Honest question

emmitt01

I dont intend to be negative and I'm surely not call ing for his head but I have a question about McCarney.

Many on here have said things like "I love what he's doing talking to incoming freshmen" and "He's so inspirational when he speaks about North Texas". I've even heard "The team really believes in him and has responded well".

Has anyone ever muttered the words "Wow, that was a brilliant job of coaching" or "Man, he really adjusted on the fly to the personell challenges he was given"? Or even "I totally did mot see that game plan coming...and neither did our opponent".

Just a question.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I dont intend to be negative and I'm surely not call ing for his head but I have a question about McCarney.

Many on here have said things like "I love what he's doing talking to incoming freshmen" and "He's so inspirational when he speaks about North Texas". I've even heard "The team really believes in him and has responded well".

Has anyone ever muttered the words "Wow, that was a brilliant job of coaching" or "Man, he really adjusted on the fly to the personell challenges he was given"? Or even "I totally did mot see that game plan coming...and neither did our opponent".

Just a question.

Look, he is looking at this thing long term. He is bound and determined that we will play physical, smashmouth football. And really, with what he has to work with on offense (terrible receivers, average QB) I get why he wants to do this this year.

I think we all need to face the fact that until we get a QB that Mac trusts (this is also Mac's fault for not landing one QB talent in the last 2 years) and a butt load more talent at receiver, this is the way the offense is going to go.

Now, the blatant resufal to use Jimmerson early in the game? Free game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't care what anyone says, up until this point I haven't seen the team just completely give up out there. That is what happened today, it is Dodge-ball with running instead of passing. And I am not just talking about the score deficit being Dodge-like, I'm talking about the fact that both the coaching staff and players checked out early today. Disgraceful. This is freaking MTSU, not LSU.

I'm probably just drunk but I'm concerned with what we have in place(players & coaches alike) in terms of making a bowl game in the next three years.

• Upvote 2

We will see how the team is next season after more recruiting. This season is done. Let the man recruit his own guys. The Dodge hangover is still lingering. I'll be tuning out for the first time ever. Can't watch these guys lose like this. If they had heart it would be one thing but they clearly lack in that department. This team is pathetic.

Classless as well because personal fouls to hide your lack of play is just classless. I am ashamed of this team.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

People love Mac because dickey & dodge didn't interact with the fans or students like Mac does

To a lot of people this is new. It seems like most people have never heard a head coach speak before. Mac doesn't really say anything different than any other Coach in America

People will point to the "improvement " they see. That's not saying much if u really think about it. Dodge era was one worst in the history of college football. There were 500 guys we could have thrown out there with a whistle & a playbook and seen a "improvement"

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 2

Coaching was great in the KSU game as we hung tough. Defensive changes were great last week after the opening drive by ULL. Offense is handcuffed by DT and our two best receivers being out. I'm really shocked at how our defense has played today. I'm not sure what is happening.

We have the best coaching staff this team has had since at least the 70's. They need some time. There's no guarentee that they will turn this thing completely around but these coaches are the best hope we've got.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I love Mac as a coach. He's a great leader, a great inspiration to players, he gets students excited, etc. And we also need to look at what he did at ISU back when he was coach there.

These things take time. Canales needs to go, now. Mac needs to bring someone in who understands how to call the type of offense that we are trying to execute, because Canales is clearly clueless. I'm confident that we're on the way up. But, we also have to keep in mind that he's playing with Dodge players, save for freshman and sophomores. In 3 years, if we still suck, I will be the first to call for Mac's head. What he's done with Dodge players is remarkable considering what Dodge did with Dodge players. We've won more games under Mac in a year and a half than Dodge did in 43 games. I'm still on board with Mac 100%.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I love Mac as a coach. He's a great leader, a great inspiration to players, he gets students excited, etc. And we also need to look at what he did at ISU back when he was coach there.

These things take time. Canales needs to go, now. Mac needs to bring someone in who understands how to call the type of offense that we are trying to execute, because Canales is clearly clueless. I'm confident that we're on the way up. But, we also have to keep in mind that he's playing with Dodge players, save for freshman and sophomores. In 3 years, if we still suck, I will be the first to call for Mac's head. What he's done with Dodge players is remarkable considering what Dodge did with Dodge players. We've won more games under Mac in a year and a half than Dodge did in 43 games. I'm still on board with Mac 100%.

You do realize this is Mac's offensive gameplan? Chico has never run an offense like this in his entire career

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Chico didn't seem clueless when he took over for Dodge with a whole team of his players.

• Upvote 2

Mac's Record at Iowa State

: 53-77

Iowa State

2–9

1–7 1997 Iowa State 1–10 1–7 1998 Iowa State 3–8 1–7 1999 Iowa State 4–7 1–7 2000 Iowa State 9–3 5–3 2001 Iowa State 7–5 4–4 2002 Iowa State 7–7 4–4 2003 Iowa State 2–10 0–8 2004 Iowa State 7–5 4–4 .. 2005 Iowa State 7–5 4–4 2006 Iowa State 4–8 1–7

• Upvote 1

I don't care what anyone says, up until this point I haven't seen the team just completely give up out there. That is what happened today, it is Dodge-ball with running instead of passing. And I am not just talking about the score deficit being Dodge-like, I'm talking about the fact that both the coaching staff and players checked out early today. Disgraceful. This is freaking MTSU, not LSU.

I'm probably just drunk but I'm concerned with what we have in place(players & coaches alike) in terms of making a bowl game in the next three years.

that's called dickey ball

Look, he is looking at this thing long term. He is bound and determined that we will play physical, smashmouth football. And really, with what he has to work with....

If this is true then we are going to waste a lot of time and effort for nothing. No one that is a non auto-BCS program will ever have a chance to advance by playing smash mouth football. You never see Boise do it, or saw TCU do it. Ohio isn't doing it, neither is WKY or ULM.

And I'm sick of the "With what he had to work with" excuse. We got our heads handed to us today by poor coaching, plain and simple.

Middle got beat by McNeese at the start of the year. And went into this game without one of their stars. But instead of worrying about what they didnt have they put a game plan together that was better than ours, motivated their team better than ours and kicked the shit out of us.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Look, we do this after every loss. In sort-of chronological order

1) Someone brings Mac's coaching ability into question

2) somebody questions if this is really Chico's offense

3) ....bring up Mac's Iowa State record

4) ....random Iowa State lurker posts in DMac's defense, "But we LOVE that guy

5) ...Silver might say something about how he's a salesman

6)...quality of recruits is discussed

7)....who's our future QB?

8)....anyone else like pie?

9)...I'm going to the bar. see you all next week.

My reply was to individuals that state "Look what he did at Iowa State". Maybe thats good maybe not!

New Question for you if you approve: When is it fair to take a look at the Athletic Director? It would be interesting to know what the football

record has been under his watch.

Edited by PKC 89
  • Upvote 1

I have to admit that I question some of our on the field decisions. Why not kick the field goal with the wind when down 17-0? I'm usually a "go for it guy", but we needed some points, and if Olen booted it out of the endzone on the kickoff, a three and out would have put us back in the game. At least at that point.

Oh, does anyone else have a problem with us NEVER giving some snaps to our second team QB? There has been plenty of opportunities for that this year, and we are one ankle sprain away from putting in a guy with almost zero experience. Sorry if I missed an Ozzy insertion there in the second half, but I just couldn't watch every snap of this one.

• Upvote 2