2012 Mean Green Football Schedule

I don't know, this one may give it a run for the money!

9/2/1995  @ Missouri   

9/9/1995    Kansas  

9/16/1995    Oregon State  

9/23/1995  @ Oklahoma

10/7/1995  @ Nevada

10/14/1995    Alabama-Birmingham

10/21/1995  @ Louisiana State  

10/28/1995  @ Alabama  

11/4/1995  @ Nevada-Las Vegas

11/11/1995    Idaho State

11/18/1995  @ Louisville

9/2/1995  @ Missouri   

9/9/1995    Kansas  

9/23/1995  @ Oklahoma

10/7/1995  @ Nevada

10/28/1995  @ Alabama  

11/18/1995  @ Louisville

Definitely a tougher schedule, but one much more capable of creating and maintaining interest.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9/2/1995  @ Missouri   

9/9/1995    Kansas  

9/23/1995  @ Oklahoma

10/7/1995  @ Nevada

10/28/1995  @ Alabama  

11/18/1995  @ Louisville

I said home schedule and the 1995 home schedule I see here is awesome, but yeah that'd be a tough season. If we had that slate next year I'd say 5 wins tops

Students will turn out big on a Tuesday night nationally televised game.

Not much happens for students on a Tuesday in early October. Hype up that its actually going to be on ESPN and not ESPN the Ocho or whatever and it could be an awesome environment.

I'm more worried about the alumni side showing up.

your avi is the worst in america... it should be banned from the boards, unless its in the eagles nest.. its only fair

• Upvote 3

This is a business , you have to keep the customers happy . Outside the 500-1,000 hardcore fans,u have to be able to sell the product. This schedule is epic fail from a business standpoint. You can't sell this to the casual fan. We will have much lower #'s this year.

This is what bugs me the most. I've got two sets of friends who came to games this year but when they go to look at this schedule to see if they want to commit to buying season tickets, they are going to say, well only 5 games, one is TSU, on I can't make because it's Tuesday, so 3 games. I think I'll pass.

All of this is in the 2nd season of the stadium where it should be easier to sell tickets, becuase peoeple started to notice things are getting serious in Denton, but then this schedule says, not so much.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This thread is completely pathetic and you guys are so out of touch it's not even funny. You may be a bunch of whiny people who can't ask off for a Tuesday night game a year in advance, but most will and WILL BE incredibly excited that we're on ESPN. Enough with the bitching. Seriously. Having 5 games sucks but it's an easily winnable schedule. 7+ wins are EXPECTED. People will show up. Knowing that we don't suck this year, fans will come. It's not like before. When we were good before, it was because "Oh, the Sun Belt sucks, who cares? Our stadium is a dump." People will show up. Get rid of the bad FAU and MTSU weather, you have a really good attendance yearly average. Look what winning does: see ULL.

• Upvote 4

I said home schedule and the 1995 home schedule I see here is awesome, but yeah that'd be a tough season. If we had that slate next year I'd say 5 wins tops

What makes it awesome, the 4 home games, one of which is Idaho State? I thought the number of home games was a part of the problem here.

• Upvote 1

You may be a bunch of whiny people who can't ask off for a Tuesday night game a year in advance, but most will and WILL BE incredibly excited that we're on ESPN.

How is March to October a year? I may not be a math whiz, but I calculate seven months, just over half a year.

Enough with the bitching. Seriously.

Agreed.

People will show up. Knowing that we don't suck this year, fans will come. It's not like before. When we were good before, it was because "Oh, the Sun Belt sucks, who cares? Our stadium is a dump." People will show up.

History disagrees. Four years of consistent winning didn't bring fans to see Sun Belt opponents. The Sun Belt still does not appeal to most of our fans, despite the improvement in the quality of the programs. Our stadium is great, but we built it last year, and they didn't consistently come. Our field of dreams still needs a quality product to get people to show up. We have completed step 1, but step 2 is still not done. We need to try to get at least one home game a year that is a known opponent so we can get new people to show up and enjoy our new facility so they are more likely to show up for the other games.

