in last year’s Sun Belt Conference championship game. Confetti and the
Western Kentucky University’s celebration covered the floor around him
as former Mean Green men’s basketball coach Johnny Jones comforted his
star player. The 74-70 loss brought an end to the almost fairytale
season for UNT.

The team faced the adversity of losing then-freshman guards Chris
Jones and Jordan Williams because of academic issues. Several injuries
forced walk-ons like the now-graduated Tyler Hall and bench players like
senior forward Niko Stojiljkovic to make more out of their minutes.

The team made it to the conference final, leading most of the way.

Fans watched as the 13-point lead dwindled with the clock.

Read more: http://wordpress1.cws.unt.edu/?p=2185

If we won out through Hot Springs, we'd be 17-18 headed to the Dance. Then we'd get one of the First Four games. Say we win that initial round we're .500!!! --- we'd THEN have to play Indiana or something.

So, there is basically no way we can finish .500 or above.

No way the season can really be salvaged. Though, if we did all of that (in a miracle) I'd almost say it was a decent season. I mean we'd have our first NCAA win and end the season winning 8 of 9.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3

Let's make a deal. If we win the last three regular season games and then win the first two SBC tournament games, then I won't say another word about removing a certain head coach until next season. Would this make up for our failures this year and turn the season into a success? No, not at all. But, it would show that this team has perhaps FINALLY turned the corner, and it would give me at least a modicum of hope for next season. Of course, if this scenario did play out, I would expect more next season.

However, we all know that this is implausible. We haven't won back-to-back games since December 16, and we are winless against teams in our own division.

• Upvote 3

If theynwi a first round game, not a play in game but a real first round game then I cerainly would think of a successful end to an otherwise bad season. We would be the first 16 seed to ever win and that would be something.

It ain't happening.

This team ain't beating a the #1 seed in the Belt, much less a #1 NCAA tournament seed.

Crazy talk in this thread.

So we win two games in a row againist two of the worst teams in the belt, and we're talking about a championship run... Not to mention this is the first two game win streak since Jackson State and Southeastern Louisiana... I mean those are two powerhouses.... Please children get your minds right

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So we win two games in a row againist two of the worst teams in the belt, and we're talking about a championship run... Not to mention this is the first two game win streak since Jackson State and Southeastern Louisiana... I mean those are two powerhouses.... Please children get your minds right

Last year's run in the tournament, after finishing 9-7 in regular season (4th in the west), North Texas (no. 200) beat no. 195 ULL and no, 224 ArkST, and lost to no. 171 WKU in the finals. Not a lot of power there. (numbers refer to RPI rank). The Sun Belt is full of those kind of teams, with the exception of MTSU. If we can avoid their bracket, another run to the championship is possible. I am hoping the weekend in Hot Springs is not over on Friday. I will be there with optimism.

Seems the idea of winning the SBC conference tourney is the standard. If UNT wins the SBC tourney, this season is a success. Although there is still cause for concern... no matter where you place the blame. Anything less is a failure, because this was the expectation at the beginning of the year. Any high seed in the NCAA tourney and top-25 talk was just hype. That hype had merit, but that wasn't the expectation... that was the hope.

• Upvote 1

If they managed to win the SBC tourney it would erase much of the pain of the season and likely be a national story. I doubt the Belt would like that outcome lol.

Having two years in a row of under .500 teams getting in from your conference would look pretty bad. So yeah, I doubt the belt officials would like it to happen.

• Upvote 1

Having two years in a row of under .500 teams getting in from your conference would look pretty bad. So yeah, I doubt the belt officials would like it to happen.

Agree with you. But, that's the cool thing about the tournament. Win it and the "officials" can't do a thing about it. Hello NCAA's...if you win it of course. Big "if".

• Upvote 1