First "official" top 25 out

TheColonyEagle

The committee emphasized strength of schedule and Marshall has no strength in theirs.

None. Had they filled out a non-conf schedule like that of LA Tech -- one that all these other highly-ranked P5 schools play as part of their regular schedule -- and gone through that undefeated, they'd have a very strong case. But the reality is, they have one of the easiest schedules in all of football. And they'll likely go undefeated and they will be rewarded by getting an invite to a great bowl game and enjoy the benefits that follow on the recruitment trail.

• Upvote 2

So let's say the G5 said to the P5, thanks for the opportunity to get a BCS Bowl slot against your worst team, but we are gonna create our own system to reward the best teams in our leagues. Instead of bowl games for the top 8 teams in our 5 leagues, while you all are practicing for your one bowl game, we are going to create a playoff system that involves our 5 league champions, plus the three best non-champions, and put together a fun three weeks that will end in December.

This year, ECU, Marshall, Toledo, Colorado State, and Georgia Southern are all in line to be in the playoff as champions of their leagues, with ULL, Boise State, UCF, La Tech, and NIU all still in the running for the remianing three spots. The top 4 champions, based on rankings of our own committee, will host quarterfinal games in the second weekend of December. The semifinals will be held the third week in December in Las Vegas and in Orlando. The championship will be played on December 28th in San Antonio.

While you P5 guys are preparing your 6-6 teams to play in the Sun Bowl in a game that doesn't matter to anyone in the country beyond your own fans at the end of December, we will have already finished our season, except for the championship game, which will be great because we were able to create a great system that gets college football interest from fans and media that don't have anything to cover during that time beyond practice. And, oh by the way, for those teams behind our 8 teams in the playoff, they are still bowl eligible still, so they can play in bowl games in Albuquerque, San Diego, Hawaii, Tampa Bay, etc...

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 2

None. Had they filled out a non-conf schedule like that of LA Tech -- one that all these other highly-ranked P5 schools play as part of their regular schedule -- and gone through that undefeated, they'd have a very strong case. But the reality is, they have one of the easiest schedules in all of football. And they'll likely go undefeated and they will be rewarded by getting an invite to a great bowl game and enjoy the benefits that follow on the recruitment trail.

I agree with this. The Boise St way. Going undefeated, even with a very low SOS, will certainly open enough eyes to what Marshall is doing.

I agree with this. The Boise St way. Going undefeated, even with a very low SOS, will certainly open enough eyes to what Marshall is doing.

Truth of the matter is that to the average person, they're never, ever, ever going to look at the strength of schedule for a team, especially going back 2-4 years. It'll look better to be 10-2 for 4 years against a middling schedule than going 4-8 for 4 years against a schedule that might as well be NFL.

• Upvote 2

In hindsight, we probably would have gone 11-1, last season (and possibly 12-2 with a conference champ game win and a loss in a bowl game, a la Rice), with any sort of competence on offense. That would have been a HUGE asset to our recruiting (and gone a long ways towards shaking the loser image that anchors our program's aspirations).

So it's not like what Marshall is doing is all for naught. In fact, strategically, it's pretty smart to schedule a weak SOS. Because in the end, 11-1 or 12-0 against middle-of-the-road competition just looks better than starting out the gates 1-3 by playing a bunch of top ten P5 schools. I don't care if we play G5 teams every game of the season.

No one cares how hard your schedule was if you don't win the games.

• Upvote 2

Most SEC bias thing that every SEC biased. 3 teams from 1 division. Bigger joke than the BCS ever was.

Well . . . maybe. But those four teams presently in the playoff have as good a case to be in there as anybody else. And one of the teams currently left out who also has as strong a case as anybody else (Alabama) also happens to be in that same division. It's hard to argue against the SEC West presently being the toughest conference division in college football--a one-loss SEC West team ought to be expected to have a leg up on other one-loss teams. So there might be some SEC bias going on, but it is mostly earned bias.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 2

Most SEC bias thing that every SEC biased. 3 teams from 1 division. Bigger joke than the BCS ever was.

