SIGNED - 2012 HS - P.J. Hardwick - 5'10" PG

This will probably be a unpopular idea , but I say we ask Overlander to grey shirt or walk on for the 2012-13 season. If there is a chance we can add Harwick along w. Odoh & Coleman , you go for it. We are heading into a tougher conference and need to step up our talent. I think all 3 could be impact players in USA.

I just don't see where Overlander fits this year IF everyone is back and on board ( like I fully expect them to be). Clarke is a 2 , maybe a 3. With CJ back, Alzee can move back to the guard slot with Walton coming off the bench. I really don't see what Overlander could bring to the table that would push Walton for any PT. If we did add the very talented Harwick , we could have both him and CJ on the court at the sametime. Maybe move CJ over to the 2 at times.

At the 3 we have Patton and Jordan. Both very athletic , who can do just about everything. Again , I don't see Clarke pushing either of these 2 for playing time as a true frosh

Let's say we do this (add Odoh & Coleman) we could move Roger , Mitchell or even Niko to the 3 as well.

I'm not saying I'm against Overlander coming here , I just think the timing may be off. Next year would really be ideal. We will have a handful of ships and he could slide in and replace Walton.

In my opinion , a grey shirt or a walk on status ( just for this year) would help us more. Overlander seems to really love UNT and his parents could probably afford it , so it might work out.

Just a thought

Where do you see Hardwick fitting in this season and how soon could he help us?

This will probably be a unpopular idea , but I say we ask Overlander to grey shirt or walk on for the 2012-13 season. If there is a chance we can add Harwick along w. Odoh & Coleman , you go for it. We are heading into a tougher conference and need to step up our talent. I think all 3 could be impact players in USA.

I just don't see where Overlander fits this year IF everyone is back and on board ( like I fully expect them to be). Clarke is a 2 , maybe a 3. With CJ back, Alzee can move back to the guard slot with Walton coming off the bench. I really don't see what Overlander could bring to the table that would push Walton for any PT. If we did add the very talented Harwick , we could have both him and CJ on the court at the sametime. Maybe move CJ over to the 2 at times.

At the 3 we have Patton and Jordan. Both very athletic , who can do just about everything. Again , I don't see Clarke pushing either of these 2 for playing time as a true frosh

Let's say we do this (add Odoh & Coleman) we could move Roger , Mitchell or even Niko to the 3 as well.

I'm not saying I'm against Overlander coming here , I just think the timing may be off. Next year would really be ideal. We will have a handful of ships and he could slide in and replace Walton.

In my opinion , a grey shirt or a walk on status ( just for this year) would help us more. Overlander seems to really love UNT and his parents could probably afford it , so it might work out.

Just a thought

I don't know. This team desperately needs someone besides Walton who can knock down the 3 semi-consistently. That would be Clarke's role next year (on the court when Walton isn't).

Either way, it sure is nice to have these types of problems.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't know. This team desperately needs someone besides Walton who can knock down the 3 semi-consistently. That would be Clarke's role next year (on the court when Walton isn't).

i think jones and jwill can do that, assuming they stay and pass.

• Upvote 1

Jones and Williams are scorers; not shooters. Walton is too inconsistent for me to be satisfied. If we are running up and down the court, Overlander will not help, as he is suited for a slower paced style. I think he is a better overall shooter than Walton. He just does not have the foot speed nor range of Walton. (Just an observation from 3 Argyle games, telecast and video)

On a very good CUSA team (which we will not be in 2012-2013) I don't like either one in my starting lineup. Walton, however, is probably needed more next year because of experience. Don't like Jones and Hartwick at all together on the floor; as they will need the ball in their hands. I hope we are not sleeping on Trey Norris as a reserve point guard. He will never be a star but has accepted his role as a reserve. Can Hardwick accept and/or be effective as a role guy? idk

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't know. This team desperately needs someone besides Walton who can knock down the 3 semi-consistently. That would be Clarke's

role next year (on the court when Walton isn't).

