DRC: breaking - Consultants report critical of UNT

Brett Vito

Agree that the failures of the RV regime could have been checked by the previous University President.

Agree that this is on RV insisting on running the department like a smaller-sized, previous-era department. 

Agree that a good portion of these findings were rehashes of things said here and elsewhere for years, but that it carries more weight.

Do not agree that this was comprehensive, or thorough, as a large portion of the data comes from interviews and conversations (probably why the findings have so much in common with other complaints). However a comprehensive report was not necessary considering ...

... the items about expenditures, financial controls, operational controls, and general sub par management on the part of the previous AD. 

I expected a lot of those things to change considering the new AD hire was likely to do a different / better job, but it is nice to hear confirmation of the stuff for our own peace of mind. We aren't (completely) crazy people shouting at the internet. There were / are huge problems. A lot of you folks noticed them. 

24 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

--- LxuJgaq.jpg

Can someone please check on @UNT90 and make sure he hasn't had an aneurysm?  

This doesn't surprise me at all. Anyone who actually took the time to look at what other conference mates were doing in scheduling as opposed to UNT knew that UNT was scheduling like an FCS program. Just complete give up by the laziest AD in America. 

I'm on page 8 and am still going through it as I can. @Army of Dad is correct. Every fan should read this and it should make your blood boil. 

And just think if George Dunham's over the top media campaign to install a friend (you know, like the friend of RV's that had no accounting or finance degree that was handling AD funds and accounting) at AD had been successful.

How does anyone that held top management positions under RV keep their job after this report? If they do, it will be a good indication that the university isn't serious about addressing the issues in this report.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I'm betting he's fine in that regard. This report should make for some interesting tailgate talk!

Oh God.  Now I'm tempted to print and bind several hard copies to bring to tailgating.  

8 minutes ago, MeanGreen13 said:

Can someone provide a link to the full report? would love to read it!

It's embedded in the DRC article here.

Sorry, I tried to link directly to the report itself, but couldn't find the URL. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Oh God.  Now I'm tempted to print and bind several hard copies to bring to tailgating.  

It's embedded in the DRC article here.

Sorry, I tried to link directly to the report itself, but couldn't find the URL. 

@MeanGreen13

https://issuu.com/lmcbride/docs/unt_report?ff=true&e=1568302/39184128 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

It has been my observation that in business a manager has a bucket list that he feels necessary to be successful but is terminated because he is not. His replacement demands that this bucket list be completed or funded as a condition of his employment, which it is.I am not discounting Rick's shortcomings or flaws as an A.D., nor hiding the fact that while we didn't go camping together I consider him a friend.The bottom line is money. I have been an Eagle fan since 1961, and not some johnny-come-lately with a big checkbook and ego to match. The UNT athletic program has been underfunded since the discovery of fire, and unless we can find a new revenue stream it will continue to be. I applaud the findings of the recent report, especially the decision to push baseball to the back burner from which I hope it stays.The covered practice facility will benefit a wide range of athletic programs. Now we just need to raise $25 million to build it.

Thank you.  Many people here talk; few open their checkbooks very wide. 

Money greases the wheels in college athletics.  The wheels at NTSU/UNT haven't been greased well since the mid-70s, other than getting Apogee built...and, that really was something given the history of funding here. 

Again, there is a tiny, hardcore of supporters.  But, we lack - and, have always lacked - what the flagship schools have:  thousands upon thousands of alumni and, in some cases, even "t-shirt" supporters who pour money into the programs. 

Our alumni aren't big givers.  And, best of luck finding a t-shirt very often outside of Denton, much less Denton County.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

" Make an indoor facility a priority and put off baseball "

I approve this message... as much as I would like to add Men's Baseball, we need to focus our resources on improving our existing facilities.  As the study said, minus Apogee, we are basically below average for even CUSA facilities.

A multi-purpose indoor practice facility would be huge for us keeping pace and possibly out-pacing our immediate competition.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

Well we have seen positive changes for athletics at the AD and President level... still holding out for Chancellor level. 

As you broke to the board back in April, and I actually heard verbal confirmation of yesterday, Chancellor Jackson is gone by this time next year.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Thanks! We are pretty bad. We all knew that the AD was not functioning well, come to find out they weren't even trying most of the time! 

Numerous coaches reported losing recruits and student athletes to transfer over the lack of UNT "swag," practicae apparel, and competition equipment received.

...one student athlete departing UNT after their freshman year due to a lack of provided equipment to become a 3 time All-American at a Power 5 university.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Woof.

That's insane.

I know you have taken heat in the past for being a part of the AD(in what capacity I cannot recall) but I would appreciate any insight you have to your take on the report and what you saw in your time there. Not trolling BTW. Serious question.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Idk man...the insides of the Pit are stunningly bad...

I'm with CMJ. If these are things that can be refurbished, I would prefer that over a replacement.

28 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Thank you.  Many people here talk; few open their checkbooks very wide. 

Money greases the wheels in college athletics.  The wheels at NTSU/UNT haven't been greased well since the mid-70s, other than getting Apogee built...and, that really was something given the history of funding here. 

Again, there is a tiny, hardcore of supporters.  But, we lack - and, have always lacked - what the flagship schools have:  thousands upon thousands of alumni and, in some cases, even "t-shirt" supporters who pour money into the programs. 

Our alumni aren't big givers.  And, best of luck finding a t-shirt very often outside of Denton, much less Denton County.

The biggest thing our new AD can do for us is ramp up MGC membership, through both current and future alumni.

The numbers that @Cerebus has outlined before are staggering.  We have a huge enrollment; RV's biggest black eye, IMO, was his inability to grow the MGC.

It kind of feels that we, who've been the die-hard fans of the program, have been kicked squarely in the junk.  We, who have been to the games, who have given to the program with the hope that if we just kept up our support, if we just took a friend to the game,  we could move this program to another level, while behind the scenes was just a bunch of suck and no one being held accountable for the level of suck-ness.  Always wondering why other schools could make the transition, and the jump to the next level, while we were stagnant. Ugh. 

I'm glad we spent $20k on the report.  Why not?  We've finally paid someone to pull the curtain back and expose the man behind the curtain playing Oz.  You can't truly build for the future if you don't know your starting point.  It really looks like RV could tell we needed to allow Tailgating and we needed a new stadium, and the administration said "Yep.  Sounds Good." and all the other problems were just attributed to "it's just UNT.  The fans don't support.  The Alumni don't care."  and everyone just accepted that. 

I'm going to get a bag of ice and sit with it in my lap until this afternoon when Beyond The Green comes on.  Then I'm going to get pumped about our win over Rice, and I'm going to make plans to be up in Denton on Saturday that I wasn't making before. 

• Upvote 7

42 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

As you broke to the board back in April, and I actually heard verbal confirmation of yesterday, Chancellor Jackson is gone by this time next year.

Wait, what?  Is this true?  Is he retiring or is Smastresk so tired of the crap he's even replacing his own supervisor?  

• Upvote 2