What makes you think that this will hold up? With all three in the same division, there will be losses for some of the teams so not all three will survive to participate in the playoff. Given that this is the first ranking in the history of this playoff, the committee is telling everyone what matters most through this ranking.

• Upvote 1

What makes you think that this will hold up? With all three in the same division, there will be losses for some of the teams so not all three will survive to participate in the playoff. Given that this is the first ranking in the history of this playoff, the committee is telling everyone what matters most through this ranking.

It'll hold up because as soon as Auburn or Ole Miss lose Alabama will slide into their place. When Big 12 or Pac 12 teams lose to each other it's because they're no good, when SEC teams do it it's because the conference is "just so strong".

Also a big LAWL for anyone saying Baylor's OOC is weak but still carrying the SEC's water.

• Upvote 1

Well . . . maybe. But those four teams presently in the playoff have as good a case to be in there as anybody else. And one of the teams currently left out who also has as strong a case as anybody else (Alabama) also happens to be in that same division. It's hard to argue against the SEC West presently being the toughest conference division in college football--a one-loss SEC West team ought to be expected to have a leg up on other one-loss teams. So there might be some SEC bias going on, but it is mostly earned bias.

Ole Miss lost to a 2 loss team. Oregon sits behind them with their only lose coming to the committee's #12. Notre Dame **barely** loses to the defending national champs and current #2 team on a controversial call at the end, and they can barely crack the top 10. Just wait, we'll have 4 2 loss SEC teams in this thing by the time it's all over.

So let's say the G5 said to the P5, thanks for the opportunity to get a BCS Bowl slot against your worst team, but we are gonna create our own system to reward the best teams in our leagues. Instead of bowl games for the top 8 teams in our 5 leagues, while you all are practicing for your one bowl game, we are going to create a playoff system that involves our 5 league champions, plus the three best non-champions, and put together a fun three weeks that will end in December.

This year, ECU, Marshall, Toledo, Colorado State, and Georgia Southern are all in line to be in the playoff as champions of their leagues, with ULL, Boise State, UCF, La Tech, and NIU all still in the running for the remianing three spots. The top 4 champions, based on rankings of our own committee, will host quarterfinal games in the second weekend of December. The semifinals will be held the third week in December in Las Vegas and in Orlando. The championship will be played on December 28th in San Antonio.

While you P5 guys are preparing your 6-6 teams to play in the Sun Bowl in a game that doesn't matter to anyone in the country beyond your own fans at the end of December, we will have already finished our season, except for the championship game, which will be great because we were able to create a great system that gets college football interest from fans and media that don't have anything to cover during that time beyond practice. And, oh by the way, for those teams behind our 8 teams in the playoff, they will are bowl eligible still, so they can play in bowl games in Albuquerque, San Diego, Hawaii, Tampa Bay, etc...

I like this plan, and would support it wholeheartedly. Carve out your own TV deal and it's sealed.

That's why I think most analysts think that it's a case of when rather than if the P5 expand the BCS playoff to a minimum of six teams (P5 champions + 1 at-large) so that conference championship games aren't devalued. And, of course, the money involved.

But it is ridiculous that an 8-0 Marshall team is shut out of the Top 25 when even the AP has them ranked 23 (as of last week, don't know this week's ranking off the top of my head). You can only beat what's put in front of you and there's no such thing as a "gimme".

As for the "SEC bias" - an ESPN commentator said that it's not like ESPN wants to keep everything centered geographically in one part of the country. It's in their better interests to have their coverage spread far and wide and while that's true - and the SEC bias is earned (see the number of SEC grads in the NFL) their ability to earn that bias is exponetially increased by the current NCAA set-up. But to blame this on the media is ridiculous. If this was the last poll, sure, you can argue bias. But it's the first. Most of the top-10 teams are yet to play each other. Once that happens I think you see a huge shake-up in the top-4 and incidentally - given the right sequence of results, TCU could have a shot at the top 4 as they're ranked 7 now.

That'll be a body blow to UNT who are constantly trying to catch first SMU's and now TCU's coattails before they get away.