Clarke is coming from a 3A school , I don't think we can count on him to just come in and knockdown shots from the get go vs much stellar competition. Big adjustments to be made. Let's not forget he played most of the season as post/forward. He will strictly be around the arc

shooting over people for the most part.

I'll agree with you in that if he does play , he does have a role on this team. With guards who drive & attention focused on TM , an outside shooter is a must.

I think Chris has a nice outside shot and can hit consistently. The one thing I didn't like about JJ's offense Is that our guards took too many illadvised , low percentage 3 point shots. Maybe this changes with the new coach

Alzee also gets a whole year to concentrate on his outside shot. We saw how much he improved physically in 1 offseason. I bet he can easily do the same knowing he doesn't have to worry about being point next year

And again, I'm not against the overlander signing. I just don't see any minutes for him this year

If I'm right , fully expect my very own thread about it !

Edited by NT03

Where do you see Hardwick fitting in this season and how soon could he help us?

Kinda hard to tell. I'm not sure what kind of style Benford has in mind. If this was JJ 's team , I'm sure we'd see them both on the court 30+ minutes a night much like when we has Josh & DoJo

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

Jones and Williams are scorers; not shooters. Walton is too inconsistent for me to be satisfied. If we are running up and down the court, Overlander will not help, as he is suited for a slower paced style. I think he is a better overall shooter than Walton. He just does not have the foot speed nor range of Walton. (Just an observation from 3 Argyle games, telecast and video)

On a very good CUSA team (which we will not be in 2012-2013) I don't like either one in my starting lineup. Walton, however, is probably needed more next year because of experience. Don't like Jones and Hartwick at all together on the floor; as they will need the ball in their hands. I hope we are not sleeping on Trey Norris as a reserve point guard. He will never be a star but has accepted his role as a reserve. Can Hardwick accept and/or be effective as a role guy? idk

He did play with Josh Gray , so I'm sure it can work out

• Upvote 1

True, but hopefully for only a short period of time; at the college level. As you know, most high schools/prep schools play their 5 best guys together. (Got to keep the parents happy) These guys were recruited to Christian Life with promises to play right away and for 1 year. (Gray played at Houston Wheatley while Hardwick played at Dekaney after coming in from Florida. As we also know, high school/prep coaches are rarely fired as well. I'm ok with certain match up wrinkles/gimmicks in general. Chris Jones or Hardwick would certainly not be as effective standing around. (Just my thought NT03)

Great job btw, with the updates!

• Upvote 2

True, but hopefully for only a short period of time; at the college level. As you know, most high schools/prep schools play their 5 best guys together. (Got to keep the parents happy) These guys were recruited to Christian Life with promises to play right away and for 1 year. (Gray played at Houston Wheatley while Hardwick played at Dekaney after coming in from Florida. As we also know, high school/prep coaches are rarely fired as well. I'm ok with certain match up wrinkles/gimmicks in general. Chris Jones or Hardwick would certainly not be as effective standing around. (Just my thought NT03)

Great job btw, with the updates!

Good points

Hopefully we will not have issues of standing around again this year. We seemed to be a bit lost this past year. Josh & TT kinda did their thing for 4 years and then CJ took over , but then had his issues. We seemed to lose our identity once that happened.

A)We have some issues talking hoops in the off season at 4 am , no ?

B)GASO , July , Duncanville. I might need a date.

You seem so pessimistic about the whole thing.

Every kid I knew that failed something their frosh year was able to recover. I guess you saw something different.

I could be wrong, but I think he was referring more to their ability to knock down 3's than their ability to remain eligible. I will say that I thought Jordan's shot was coming around quite nicely when his season ended.

• Upvote 1

Good points

Hopefully we will not have issues of standing around again this year. We seemed to be a bit lost this past year. Josh & TT kinda did their thing for 4 years and then CJ took over , but then had his issues. We seemed to lose our identity once that happened.

A)We have some issues talking hoops in the off season at 4 am , no ?

B)GASO , July , Duncanville. I might need a date.

What? I wasn't good enough company? I'll even bring my clipboard.

