NICE GESTURE BY COACH MAC

KRAM1

Nope. That's not it. There are many students who have never played sports or who didn't grow up with a culture of sports who get caught up in the college atmosphere. The operative word here is atmosphere. Winning is great, yes, but that's not really what brings people to games. During the early 2000s, we had the longest conference winning streak in the nation, and attendance wasn't horrible, but it wasn't as good as this year. What got people starting to come out was the atmosphere. I was president of Clark Hall during those years, and we consistently brought 30-40 residents per game (those are just the ones who sat with us). We didn't start out with that number initially, but we hung out in the entry way and common rooms before the games, offering to paint students up, loan a t-shirt, and just become involved. Many of the students had never really been interested in sports, but they became some of the most rabid fans. Yes, they were music majors, art majors, or other majors you think are the "weirdos" who don't care about sports. Rather than ostracize what you perceive as the super majority of students on campus, maybe you could focus your efforts on finding ways to help those students connect to sports.

Well put!

We've sort of created that 'atmosphere' with lots of Green Brigade Alumni. Most of the section in the section just to the North of the GB at the games is alumni. All of us that are either still students or are alumni still close to Denton after graduation usually tailgate (and actually go into the stadium) for all the games. Part of the responsibility goes to the students to create their own little 'mini-atmosphere'.

Why students today think they need to be "spoon fed" everything is beyond me.

Old man syndrome? Just kidding KRAM :P

I agree that Coach Mac is doing a terrific job - I'm really proud to have him as our Head Coach.

Students seem to be interested in attending a "big event". I think in most of their minds, a home UNT Football Game is a "big event" if one of the following is true:

1) We are playing a name opponent (e.g. Baylor, Houston, etc.).

2) We have a good record and have recently beaten a name opponent

3) We are playing a game that means something significant (example: game to decide a Conf championship)

At some other schools (Texas, Texas A&M, etc.), a home Football Game is a big event in and of itself without any other criteria. We're just not at that point yet. A great tailgating environment does help as does great weather. Anything else that can be done to promote the games as a "big event" would help to get students to the games. Once there, if we have a product on the field that catches their attention, we have a chance to get them hooked.

• Upvote 1

Nope. That's not it. There are many students who have never played sports or who didn't grow up with a culture of sports who get caught up in the college atmosphere. The operative word here is atmosphere. Winning is great, yes, but that's not really what brings people to games.

Well put. Probably not the best example but one of my best friends was born and raised in Dubai and he had no idea of what football was when he moved here during his high school years. He went to UT and one day went to a football game and he's been a die hard Longhorns and football fan ever since. Again I know it is UT but we need to stop labeling our students as weirdos, hippies and music majors, art people etc because that holds no water. Go to other schools and people that fall under those groups like sports, attend games and have pride for their school.

That didn't happen after our four year bowl run from 2001 to 2004.....which included one win.

Those years were great, but we had a coach who chose a bunker mentality and did little for the crowds, now if DMac or someone of similar enthusiasm were in place things may have been different, so hopefully this time we do not screw it up.

Out of all these posts I believe it is the "Event" angle we must work on.

People want to go have fun. I have fun tailgating, but I am a diehard. What are we doing to make the event fun for students and the community. I hate committees because they often do more motivational damage than good, but in this case I believe a committee of community, alumni, students and others needs to come together now to make next year's 5 or 6 events be amazing. They all need to meet NOW to grow the ground game just after New Years and create planned events that draw in all elements next year. I sometimes feel we leave too much up to one group or person. Yes it is the AD's department job but we must increase the reach via lots of arms and I am talking volunteer arms like you do in a campaign. Every single big business in Denton should have a tent at the tailgate with their employees friends and family in attendance for every home game. It seemed like there was more at Fouts than this year. Maybe they were placed somewhere else.

Either way it is critical that the grassroots version Mean Green Party get organized now.

One request from the AD's office is to please pummel me with UNT information. As a UNLV fan and ticket holder as well I get gameday updates. The email simply says "It's Rebel gameday." All the details for me to head to the stadium or tune in online or via tv are provided. Now that basketball is here I am a casual Mean Green follower, but if I was flagged about I would be inclined to tune in. Also, I receive FIU updates 2 - 3 times a week showing me their new gear, their holiday gear, their bowl gear, announcing their watching party in Miami - all of this after giving them just a snippet of information.

Yes Kram, I need to be spoonfed because I am always on the road but always near my computer. By the way great seeing you at the show last night.

Annoy me with Mean Green updates - pre and post game. Keep me top of mind. That is what we must do with Denton, Alums and friends of the university.

Also, thinking out loud here but how about an open house in the spring? So many people asked me "How is the new stadium" this season. What about throwing a couple of events in the spring to allow the curious to tour the facilities, enjoy movie night or enjoy a free concert. Get some folks into the stands and stadium and then pummel them with next year's home gate dates.

The time to annoy is now. Mean Green 2012: Persistent, persuasive, committed.

