Iowa game is a little more realistic

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/reports--ex-iowa-qb-jake-rudock-could-be-headed-to-michigan-173851706.html

I'm telling y'all, if our team is any good, we can beat this Iowa team with McCarney at the helm. I think McCarney might have compromising pictures of Ferentz somewhere.

I agree. I also thought we'd beat Texas though. :/ I do think Iowa is going to implode this year, though.

If anyone besides Mini Mac starts the Iowa game, I will be Clark Griswold. Mac and mini Mac's dad played at Iowa, mini Mac is from Iowa City, Mini Mac's high school predecessor plays for Iowa. All signs point to that being a McNulty game.

212449eccaef36c95f145ea986344b79.jpg

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

They might be able to line up and run it right at us 50 times and win. Also, I am sure Iowa has been grooming someone. They are a P5, a decent P5, they will have someone to fill that void. I do think though we have a better shot at beating Iowa than Tennessee. Tennessee is at the breaking point of having a breakout season and I see them having a good year in SEC play as a real possibility this season.

But it's still going to be tougher to replace a 2 year starter... even with someone who may be more talented.

Look no further than UNT's issues last year. Most agree DW is more talented than DT... that didn't make him a better QB though.

We're not really talking about untapped talent at Iowa. C.J. Beathard successfully unseated a 2-year starter at Iowa, something DW has not done.

We're not really talking about untapped talent at Iowa. C.J. Beathard successfully unseated a 2-year starter at Iowa, something DW has not done.

I'm not saying we're going to win the game. I just like our chances a little better with a brand new starter in there (along with many graduating stud seniors)... Much, much better than @ TN.

We have no chance in either game.

There's always a chance. The odds are obviously not in our favor, but there's a chance. We will all watch the game because of that slight off chance.

Our season falls in the balance of 2 components... 1. QB play 2. DL play

If those 2 areas show promising signs of significant improvement we'll have a punchers chance vs anyone and a strong shot to win vs most on our schedule. To play opposite of that... If 1. & 2. stay at par of last season we will win 3 games and I will be marching. There are too many question marks to say we go 8-4/9-3 just glancing at the schedule. Yet, we are far too deep in this staffs tenure to go 3-9 and even consider calling that close to acceptable. Anything less than 6-6 in year 5 will be a failure and a large one.

I agree that Iowa is more winnable than Tennessee, if we're purely operating in comparative terms. But, this Iowa QB news only really amounts to some loss of depth for them at one position. I hate to say this, but even if they suspended half their starters the night before our game, they would still be favored.

Let's concentrate on not going 0-6 on the road again before we start entertaining notions of major upsets.

you know, not saying that UNT was good last year so we don't have room to talk. But Iowa didn't have that many impressive wins last year. Barely got past Ball State,... Beat Purdue (3-9) team,... and got beat by a Pitt (6-7) team... Even Northern Iowa hung in there with them and trailed by a touchdown in their opening season game. Iowa is a beatable team UNT90, there is a chance. But I will agree there will be no chance if our QB situation flops again.

you know, not saying that UNT was good last year so we don't have room to talk. But Iowa didn't have that many impressive wins last year. Barely got past Ball State,... Beat Purdue (3-9) team,... and got beat by a Pitt (6-7) team... Even Northern Iowa hung in there with them and trailed by a touchdown in their opening season game. Iowa is a beatable team UNT90, there is a chance. But I will agree there will be no chance if our QB situation flops again.

Keep telling yourself this if it makes you feel better, but history says that is a for sure loss. I'll go with history.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

There's always a chance. The odds are obviously not in our favor, but there's a chance. We will all watch the game because of that slight off chance.

Our season falls in the balance of 2 components... 1. QB play 2. DL play

If those 2 areas show promising signs of significant improvement we'll have a punchers chance vs anyone and a strong shot to win vs most on our schedule. To play opposite of that... If 1. & 2. stay at par of last season we will win 3 games and I will be marching.

An upgrade with the DL wont be enough if our LB production stays pat. if i could only pick one i could upgrade from last season, it would be LB. i have seen teams make due with the DL. its very rare you see a good defense without good LB play.

we also cannot stand pat with the RB production. the running game has to be respected. QBs still need weapons.

An upgrade with the DL wont be enough if our LB production stays pat. if i could only pick one i could upgrade from last season, it would be LB. i have seen teams make due with the DL. its very rare you see a good defense without good LB play.

we also cannot stand pat with the RB production. the running game has to be respected. QBs still need weapons.

Good LB play more times than not is a direct result to having a decent to really good DL. A good DL not only opens up opportunities for LB's, they also take a lot of pressure off the secondary.

So since UNT has beat Tennessee in history? Does that mean I should go with history and say we will win this season?

If you looked at history, you would realize that's the last time we won a whore game. Also, you need to realize that was the Stone Age of college football way before the money grubbing madness changed the game as we know it today.

• Downvote 1