Need input regarding a C-USA Texas team trophy

Harry

1. No to corporate sponsor. This is a fan idea, and doesn't need financial backing.

2. No to changing flags or whatever during the season. Then some of the games potentially have no meaning.

3. Armadillo would make a cool trophy.

A Come and Take it Flag with the armadillo on it. and the armadillo trophy stays at the reigning teams house each year they win it.

• Upvote 1

An Armadillo trophy would be quite lame.

I hear you but I think the point of the Armadillo is it is Texas --- ie the goal of the 4-team competition is to be the best in Texas. Armadillo=Texas in my mind but I am certainly open to other suggestions. I also like the flag concept as well.

An armadillo just isn't that "Texas" anymore. Armadillos have spread throughout a good chunk of the U.S., and I believe there are far more armadillos per square mile in other states than Texas.

Texas designated the nine-banded armadillo (Dasypus novemcinctus) as the official state small mammal in 1995.

http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/Texas/Nine_banded_Armadillo.html

Each game Between the teams has a flag on the line, maybe attached to a goalpost or endzone. Winner gets to collect the flag. End the year with the most flags earns the trophy/flag for the next season.

I think this idea has a potential.

Each team would have to have 3 copies of their own flag in in the unfortunate event they lost 3 of the games.

Is there a start over point were the flags are returned? Or would new flags have to be purchased every year?

• Upvote 1

Like the capture the flag idea.

For restarting it the next season...how about all our individual flags start with no stars and the winner each season gets a star on their flag to signify winning the competition? Kind of like how soccer teams put stars on their jerseys to signify world cup/league titles. So five years down the line for example Rice could have 3 stars, UTEP 1, NT 1, and UTSA none...showing Rices dominance in the conference.

Edited by correcamino
  • Upvote 1

Like the capture the flag idea.

For restarting it the next season...how about all our individual flags start with no stars and the winner each season gets a star on their flag to signify winning the competition? Kind of like how soccer teams put stars on their jerseys to signify world cup/league titles. So five years down the line for example Rice could have 3 stars, UTEP 1, NT 1, and UTSA none...showing Rices dominance in the conference.

Sort of like scalps!

Solid ideas and hopes from some mighty loyal fans but...it seems a bit forced at this point. Any of these suggestions would play well with the folks who have to present some sort of freshman orientation or such. And, that where these things go to die. We have to wait for the rivalry to feed the moment when some fan or coaches spouse or child stands up and says, "___!" That's when slogans are born. That's what tradition is made of.

Edited by Greenrex
  • Downvote 1

You know, we do have a history with the Yucca plant - the Yucca yearbook, the Yucca Beauties etc. Perhaps we could incorporate that in a trophy. On the other hand, it is not a particularly attractive plant and Yucca is sort of a goofy sounding name after all. Forget it.

• Upvote 1

If you want a Texas corporate sponsor why not go with Acme Brick? While Im not sure they have offices in every city. Im confident they would like their product used in every city.

The trophy would be an oversized brick - i.e. The Battle for the Brick. Each year the team/school that wins will have their name and year etched into it and they keep the brick until the following season when a new winner is announced.

The brick will make an appearance at each applicable game giving ACME some facetime on televised games.

ACME could also pass out little foam bricks to the kids. Etc etc.

BTW - Always thought this a fun idea for a renewed series with SMU. That, or we just decapitate a horse every time we win.

And the foam bricks could be thrown at the games , like tortillas.

• 3 months later...