Where we will be hard pressed to better DT

Harry

Too bad we never got to see on Vizza, probably one of the toughest QBs I've ever seen play here. I was a frat brother of Ramsey's and no one is even close to measuring up to Ramsey to Shanklin throws. Steve had 69 TD passes in just three years playing teams such as Arkansas, San Diego State ( with Dennis Shaw), Cincinnati ( with Greg Cook), and Louisville . All the rest I've seen play and with the exception of Jordan Case, I would still take DT. Jordan had a game against UT that was phenomenal, and that was against a hugely better UT team than the one we whine so much about in 1988.

Oh my, Jim. :o You would take DT over Scott Davis, Mitch Maher, and Scott Hall? If I was Jewish, all I could say would be oy vey!

However, you have redeemed yourself with Jordan Case. I also remember that Texas game. I'll never forget one of his early long completions (to Murry or Chambers). He was standing back in a perfectly formed pocket, that began collapsing around him. He never moved or got happy feet, and just as the pocket starting collapsing on top of him the ball shot out and it was a completion.....and I think it was a TD. I never saw him throw it. I just saw the ball shoot out from last possible opening in the pocket. And then Sims and company fell on top of him.

Oh my, Jim. :o You would take DT over Scott Davis, Mitch Maher, and Scott Hall? If I was Jewish, all I could say would be oy vey!

However, you have redeemed yourself with Jordan Case. I also remember that Texas game. I'll never forget one of his early long completions (to Murry or Chambers). He was standing back in a perfectly formed pocket, that began collapsing around him. He never moved or got happy feet, and just as the pocket starting collapsing on top of him the ball shot out and it was a completion.....and I think it was a TD. I never saw him throw it. I just saw the ball shoot out from last possible opening in the pocket. And then Sims and company fell on top of him.

Glad to see someone who appreciates THAT GAME over 1988. Remember the Statue of Liberty with a pass off of it and the UT DB tripping trying to go back to cover it?. The blocked punt in the end zone against Erksclaiborne ( sp) was also greatness!

It might have if it meant he didn't bust up his shoulder.

He never had FBS arm strength, which is why he was looked at as a slot receiver by everyone but UNT.

Hell, we even tried to move him there, but he had to shift back to QB because of injury. I have a lot of respect for Riley. He was a tough assed kid. But he had a pop gun arm, shoulder injury or no shoulder injury.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Would have made for a nice zone option read though, don't you think?

Sure, great in the roll Brelen played last year. Not as an every down QB.

I think that was pretty well proven.

EDIT: He actually would have been better than Brelen, as there would have been at least a short game passing threat with Riley in that roll.

Edited by UNT90

Does any film exist of Fry's late 70's teams?---specifically the years with Jordan Case as QB? I don't think I've seen so much as even one highlight clip from those years.

Also, Riley with this year's oline would still equate to us worrying on every single play if he was going to get hurt or turn it over. No matter how good our oline is, he's still going to take hits by LBers and DBs downfield running the zone read. Great kid, great heart, unbelievable knowledge of the system, vision, agility and ball skills, but way too small for FBS.

Edited by TIgreen01

Reality called. He says he's willing to be friends if you are.

As long as reality can tell the difference between i-A and I-AA competition, he can be my friend. Otherwise, reality must understands DT competed against a higher level of competition throughout his career than did Davis (whom I love because he is a fellow Berkner Ram alum) and Maher.

Hall competed against a higher level of competition than Davis and Maher, but didn't put up the number DT did. Love Hall, too. Enjoyed running the hook and lateral with him and Johnny Q during the last GoMeanGreen flag game at Fouts...damn near worked.

But, it is what it is. DT ranks higher than all I-As, and he did so with a thinner and revolving cast of WRs.

Derek was The Man...and, don't you forget it!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As long as reality can tell the difference between i-A and I-AA competition, he can be my friend. Otherwise, reality must understands DT competed against a higher level of competition throughout his career than did Davis (whom I love because he is a fellow Berkner Ram alum) and Maher.

How much higher? By that I mean how many 1-A schools were there when the 1-AA QBs were playing compared to how many 1-A teams there are right now?

How much higher? By that I mean how many 1-A schools were there when the 1-AA QBs were playing compared to how many 1-A teams there are right now?

Good question. Guess I would have had to see Thompson play Abilene Christian, Lamar, McNeese State, SW Missouri State and the like every year to know the answer.

Unfortunately (?), we'll never know whether Thompson could have competed as well in the Southland Conference as he did in the Sun Belt and C-USunBelt.

We'll just have to be satisfied to know that Davis and Maher were really good against such I-AA and Division II foes as those, and Thompson and Hall did well against I-A foes.

You can only know what you know, you know?

• Upvote 1

Good question. Guess I would have had to see Thompson play Abilene Christian, Lamar, McNeese State, SW Missouri State and the like every year to know the answer.

Unfortunately (?), we'll never know whether Thompson could have competed as well in the Southland Conference as he did in the Sun Belt and C-USunBelt.

We'll just have to be satisfied to know that Davis and Maher were really good against such I-AA and Division II foes as those, and Thompson and Hall did well against I-A foes.

You can only know what you know, you know?

Davis had, what, 400 yards passing against UT?

Also beat Tech a time or 2.

Scott Davis was awesome.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hall competed against a higher level of competition than Davis and Maher, but didn't put up the number DT did. Love Hall, too. Enjoyed running the hook and lateral with him and Johnny Q during the last GoMeanGreen flag game at Fouts...damn near worked.

But, it is what it is. DT ranks higher than all I-As, and he did so with a thinner and revolving cast of WRs.

Derek was The Man...and, don't you forget it!

I watched Mitch Maher play. Dude was good. Real good. Good enough in fact that he was drafted to play in the CFL. So 1AA competition or not a professional team wanted to pay him money to play for them.

If Mitch were QB-ing us in Austin next week we win going away.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Hmmm. Interesting. And, yet while those guy were here, they did lose to the likes of Northwestern State, McNeese State, Sam Houston State, etc. quite regularly.

And, if I'm not mistaken, against Southland Conference foe, Maher led us to, more or less, one winning season?

And, so, what you're telling me, in essence, is that late 80s/early 90s Southland Conference foe is tougher than 2013 Georgia Bulldog foe or 2012 Kansas State Wildcat foe, and - with your confidence - 2014 Texas Longhorn foe, for instance, and whatnot.

Interesting. I don't buy it. But, you sell what you want in a capitalist society, I suppose.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hmmm. Interesting. And, yet while those guy were here, they did lose to the likes of Northwestern State, McNeese State, Sam Houston State, etc. quite regularly.

And, if I'm not mistaken, against Southland Conference foe, Maher led us to, more or less, one winning season?

And, so, what you're telling me, in essence, is that late 80s/early 90s Southland Conference foe is tougher than 2013 Georgia Bulldog foe or 2012 Kansas State Wildcat foe, and - with your confidence - 2014 Texas Longhorn foe, for instance, and whatnot.

Interesting. I don't buy it. But, you sell what you want in a capitalist society, I suppose.

What I'm telling you is Mitch Maher was a helluva QB regardless of conference affiliation or foe. Not only in my eyes but also to people with money and a pro-team who were looking to improve said pro-team with a new QB.