Somebody needs to fly to Albuquerque...

foutsrouts

and take a quick but serious look at this guy. With as many scholarship failures as we've had at the QB position over the years, we need to consider taking an educated gamble or two at the position. At least consider a greyshirt possibility if the numbers this year don't work out. What the hell.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2322488-the-best-football-prospect-nobodys-ever-heard-of?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

• Upvote 2

Im surprised that this guy doesn't hold a single scholarship offer. Not even a DII or DIII? I wouldnt mind getting this kid in here but the QB position is starting to get crowded. Although if we could greyshirt him like foutsrouts said, and use a spot next year because there is no way that all these QB's on our roster will be here after next year

I would say our current depth chart at that position needs to be culled and is far from set. Here's my take:

McNulty: like your favorite truck that you've had for years. Old Reliable, not flashy, can get you where you want to go if all the other parts are in good working order.

Greer: Big question mark. Good recruiting list coming out of high school, goes the JUCO route, leads his team to a championship, looks like a good commitment and then suffers from "deer in the headlights" syndrome once he puts on our uniform. Is this a Greer issue or a Canales issue?

Williams: Appears to have all the talent in the world, but does he have the drive to fully develop that talent. History shows a lack of dedication to the off season program and off the field issues are a problem.

Means: Looks the part, physically gifted and athletic, but had pedestrian numbers in high school. This spring will answer a lot of questions.

The remainder of the roster is a big question mark.

DaMarcus Smith: JUCO that appears to have huge potential, but he is a JUCO and he must develop quickly. My opinion on JUCO's is that they must be head and shoulders above the other QB's to wrap up the starting job. To clarify, if Smith and Williams or Means appear neck and neck for the starting job going in to the season, I would go with the younger player that will have more time in the program.

Cousins, Wells, Shanbour (is he still here?), etc...: They are walk-ons for a reason.

I would at least offer this young man a gray shirt or preferred walk-on spot that is low risk and see how he develops. His numbers are hard to overlook and he has the size Mac likes.

• Upvote 3

I would say our current depth chart at that position needs to be culled and is far from set. Here's my take:

McNulty: like your favorite old truck that you've had for years. Old Reliable the one that makes you nervous every time you go to start it because has not been reliable for you, not flashy, can get you where you want to go if all the other parts are in good working order, but that doesn't keep you from being worried that the wheels fall off the entire time you're driving.

FIFY.

• Upvote 2

McNulty: like your favorite truck that you've had for years. Old Reliable, not flashy, can get you where you want to go if all the other parts are in good working order.

Greer: Big question mark. Good recruiting list coming out of high school, goes the JUCO route, leads his team to a championship, looks like a good commitment and then suffers from "deer in the headlights" syndrome once he puts on our uniform. Is this a Greer issue or a Canales issue?

Williams: Appears to have all the talent in the world, but does he have the drive to fully develop that talent. History shows a lack of dedication to the off season program and off the field issues are a problem.

Means: Looks the part, physically gifted and athletic, but had pedestrian numbers in high school. This spring will answer a lot of questions.

The remainder of the roster is a big question mark.

DaMarcus Smith: JUCO that appears to have huge potential, but he is a JUCO and he must develop quickly. My opinion on JUCO's is that they must be head and shoulders above the other QB's to wrap up the starting job. To clarify, if Smith and Williams or Means appear neck and neck for the starting job going in to the season, I would go with the younger player that will have more time in the program.

As much as we all will hate it, McNulty will be the starter come fall. I just hope that Mean or Williams can beat out the other 3 QB's in Spring/Fall because I think those two will give us the best chance to win. Although, offseason is there for a reason, to get better and stronger so we will see what it has in store for all these guys

• Upvote 1

As much as we all will hate it, McNulty will be the starter come fall. I just hope that Mean or Williams can beat out the other 3 QB's in Spring/Fall because I think those two will give us the best chance to win. Although, offseason is there for a reason, to get better and stronger so we will see what it has in store for all these guys

Man I hope not. Smith has a few more skins on the wall than Greer did as a JUCO.

He should be at WKY, but was beat out by Doughty (who will likely REPEAT as CUSA POY this year... that is, unless Smith unleashes his vengeance).

Man I hope not. Smith has a few more skins on the wall than Greer did as a JUCO.

He should be at WKY, but was beat out by Doughty (who will likely REPEAT as CUSA POY this year... that is, unless Smith unleashes his vengeance).

I agree about Smith. Seems some are writing him off based on the previous flops we had with JUCO Qbs. Smith brings a lot more to the table as far as accomplishments and athletic ability.

Do we really need another QB? Yes, we need one that can play and lead this team. We have to upgrade the position.

....and just as importantly, we need better assessment/development than what we've had this last year. We ended up with a QB that the coaching staff should have known was the best option as far back as last spring. If they knew that Williams was a head case last spring, then they should have had a "come to Jesus" meeting with him at the end of last spring and when he showed up just as unmotivated last fall, they should have cut him from the team. I suppose you could argue that no one could have anticipated that Greer would go "deer in the headlights" in the face of the

Texas (and other) defenses, but I have to say that after watching him last spring, I wasn't surprised.

I'm tired of other schools like ULM, UTSA and WKY finding under the radar QB's that have the ability to beat B-12 and SEC schools. Or at least don't go "deer in the headlights" when faced with that kind of competition.

The only reason that I can think of for anyone to fly out there would be if this kid had a big, mean defensive tackle on his team. THEN we ought to have someone on the next plane headed west.

This

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Watching the video he seemed to throw floater passes. I didn't like his footwork and most of his completions were a result of poor coverage or the receiver getting good separation. He didn't have to fit the ball into very many tight spots or really drill it in there hard.