The Mason Fine Story

Harry

I don't post this to take anything away from our starter and the main man Alec Morris.  He's the guy and I'm thrilled to have him here.  After watching the Littrell press conference though, I remain extremely intrigued by true freshman QB Mason Fine.

Littrell is an honest read, and I felt like his description of Fine was sincere.  Litrell has seen some good QB's in his time and today for him to say "I was as impressed with him as I was any freshman quarterback I have been around in a long time" speaks volumes.  This is a kid who has really made an impression on Littrell and the rest of the staff.  It's exciting to think of his potential in this offense especially in 2-3-4 years.  In fact, it's damn exciting.

Went back and looked up some old articles from when Fine committed.  There was one that really jumped out from an Oklahoma paper.  John Hoover of Tulsa World wrote, "Sooners interested in Locust Grove QB Mason Fine, but he says 'no thanks'".  The articles verifies that his dream school OU came in late with a preferred walk-on offer, and OSU had done the same prior.  So maybe it was the right thing for them to do.  He was of course a repeat winner of the Oklahoma Gatorade Player of the Year.  Or perhaps, OU and OSU thought he had a little something. 

I know from watching him in the scrimmage, he's a fun player to watch.  He knows this offense cause he ran it in high school.  His UNT teammates say he is a "worker".   He is also an honor student.  I look forward to following his career at UNT.

He is definitely as good as Morris going off of only the rhetoric Littrell speaks with in that presser. Alec gets the nod because he was brought here to get the nod. This is very exciting to have a reasonably high caliber QB and he's actually waiting in the wings. What makes it more exciting, we'll have just about the entire offense returning around him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I don't post this to take anything away from our starter and the main man Alec Morris.  He's the guy and I'm thrilled to have him here.  After watching the Littrell press conference though, I remain extremely intrigued by true freshman QB Mason Fine.

Littrell is an honest read, and I felt like his description of Fine was sincere.  Litrell has seen some good QB's in his time and today for him to say "I was as impressed with him as I was any freshman quarterback I have been around in a long time" speaks volumes.  This is a kid who has really made an impression on Littrell and the rest of the staff.  It's exciting to think of his potential in this offense especially in 2-3-4 years.  In fact, it's damn exciting.

Went back and looked up some old articles from when Fine committed.  There was one that really jumped out from an Oklahoma paper.  John Hoover of Tulsa World wrote, "Sooners interested in Locust Grove QB Mason Fine, but he says 'no thanks'".  The articles verifies that his dream school OU came in late with a preferred walk-on offer, and OSU had done the same prior.  So maybe it was the right thing for them to do.  He was of course a repeat winner of the Oklahoma Gatorade Player of the Year.  Or perhaps, OU and OSU thought he had a little something. 

I know from watching him in the scrimmage, he's a fun player to watch.  He knows this offense cause he ran it in high school.  His UNT teammates say he is a "worker".   He is also an honor student.  I look forward to following his career at UNT.

How can there be such a drastic change in one season at qb???? Could it be the system. This young man is not only a good qb but he is a very strong leader! I hope we don't need him this year,if we do it could have a major impact for qb recruiting next year! "F" potential! GMG 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

How can there be such a drastic change in one season at qb???? Could it be the system. This young man is not only a good qb but he is a very strong leader! I hope we don't need him this year,if we do it could have a major impact for qb recruiting next year! "F" potential! GMG 

It's all about evaluation of talent. The last staff was looking for a woman stripper in a male club. They had no clue on what they were doing. This staff has more of an idea when it comes to modern day QB play. 

Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

It's all about evaluation of talent. The last staff was looking for a woman stripper in a male club. They had no clue on what they were doing. This staff has more of an idea when it comes to modern day QB play. 

So the old staff were into hermaphrodites? I can kind of picture that. 

• Upvote 2

I really don't mean this to poo-poo Fine, but I think we've been burned over the past few years with sub-par (really, what's below sub-par?) QB recruiting, and now that we have a legit QB prospect, we're all expecting huge things from him.  Expectations seem a little high for him, and I wonder if it's simply because we've been burned so many times.

I hope he delivers (and in this type of offense, I think he can), but I'm not going to expect record-breaking numbers from him.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

I'm looking forward to watching Mason Fine play..........this season.  Yes, this season, not as our starter, but #2 QB behind Alec Morris.  People, hear me out.  We need to get Fine some real game reps so that he'll be "battled hardened" for next year.  UNT needs wins in the worst way, over the next several years, to turn around the perception that people see in UNT football.  And the perception is one winning season in the last 10.  Is that correct?  Burn Mason's shirt if we have to.  A decent record for UNT football this season with Littrells high octane offense could lead a top rated 2016 prospect to head up to Denton next season. That's the guy you redshirt.

Just my humble opinion.

100% agree with this. Don't worry about "wasting" his redshirt. We need wins now! If he is the best option after Morris, then we need to be using him as such. If he is as good as advertised, we will be able to pull in other highly regarded recruits. We have to strike while the anvil is hot. The worst thing we can do is play it safe. 

• Upvote 2

From Littrell's comment about talking to Fine and his family later in the year about burning his shirt, it sounds like he's going to keep him on the bench as long as Morris is healthy.  I don't think he even gets in should we be winning or losing in a blowout.  Its going to take an injury to Morris for him to see the field, or a lost season.  Neither of those are appealing.  As much as I'd love to see what everyone is talking about in this kid, I'm hoping that the first time we see him in a live game is 2017.

12 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Coach?

HAHAHAHA-GIF.gif?gs=a

10 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

I'm looking forward to watching Mason Fine play..........this season.  Yes, this season, not as our starter, but #2 QB behind Alec Morris.  People, hear me out.  We need to get Fine some real game reps so that he'll be "battled hardened" for next year.  UNT needs wins in the worst way, over the next several years, to turn around the perception that people see in UNT football.  And the perception is one winning season in the last 10.  Is that correct?  Burn Mason's shirt if we have to.  A decent record for UNT football this season with Littrells high octane offense could lead a top rated 2016 prospect to head up to Denton next season. That's the guy you redshirt.

Just my humble opinion.

Don't forget Cade Pearson and Ernie's grandson coming in the next few years.

11 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

HAHAHAHA-GIF.gif?gs=a

Don't forget Cade Pearson and Ernie's grandson coming in the next few years.

Well, while we are at it, we might as well get in on this guy:  http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2016/08/26/john-stephen-jones-jerry-jones-grandson-beats-two-seniors-earn-highland-park-starting-qb-job-hasimpressive-start