Now that Baylor is up there as well UNT needs to wake up if they're really going to be able to compete regionally. And I don't think it's any surprise that Baylor and TCU are having success with aggressive, offense-minded coaches while UNT are mired in the bottom eighth of the FBS with an old-school, conservative, defensively-minded coach.

Rargh.

• Upvote 1

In hindsight, we probably would have gone 11-1, last season (and possibly 12-2 with a conference champ game win and a loss in a bowl game, a la Rice), with any sort of competence on offense. That would have been a HUGE asset to our recruiting (and gone a long ways towards shaking the loser image that anchors our program's aspirations).

So it's not like what Marshall is doing is all for naught. In fact, strategically, it's pretty smart to schedule a weak SOS. Because in the end, 11-1 or 12-0 against middle-of-the-road competition just looks better than starting out the gates 1-3 by playing a bunch of top ten P5 schools. I don't care if we play G5 teams every game of the season.

No one cares how hard your schedule was if you don't win the games.

Perfectly stated. My new sig line. :)

• Upvote 1

I think this 4 team playoff model sucks, as is. In general, I don't think it makes sense to have just 4 teams get a shot at. It makes even less sense to allow non-conference champs a shot at it. The 4 "best" as voted on by a committee of P5 grads is just terrible and I have almost zero interest in it. Which is saying something as I will pretty much watch ANY college football game played in December and January. This system feels even more unfair than the BCS.

They were just talking about it on The Ticket.

And now it's clear how the P5 will separate. The committee has already started punishing teams with weak non-conference schedules and rewarding teams with strong ones.

Look for the P5 to start buying out of a lot of the "money" games vs G5 schools to start scheduling more P5s for non conference in the future.

It's not an obvious effort of "officially" splitting but they'll slowly cut ties until they're eventually just playing themselves.

"Let's just go ahead and break off now" You say?

For the P5, that can't happen fast enough.

For example:

I don't know what the rest of Florida's 2016 non conference schedule looks like(I think that's when we're scheduled to play them), but if they go...8-4 next year and feel like they have a shot in 2016.....why wouldn't they just call up UNT and say, "yeah we're just gonna write you a check for $750K, we've put.....Arizona in your spot. Thanks anyway"

Edited by TheColonyEagle

For example:

I don't know what the rest of Florida's 2016 non conference schedule looks like(I think that's when we're scheduled to play them), but if they go...8-4 next year and feel like they have a shot in 2016.....why wouldn't they just call up UNT and say, "yeah we're just gonna write you a check for $750K, we've put.....Arizona in your spot. Thanks anyway"

wouldn't this be the possible scenario? Take the check, use half of it to bring in a home game and don't take the beating.

• Upvote 1

wouldn't this be the possible scenario? Take the check, use half of it to bring in a home game and don't take the beating.

Absolutely.

And that same scenario will probably happen with a lot of P5/G5 match ups.

We won't have a choice but to take it.

The P5 may get to where they want to be faster than some think.

Coffee and TV, I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of the SEC. And wait until bowl season when they play a couple of ACC teams, a couple of AAC teams, a couple of Big Ten teams. They'll have a great record because they play those conferences while the Big 12 and Pac 12 play each other 3-4 times. Look up the bowl schedule from last year and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm not sold on the whole strength of schedule thing based on Florida St. Nothing about their schedule is all that great. Barely beat the 6th best team in the Big 12.

And I understand that you probably can't look at how a team won or lost a game, but K-St. played a terrible game and still nearly beat Auburn. I bet it's the worst game K-St. has played all season. And then OU plays a bad game and still nearly beats K-St.

This would all seem to indicate that I think the Big 12 is the best conference, but that's not true. I think the SEC is probably the best, but it's not like the media (and most fans who listen to the media) would have you believe. I honestly don't think the gap between the SEC, Big 12, and Pac 12 is that great.

• Upvote 2

Tanking attendance numbers in the P5 will just tank that much faster if they start exclusively playing each other. Fans don't and won't want to go watch their 3-3 team. Fans do want to go watch their 5-1 team though. Administrations won't go for that and some can't afford to go for that. I do see FCS being taken completely out of the picture in the very near future.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1