Derek Thompson named to UNT Hall of Fame 2020 Class

There's one GOAT in this class: Kerestine.  NT beats Tech if she's in net for that 2015 NCAA Tourney game.

The others are good.   

DT graduated in the top 5 of just about every passing category.  I know this debate raged a lot after he graduated, but I've been on board this whole time, just based on the other QBs included in the HOF.  Cemented when they let Andrew Smith in.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

There's one GOAT in this class: Kerestine.  NT beats Tech if she's in net for that 2015 NCAA Tourney game.

The others are good.   

DT graduated in the top 5 of just about every passing category.  I know this debate raged a lot after he graduated, but I've been on board this whole time, just based on the other QBs included in the HOF.  Cemented when they let Andrew Smith in.

Great points. AS should never been added 

• Upvote 2

DT is at least as deserving as many that are in there. He should be in. I’d be willing to bet that Mason Fine would not have been substantially better in a Mike Canales offense than DT was. And some of you forget that DT was actually invited to Broncos rookie mini-camp.

Bny-321CIAA1fSx?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

DT is at least as deserving as many that are in there. He should be in. I’d be willing to bet that Mason Fine would not have been substantially better in a Mike Canales offense than DT was. And some of you forget that DT was actually invited to Broncos rookie mini-camp.

Bny-321CIAA1fSx?format=jpg&name=medium

I think the problem is out HOF is not so much based on greatness as it seems to be leaning towards deserves it because they were pretty good, not earning it for superior play.  Based on who has been put in before him Mason is much better example of the caliber of player who earned the HOF

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I think the problem is out HOF is not so much based on greatness as it seems to be leaning towards deserves it because they were pretty good, not earning it for superior play.  Based on who has been put in before him Mason is much better example of the caliber of player who earned the HOF

In what way, putting stats up in games that were way out of hand? DT could’ve thrown for a boatload of yards in a Graham Harrell offense too.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

In what way, putting stats up in games that were way out of hand? DT could’ve thrown for a boatload of yards in a Graham Harrell offense too.

Could have but didn't. Think of the record under Mason if he had a better Defense or O-Line. HOF should not be based on what might have been, but outstanding performance. If the selection criteria is based on other factors, they should be things that are above and beyond and program/institutional changers. If you think DT is the same caliber QB as Mason I guess we will just agree to disagree.

P.S. I believe that a HOF should have remarkably high standards. I think, personally, we have larger amount of people who are in, players and coaches, who should not have be. I think too many HOF's feel the need to add people yearly as opposed to adding as qualified.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Could have but didn't. Think of the record under Mason if he had a better Defense or O-Line. HOF should not be based on what might have been, but outstanding performance. If the selection criteria is based on other factors, they should be things that are above and beyond and program/institutional changers. If you think DT is the same caliber QB as Mason I guess we will just agree to disagree.

P.S. I believe that a HOF should have remarkably high standards. I think, personally, we have larger amount of people who are in, players and coaches, who should not have be. I think too many HOF's feel the need to add people yearly as opposed to adding as qualified.

If we are talking strictly stats, how do you put in Andrew  Smith and Scott Hall but not put in DT? 

On HOF standards we agree. We have too many in that are not deserving but at what point do you say “ok from now on our HOF is for real“? They need to create some superlative to the HOF for truly program defining players like Joe Greene, Amber Haynes, Hayden Fry, Ofus Mitchell, Brandon Kennedy, Patrick Cobbs, etc.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

If we are talking strictly stats, how do you put in Andrew  Smith and Scott Hall but not put in DT? 

On HOF standards we agree. We have too many in that are not deserving but at what point do you say “ok from now on our HOF is for real“? They need to create some superlative to the HOF for truly program defining players like Joe Greene, Amber Haynes, Hayden Fry, Ofus Mitchell, Brandon Kennedy, Patrick Cobbs, etc.

AS and SH should not be in a HOF

We need to have something that is truly a HOF, and then maybe you could have an "Honored Alum" section. Our HOF, like many colleges is truly diluted. 

• Upvote 2

In 1967, if you somehow got by Joe it didn't mean that you had escaped PAIN cuz' All-MVC linebacker, Johnny Mata, was right behind him.  Just part of the 7-1-1 MVC Championship Team which had 10 men named to the First TEAM All-MVC unit, and which led the nation in interceptions with 28, had a HOF QB who led the nation in TD passes, a HOF receiver who led the nation in TD receptions and was the beginning of our beloved "Mean Green".  "Whether it was just a name or perhaps a following, it was one by which they were known and respected." - NTSU Yucca 1967-68

Johnny Mata0001.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marty said:

DT is 3rd leading passer all time at NT in passing yardage and in the top 5 all time in every other passing category. Led us to a bowl win and was MVP. Sounds like a no brainer to me. Congrats DT. 

Did DT ever get selected as all conference, even Honorable Mention? Again, not saying he was not a good player, but HOF standards are too low.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Did DT ever get selected as all conference, even Honorable Mention? Again, not saying he was not a good player, but HOF standards are too low.

I highly doubt it but maybe his senior year?

• Upvote 1

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1