Edited by forevereagle
  • Upvote 1

History disagrees. Four years of consistent winning didn't bring fans to see Sun Belt opponents. The Sun Belt still does not appeal to most of our fans, despite the improvement in the quality of the programs. Our stadium is nicer, but we built it last year, and they didn't consistently come. Our field of dreams still needs a quality product to get people to show up. We have completed step 1, but step 2 is still not done. We need to try to get at least one home game a year that is a known opponent so we can get new people to show up and enjoy our new facility so they are more likely to show up for the other games.

History has been proven wrong. Didn't we set our yearly attendance record last year? Draw 29K for Houston after another SEC blowout? Students will show up for the game, it's a Tuesday night in October, students will be there. The alumni need to man up and show up, if they don't, it's pathetic and they are embarrassing. You think Sooner, Longhorn, or hell, even ULL fans would miss this game? NO. This game is way different than the Troy game. There is way more student pride now than there was before, we have a beautiful new stadium, parents/family will want to come, and we should be having a fairly good season. It should end up as a major Sun Belt clash.

Okay, 7 months. Man up. Request off.

Edited by rjmunthe
  • Upvote 4

UNT sold out to try to get a schedule together that would allow the Mean Green to make a run at .500 in the final year of the Todd Dodge era and then had to get a good first home game in Apogee Stadium last year.

Schools have to pay up when they make deals like that. UNT is doing just that next season.

I think this is what people are overlooking. I don't like the way it works, but this is the reality of the situation.

Be there because it is our team.

• Upvote 2

How is March to October a year? I may not be a math whiz, but I calculate seven months, just over half a year.

Agreed.

History disagrees. Four years of consistent winning didn't bring fans to see Sun Belt opponents. The Sun Belt still does not appeal to most of our fans, despite the improvement in the quality of the programs. Our stadium is nicer, but we built it last year, and they didn't consistently come. Our field of dreams still needs a quality product to get people to show up. We have completed step 1, but step 2 is still not done. We need to try to get at least one home game a year that is a known opponent so we can get new people to show up and enjoy our new facility so they are more likely to show up for the other games.

here's the flaw in your theory -- We did not get enough fans to come out to Fouts when we were winning CONFERENCE games in a crappy stadium FOUTS. What we haven't yet proved is if fans will come to Apogee when we are winning...we've had 7 straight losing seasons! Dickey couldnt win a non confernce game to save his damn life and I sense that Mac isnt accepting that fate. The best scenario in my mind is the same thing it has takes a lot of the mid majors to flourish and that is a signature win against a BCS program on a national stage, ie Boise beating OU or TCU beating USC in the Rose bowl.

I actually look at the 18K as a positive, we have 18K fans that will be here no matter how bad things are. Fans that still come out and watch a program that has NO RIVAL game and frankly never has.... A positive movement on the field or in conference placement netting us some more recognizable opponents would make a huge difference.

I just feel the need to remind people when we were winning it was in a brand new conference that no one knew about against teams no one had heard of in a stadium no one wanted to sit in.

The bigger issue that I saw last year was we had 2 bad weather games and our new stadium location hindered student attendance because it was across the highway. I think the 3 million dollar bridge will help the student issue next year and our chances of having 2 bad weather games in only 5 home games is small. Actually 5 home games should help the average attendance numbers.

I just feel the need to remind people when we were winning it was in a brand new conference that no one knew about against teams no one had heard of in a stadium no one wanted to sit in.

The bigger issue that I saw last year was we had 2 bad weather games and our new stadium location hindered student attendance because it was across the highway. I think the 3 million dollar bridge will help the student issue next year and our chances of having 2 bad weather games in only 5 home games is small. Actually 5 home games should help the average attendance numbers.

