentiment Wardly.

We have a good school, great facilities and are in a terrific location. We aren't going to beat UT or A&M but we should be able to dominate in the C-USA. Tell me another school in C-USA who offers more? This is just an excuse being used by those who aren't getting results or just wants to keep North Texas down. It's an easy out and I will not accept it! If you think that way I certainly do not want you to be in a leadership position. It's a defeatist attitude and completely unacceptable.

Darrell Dickey, Kenny Evans, Vic Trilli and many others would have LOVED to have the resources we offer recruits now.

Take a trip to campus... Look at all of the many cranes and construction, new student union, Apogee, basketball practice facility, square downtown... It is amazing and should be a very easy sell.

We have a good school, great facilities and are in a terrific location. We aren't going to beat UT or A&M but we should be able to dominate in the C-USA. Tell me another school in C-USA who offers more? This is just an excuse being used by those who aren't getting results or just wants to keep North Texas down. It's an easy out and I will not accept it! If you think that way I certainly do not want you to be in a leadership position. It's a defeatist attitude and completely unacceptable.

Darrell Dickey, Kenny Evans, Vic Trilli and many others would have LOVED to have the resources we offer recruits now.

Take a trip to campus... Look at all of the many cranes and construction, new student union, Apogee, basketball practice facility, square downtown... It is amazing and should be a very easy sell.

You deserve a +1!
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't think we'll ever dominate basketball in a league that has some of these schools. We can expect to be very competitive and be in the mix for league titles, but I mean we have some serious round ball schools (with big time legacies) in this league.

• Upvote 2

Have the facilites improved? No question they have.

Has our conference affiliation improved? Yes, no doubt.

Has our reputation for our football and basketball teams improved within the Texas HS coaches' circle? If you go by recruiting results, the answer is no.

Has our attendance or support improved drastically for either sports to help with media coverage or increased funding? Nope

Dickey's teams would be just as boring and our recruiting would still suck under him even if we played at Apogee because he was unmotivated at his job unless he thought he was going to get fired.

Vic Trilli's teams would still get blown out by other teams even if we got to practice in a new facility or in an improved Super Pit.

Neither of those coaches, just like Todd Dodge and Tony Benford, were the right picks for this school. I think Coach Mac was the right pick, but I'm really afraid that we have beaten him down instead of him raising up the morale of the fanbase, like I thought would happen.

The way I look at it, in being around here since 1991 or so, the only hire that understood UNT completely in terms of what we have and what we don't have is Johnny Jones. Jankovich couldn't understand Helwig's scheduling for funding strategy, so he left. Simon was basically the same way in football, but he was a timebomb waiting to explode for a lot of reasons. The others on the list included the likes of Tina Slinker, Jimmie Gales, and Darrell Dickey, coaches who had a very few winning years within a much larger time of losing. McCarney, unfortunately, could very well fit in this category if recruiting continues to be terrible. We just never fired them until it was deemed "affordable". And the list includes the "incompetents"--Shanice Stephens, Vic Trilli, Dennis Parker, Todd Dodge, Mike Petersen, and Tony Benford, none of whom ever won anything and just stole money from the university for multiple years.

I used to see a lot of the WBB games when we had Sun Belt double headers. The C-USA schedule format means twice as many trips to Denton to see both MBB and WBB.

• Upvote 1

Have the facilites improved? No question they have.

Has our conference affiliation improved? Yes, no doubt.

Has our reputation for our football and basketball teams improved within the Texas HS coaches' circle? If you go by recruiting results, the answer is no.

Has our attendance or support improved drastically for either sports to help with media coverage or increased funding? Nope

Dickey's teams would be just as boring and our recruiting would still suck under him even if we played at Apogee because he was unmotivated at his job unless he thought he was going to get fired.

Vic Trilli's teams would still get blown out by other teams even if we got to practice in a new facility or in an improved Super Pit.

Neither of those coaches, just like Todd Dodge and Tony Benford, were the right picks for this school. I think Coach Mac was the right pick, but I'm really afraid that we have beaten him down instead of him raising up the morale of the fanbase, like I thought would happen.

The way I look at it, in being around here since 1991 or so, the only hire that understood UNT completely in terms of what we have and what we don't have is Johnny Jones. Jankovich couldn't understand Helwig's scheduling for funding strategy, so he left. Simon was basically the same way in football, but he was a timebomb waiting to explode for a lot of reasons. The others on the list included the likes of Tina Slinker, Jimmie Gales, and Darrell Dickey, coaches who had a very few winning years within a much larger time of losing. McCarney, unfortunately, could very well fit in this category if recruiting continues to be terrible. We just never fired them until it was deemed "affordable". And the list includes the "incompetents"--Shanice Stephens, Vic Trilli, Dennis Parker, Todd Dodge, Mike Petersen, and Tony Benford, none of whom ever won anything and just stole money from the university for multiple years.

Our attendance had improved greatly under JJ and we were primed for a break out year in all phases (record, attendance, publicity, etc...) in basketball in 2012. If we had simply met preseason expectations, we would have averaged near 6k a game.

Then we made a terrible coaching hire and returned to where we were at the start of JJs years. And we have done nothing about it for 4 years.

Success.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I think hiring Jalie would be an extremely risky move. Her NT pedigree will give her a little extra rope, but this a hire that could go South in a hurry.

After Benford and Stephenson, its seems that NT/RV would want some one with more hc experience.

I think Stephenson was the worst coach ever hired by NT in any sport in my years following the program, and that is bad. Yet, she was the associate hc at Clemson for three years and had nine years as recruiting coordinator at Rice.

It is probably unfair to compare Stephenson with anybody, but on paper she looked a lot better than Jalie.

• Upvote 2