Board thoughts on DaJon Williams?

Harry

gallery_1_189_1178533.jpg

To me he looked so comfortable in warm-up, and on the field. Had Mike Marshall not fumbled that ball I know DaJon would have scored a TD in his first possession.

Maybe it was the heat, but I came away tremendously excited about this kid. One of the main reasons is his quickness and speed. Notice how when DT hands the ball off he gets very little attention from the DB's and linebackers in terms of him keeping it and running the ball himself... DW has that ability..he requires attention which should open up the running game even more.

I'm interested in everyone else's thoughts on how he looked.

To me he looked so comfortable in warm-up, and on the field. Had Mike Marshall not fumbled that ball I know DaJon would have scored a TD in his first possession.

Maybe it was the heat, but I came away tremendously excited about this kid. One of the main reasons is his quickness and speed. Notice how when DT hands the ball off he gets very little attention from the DB's and linebackers in terms of him keeping it and running the ball himself... DW has that ability..he requires attention which should open up the running game even more.

He is a natural, quick release , accurate and quick decision on his part...big thumbs up on this player.

• Upvote 1

DaJon looks great especially for a true freshman, he looked comfortable and poised with what looked to be good decision making. He seems to be a true backup for us and I have not heard but I would expect he has moved up to number 2 QB. We may have seen our starter for the following three years.

• Upvote 1

Funny how things seemed to be moving in slow motion already for him. When he got rushed up the middle, he calmly rolled right and fired a strike for a completion. I was very impressed w/ his speed, and I would really like to see how that will translate to improving the running game.

On a side note, did we even throw to a TE once???

• Upvote 2

I thought the heat was getting to me too but I think he looked great out there. Has speed, quickness, and looked comfortable as a freshman running the offense. Most importantly, he can actually throw a spiral with speed longer than 10 yards. I'm really impressed and hope to see more of him in the future.

Off topic but is anyone else annoyed with the run plays where the QB raises the ball up high and takes forever to give to the RB's? (Best I could explain it) I think we ran it 5 or 6 times and each time resulted in negative yards.

Throwing on the run the way he did with the zip it had isn't easy. I spoke with a player parent (who has been at practices) after the Dajon series and he told me that Dajon throws on the run better than anyone he's ever seen. That could very well make him lethal. Time will tell.

Too small a sample size to anoint him the second coming but the few snaps he did play he looked good. Color me excited.

• Upvote 1

Funny how things seemed to be moving in slow motion already for him. When he got rushed up the middle, he calmly rolled right and fired a strike for a completion. I was very impressed w/ his speed, and I would really like to see how that will translate to improving the running game.

On a side note, did we even throw to a TE once???

I believe DT threw the ball to Marcus Smith at least once, but it was an incompletion from what I recall.

Edited by mdmeangreen

My thought is I wish we were deep enough at QB to redshirt DW and let him learn at a slower pace. This is where BB's failure to pan out really hurts this team.

On the field he looked good (for the small amount I saw), but he is a true freshman. Lets hope we only see him in mop up duty this year.

Stay healthy, DT!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Williams looked great and I can see why the coaches are excited.

However, Idaho was running on flumes at that time and that may have a lot to do with all the fourth quarter play. Rollins based on that sample, also looked very good.

Williams definitely should be the number 2 now, and I do wonder if McNulty can play another position. He seems to be a good athlete and you can't base anything on one game, but I wonder if he could be a safety or linebacker He appears to have adequate size and good speed.

• Upvote 1

We had to leave before Dajon came on, but we listened to his feats on the radio. Sounded great!

A question before we anoint him: Did Idaho have their reserves in the game while he was playing? If so, I'm going to have to wait. If not, and the starters were still in... I may still have to wait, because that defense was not good.

• Upvote 1

Dajon looked impressive indeed. Can see why the coaches like him. Kidsey (who was my pick to be a freshman who plays) looked good, also. He accelerates very quickly up field as soon as he catches the ball. Other freshmen, redshirt and otherwise, who stood out Schillei on special teams, Darrien Roberts at DE, Trussell at OL, Kirby at C, of course, and Rex Rollins who showed his speed.

• Upvote 1

He's got a good arm and silky smooth delivery. There's definitely zip there that DT lacks. He's a little thin, but I expect him to add good weight as his career progresses. I'm pumped over his potential, running Canales' system as a real dual threat QB. Definitely, a hidden gem last recruiting season!

• Upvote 1

I think the first thing is important. Not only was the defense tired, but there was zero real pressure on Williams in the 4th Q of a blowout.

This. I need to see him take snaps earlier in the game vs. fresh players before anointing anybody as the second coming of Seneca Wallace. Liked what I saw but it reminds me of how the fans reacted to DT in his limited PT during the Arkansas St. game that we burned his redshirt in. Sample size was just too small.

I thought he looked comfortable. I loved his speed, quick release, fluid motion, and the zip on the ball. I love what I see so far.

I am concerned with his build, but yes, he is a freshman. He has to be careful about putting too much meat on his bones. Remember what happened to Jamario? As long as his body can handle the punishment, I'm fine.

• Upvote 1