Where we will be hard pressed to better DT

Harry

Hmmm. Interesting. And, yet while those guy were here, they did lose to the likes of Northwestern State, McNeese State, Sam Houston State, etc. quite regularly.

And, if I'm not mistaken, against Southland Conference foe, Maher led us to, more or less, one winning season?

And, so, what you're telling me, in essence, is that late 80s/early 90s Southland Conference foe is tougher than 2013 Georgia Bulldog foe or 2012 Kansas State Wildcat foe, and - with your confidence - 2014 Texas Longhorn foe, for instance, and whatnot.

Interesting. I don't buy it. But, you sell what you want in a capitalist society, I suppose.

When Mitch Maher had a college coach and not a high school coach, he led us to a conference championship and was SLC player of the year in 1994. Just sayin'...

Didnt your hero DT only have one winning season also? And your argument is false as these other qbs played against peers as did DT. Players are judged against their peers.

Agreed. And, that's why I hold that Maher was our best I-AA quarterback ever, and Thompson was our best I-A/FBS quarterback ever.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Downvote 1

That's good. Thompson was the MVP of a bowl game. How many I-AA playoff games did Maher win?

He won zero.

He didn't have Dan McCarney as his coach, either.

That said, I have no qualm with you believeing DT was better than Mitch Maher--just don't make it out ot be that Mitch was not very good because he played his 4 years here with recruits from Dennis Parker while playing at Fouts Field.

• Upvote 3

Mitch was a great quarterback. So was Scott Davis. And, as a Berkner Ram, it pains me greatly to admit that Maher - a hated Plano Wildcat - was better overall than my fellow Ram, Scott Davis (although, I think Davis may have been the grittiest of them all that I saw play). Unfortunately, our administrators had long before doomed us to I-AA.

Look, I was at UNT from 1990-1995; I saw Mitch Maher's career. I think it's shame it took place at the I-AA level. I thought it was a shame we had to endure Dennis Parker. And, that fed into my anti-Dodge hiring position in December 2006 - we'd been there, done that, and it hadn't even worked at the I-AA level.

Mitch was a great quarterback. So was Scott Davis. And, as a Berkner Ram, it pains me greatly to admit that Maher - a hated Plano Wildcat - was better overall than my fellow Ram, Scott Davis (although, I think Davis may have been the grittiest of them all that I saw play). Unfortunately, our administrators had long before doomed us to I-AA.

Look, I was at UNT from 1990-1995; I saw Mitch Maher's career. I think it's shame it took place at the I-AA level. I thought it was a shame we had to endure Dennis Parker. And, that fed into my anti-Dodge hiring position in December 2006 - we'd been there, done that, and it hadn't even worked at the I-AA level.

To paraphrase that great entertainer, Fred Durst, "I think we are all in AGREE-ANCE that this 1-aa should have never happened..."