Absolutely spot on. This is what I've been saying.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No. Unless your willing to believe the 3 to 5,000...or less, who actually showed up in the rain on December 3rd was truly 15,962, as reported?

Rick

Tickets sold, yes. I think it's fair to say most of our attendance issues still stemmed from FAU and MTSU. Bad weather.

Edited by rjmunthe

I think it's fair to say most of our attendance issues still stemmed from FAU and MTSU. Bad weather.

I agree. The MTSU game was miserable for sure. It almost reminded me of the freezing WKY game a few years ago. which proved without a doubt that we have some great, tough, and loyal fans. We don't have a lot of them. But the ones we do have, are the best in the nation. They will be there, regardless of what is thrown at them.

Rick

• Upvote 1

I agree. The MTSU game was miserable for sure. It almost reminded me of the freezing WKY game a few years ago. which proved without a doubt that we have some great, tough, and loyal fans. We don't have a lot of them. But the ones we do have, are the best in the nation. They will be there, regardless of what is thrown at them.

Rick

stood there in the rain the whole time... i thought about leaving when we were up 40-soomething to zip and Lance had already broken the record... but then realized I would be crazy for leaving a game this historic

• Upvote 1

stood there in the rain the whole time... i thought about leaving when we were up 40-soomething to zip and Lance had already broken the record... but then realized I would be crazy for leaving a game this historic

Stayed there in the rain, just a parka and a t-shirt...came down with a cold.

I loved that MTSU game, stood there in a jacket/jeans and was hanging out with me and a group of 5 guys i convinced to go, saying i have a feeling about today. got sick for a week, but stlll epic, (and convinced 5 guys who plan to go to every game next season because of that game)

• Upvote 1

I loved that MTSU game, stood there in a jacket/jeans and was hanging out with me and a group of 5 guys i convinced to go, saying i have a feeling about today. got sick for a week, but stlll epic, (and convinced 5 guys who plan to go to every game next season because of that game)

Watching Dunbar...that game was epic.

• Upvote 1

9/2/1995  @ Missouri   

9/9/1995    Kansas  

9/23/1995  @ Oklahoma

10/7/1995  @ Nevada

10/28/1995  @ Alabama  

11/18/1995  @ Louisville

I hate to pile on, but I'm wondering what point you're trying to make here? You had to go back 17 years to find a crappier schedule than this 2012 schedule?! Our first season returning to D1A ball?

:D

• Upvote 2

This is a horrible schedule, I'm not sure how anyone can disagree. Sure there are reasons for the schedule, but that does not change the fact that it is very bad. Of your five home games NT has a bad fc program for it only out of conference game, a fb newby, and a Tuesday night game. Add to that NT will be a heavy underdog in all the away oc games.

I am not like many who don't seem to realize that your home schedule is gong to suffer when you play guarantee away games and having only 1 oc game a year is going to frequently happen. I also think that NT probably sold out this year to get a great Apogee opening schedule, which too few realized. (note to Veto, Dodge had nothing to do this years schedule). However, IMO there is no reason to ever have a schedule this unappealing.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

time to get over the effing schedule and either do something about it or just enjoy it as best you can. seven effing pages of bitching...enough!!! take advantage of the five games that we do get and make a road game or two if you aren't happy...damn...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

I hate to pile on, but I'm wondering what point you're trying to make here? You had to go back 17 years to find a crappier schedule than this 2012 schedule?! Our first season returning to D1A ball?

:D

Harry ain't nothing but positive.

I believe his point is, you'll live. 17 years from now, you'll still be a fan whining about the latest ant piss to rain on UNT athletics. We might be in the Shine Barf conference, west division with LaTech and UTSA, but by God GMG.com will still be around with these tasty offseason debates, scheduling conflicts, and a bottle of Grey Goose. Plumm will be there waiting for you, spelling out for you where the hells bells we should be and Kram will still be gushing positives.

17 years later, we are still here!

zion01.jpg

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2