Hear me out

GMG24

I went to Sam's the other day in the DFW metroplex. I had to shop for my MS concession stand, as I was walking through the store I saw "Sarge" a former NT football player selling pillows from a pop up sales table within Sams.

If we really wanted to separate ourselves out, why would we not keep a running tally of where we sent our athletes to get jobs and how they were doing? Lay that down on mom and dads table and say look what we do for our student athletes when they graduate. I was very disappointed that this was the best we could do for someone like "Sarge" after all he did for the university. Now, I am not saying we did not help him, and he didn't mess it up. I have no idea.

However, it made me really stop and think.

"Why not North Texas, why not find a way to set yourself apart from all the other middle tier G5 schools?"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

We are getting some more former players in the high school coaching ranks (Derek Thompson and Patrick Cobbs come time mind for football and Quincy Williams in basketball).

I think he is talking about setting up a reputable career networking system for North Texas athletes/football players. I am sure they have something of this sort, but the emphasis put on it is probably not very high.

I think the idea of this is great. This is something that alums (successful ones) would have to head. It could be watered down rather quickly if all players, regardless of intellect or intelligence, were being thrown to companies. So there would first and foremost have to be a board or committee to flip through resumes, degree earned, and ceiling. This could catch some momentum if a group first started helping the former players with their resumes, interviewing skills and job search.

Great idea that if put in motion could be highly beneficial to the guys and bolster our recruiting a tiny bit.

The school of education used to have a job placement service. Actually it was a teacher job posting board. When you signed up, they would send you a letter with monthly postings during the regular school year, and weekly postings during the summer. I don't know if the school of business, or school of Music etc. etc. does the same thing or not. No need to reinvent the wheel if there is a service already in place.

But I doubt if any of this might apply if he has not graduated. Because none of the services that I mentioned above provide placement service unless or until you have graduated.

addendum: Several years ago my son and I were getting some supplies at our local Saginaw wal-mart early one morning on our way to Lake ray Roberts. Well who should be there greeting us as we came in but my son's former Boswell HS teammate and former All-CUSA nose tackle from TCU.

Post college life, is challenging for a lot of athletes. Even athletes who went to "elite" schools.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

Post college life is challenging for all people. I got a degree in radio tv and film, landed a gig producing a sports talk show in arkansas and got laid off 3 weeks before Christmas. So I went back into the retail field I had been in during college. 3 years later I have finally become a manager with a salary barely enough to pay the bills and no free time to try to get back into my degree field. It happens to the best of us and I certainly don't judge how or why he is where he is. Not all of us take a great career path out of college.

• Upvote 5

Okay, you see a guy selling pillows from a table in Sam's and assume he works for Sam's? First off, as Long Jim said, management does well and he may be in the mgt training program. Many large corps. start you in the store for training. Second, did he have on the Sam's gear, or might he be there representing the pillow manufacturer as a sales rep? These jobs, whatever the widget, can have huge earnings ceilings with all kinds of regional and national management opportunities. Every widget in that store has a sales rep earning good money moving said widgets. Some of the least glamorous widgets have some of the best earnings out there.

And adding to what Eagle Green said, maybe he is not on fire for a high pressure career yet. Or at all.

I suggest learning the entire story before making any assumptions.

• Upvote 1

Here's the problem: You want "Sarge" to be like you. He's not, so you judge him and say he messed up. WTF? Sarge may be just fine and dandy working as Sams. Further, Sarge is likely fine without you using him as a recruiting tool, as you described doing. Sarge may have struggled and is just getting back on his feet. Sarge probably doesn't need pretencious jack wagons judging his plight...

This is exactly what I felt reading this.

• Upvote 1

I went to Sam's the other day in the DFW metroplex. I had to shop for my MS concession stand, as I was walking through the store I saw "Sarge" a former NT football player selling pillows from a pop up sales table within Sams.

If we really wanted to separate ourselves out, why would we not keep a running tally of where we sent our athletes to get jobs and how they were doing? Lay that down on mom and dads table and say look what we do for our student athletes when they graduate. I was very disappointed that this was the best we could do for someone like "Sarge" after all he did for the university. Now, I am not saying we did not help him, and he didn't mess it up. I have no idea.

However, it made me really stop and think.

"Why not North Texas, why not find a way to set yourself apart from all the other middle tier G5 schools?"

Did you talk to Sarge and figure out what is what? Is he where he wants to or in process of it? What was his major and when did he officially graduate? Assumptions can be dangerous? I thought we had a job placement at UNT, by the way.

Here's the problem: You want "Sarge" to be like you. He's not, so you judge him and say he messed up. WTF? Sarge may be just fine and dandy working as Sams. Further, Sarge is likely fine without you using him as a recruiting tool, as you described doing. Sarge may have struggled and is just getting back on his feet. Sarge probably doesn't need pretencious jack wagons judging his plight...

So much this.