• Upvote 2

It's a bit uncomfortable to think in those terms, but I agree...I think Trey maxes out as a 5pt, 5ast, 15-20 min a night guy...a wonderful luxury as your reserve point, but even if Forrest never realizes his full potential he's still got the whole 6'10" thing going for him.

Maybe Clarke (yes, I just assumed the white kid like all of you assumed Collin Mangrum was a good shooter) may be in on academic scholarship?

Really, did you just suggest that UNT put the "white kid" on academic scholarship? So, white kids are academicly OK, but can't play basketball well enough to stay on an athletic scholarship after they are signed and BEFORE they even have one day's practice with the team? Is that what you really said? Funny! :thumbsd::stuff:

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

It's a bit uncomfortable to think in those terms, but I agree...I think Trey maxes out as a 5pt, 5ast, 15-20 min a night guy...a wonderful luxury as your reserve point, but even if Forrest never realizes his full potential he's still got the whole 6'10" thing going for him.

Maybe Clarke (yes, I just assumed the white kid like all of you assumed Collin Mangrum was a good shooter) may be in on academic scholarship?

There was video of him stroking the 3 in his junior year on here somewhere. I'm guessing that he had to move down low due to loss of height due to graduation before his senoir season. Total guess.I would guess more like 4 and 2 for Trey in 20 minutes.

EDIT: Looks like Argyle lost 6'7" and 6'4" seniors starters from last year's squad, which may have forced Clarke down low.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Good kid, Was a package w/Gray to MSU. When Gray opted out, they dropped Hardwick. He's not on the same planet as Jones, and isn't better than Trey either, IMO. He's a super nice kid, gets good grades and a nice late Spring signing. Congrats

go away please and cheer on all of the suspended players Brown is bringing in. The UP Police Blotter will be busy this upcoming school year.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Good kid, Was a package w/Gray to MSU. When Gray opted out, they dropped Hardwick. He's not on the same planet as Jones, and isn't better than Trey either, IMO. He's a super nice kid, gets good grades and a nice late Spring signing. Congrats

Tell us which career criminals SMU will be signing this week that couldn't hack it at a major program.

• Upvote 2

go away please and cheer on all of the suspended players Brown is bringing in. The UP Police Blotter will be busy this upcoming school year.

If you can get past the fact that HoopmanX is associated with SMU, he actually brings alot of knowledge to the table.

I for one am glad he's here. If for anything else, to give us perspective on guys that we're seeing through green-tinted glasses.

Please keep posting HoopmanX

• Upvote 3

Except that he is looking through a pony's ass. He never gives a real assessment, he only comes in and says that a player is not good enough to play at SMU or how they couldn't be addmitted to SMU. LB has been offering kids that should be in prison. If a player that commits to UNT has an offer listed from SMU he says, "Well, they never really had an offer from SMU." Yeah right, like getting an offer from SMU is something a kid would lie about like it is some great achievement in life. Why wouldn't they just say they have an offer from UNC or Duke? Hoopmanx would suck LB's d*** for our roster and LB would prbably let him. Enjoy your future probation.

damn......

Except that he is looking through a pony's ass. He never gives a real assessment, he only comes in and says that a player is not good enough to play at SMU or how they couldn't be addmitted to SMU. LB has been offering kids that should be in prison. If a player that commits to UNT has an offer listed from SMU he says, "Well, they never really had an offer from SMU." Yeah right, like getting an offer from SMU is something a kid would lie about like it is some great achievement in life. Why wouldn't they just say they have an offer from UNC or Duke? Hoopmanx would suck LB's d*** for our roster and LB would prbably let him. Enjoy your future probation.

Tell me where he says this stuff in his quote above?

Your hypothetical scenario above happened maybe once... and who knows if that is true?

Good grief the hatred of SMU that some of you have is stupid.

Do they have stereotypical students/alumni? YES!

Do alot of them look down on UNT? YES!

Do all of them? No.

Does HoopmanX look down on UNT and our basketball program? His comments on our team do not demonstrate this.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1