GMG

Those years were great, but we had a coach who chose a bunker mentality and did little for the crowds, now if DMac or someone of similar enthusiasm were in place things may have been different, so hopefully this time we do not screw it up.

I hope so and it should work. Dickie did not have the bunker mentality at first although he was never very outgoing. Still, we should just count on "we're in a bowl" or "we're playing X" to get everyone excited because history has proven it takes more than that!

Now you're talking! Dan certainly has a right to complain. His team and recruits looked directly across into a student section of what?...300-500 plus the band. God bless those students in attendance but they're far from enough to attract the caliber of players that we need to maintain a FBS university.

Coach Mac is off of his butt doing what he can to garner support but he needs a lot of help. The administration and the faculty need to be behind this program big-time. We have made a significant investment and we need to promote it. Everyone in the AD needs to be selling students and alumni, but especially students, on the merits of all of the programs of this university.

I remember Firefighting Rick leading a group of us over to the student side of Fouts after they had approved the athletic fee which allowed the building of Apogee. We thanked them and called them the greatest generation. Where are they now?

What does the University of North Texas want to be? Do they want to be a complete university such as UT, A&M, Tech, Houston, and the like or do we want to be UT-Dallas, where little goes on beyond classes? No knock on UTD; they are highly rated and give their students a good education...and little else. Hell, UTEP puts us to shame when it comes to attending athletic events with little more than half our student enrollment.

I hope that Dan, the athletic department, the administration, the faculty and alumni that get what the value of spirit, loyalty, and pride can do for a university are successful.

Just curious Jack. When you were reading "The Story of North Texas" what was your impression about how the founders and early administrators of NT felt about that same question? Especially as it relates to athletics.

I just wanted to mention what i thought was a very nice gesture from Coach Mac last evening at the final Coach Mac Radio Show of the year...Coach Mac personally bought a drink (beer, soda, etc.) for everyone in attendance as a token of his thanks for our attendance during the year. He has consistently called us the "few, the proud" and stuff like that during the year and has thanked everyone on several occasions, so we pretty much knew how he felt about our attendance, so this gesture was really unexpected and heartfelt.

I truly believe that Coach Mac is the right guy at the right time for UNT. Thanks Coach mac for helping to re-establish UNT on the road to being a winning program once again.

I did feel a touch of frustration on Coach Mac's part last evening when he talked about attendance and specifically student attendance. he made the comment that he felt like he had done everything he could to engage the student body and to help get them interested in attending games. I sensed a bit of frustration on his part with the results and payback from the students for his and his team's efforts. He said it made a big difference to recruits when they visit to see a full stadium...it said it matters and while UNT set an all-time attendance record this season, he was hopeful that the UNT fan base and the student body would get behind the program and turn out in bigger and bigger numbers in the future.

It was a very positive and very enjoyable show to attend last evening. Coach Mac talked about players he discussed for all conference on the coach call in recently...Lance Dunbar,Will Atterberry, AK, Zach Orr. He also mentioned Lemon as freshman of the year and Lance as Offensive player of the year. Interesting also that he mentioned that not all the SunBelt coaches attended that conference call...several SunBelt Coaches on the call were not at all happy about that...even mentioned the possibility of future fines for non-attendance. Hmmmmm...interesting. He also talked about several red shirt freshmen that he feels will have impact next season, how our O-line will immediately be in better shape across the board.

Some of you folks who also attended help me out with some names here for those who couldn't attend or listen in on the radio.

Anyway, it was a nice last show, and I was happy I got to be part of it. Next season is looking even better...

This post has been promoted to an article

This is one of the issues that frustrated Hayden Fry. He and his staff made HUGE inroads into changing the culture at North Texas. But the numbers did not make a big enough jump, because even after being nationally ranked and a couple of 9 win seasons, the perception was still out there that North Texas students/alumni would not turn out in large enough numbers to justify inviting North Texas to a bowl game.

Hayden Fry did not try to do it all himself. He hired some very creative and MOTIVATED people to constantly get out amongst the students and community to make sure that the Mean Green was always visable. This included getting a van that was painted Mean Green, with the "Worm" on the side, for one of his staff (Bill Vogel) to drive around the campus, city, and metroplex.....thus getting the "brand" out there every day.

I am concerned that Coach McCarney is given too much responsibility to "market" the team. He does need to do his part to sell his program, but right now, he needs to concentrate on recruiting some "difference makers". And leave the majority of marketing to the people who are hired to.....well......MARKET.

• Upvote 1

This is one of the issues that frustrated Hayden Fry. He and his staff made HUGE inroads into changing the culture at North Texas. But the numbers did not make a big enough jump, because even after being nationally ranked and a couple of 9 win seasons, the perception was still out there that North Texas students/alumni would not turn out in large enough numbers to justify inviting North Texas to a bowl game.

Hayden Fry did not try to do it all himself. He hired some very creative and MOTIVATED people to constantly get out amongst the students and community to make sure that the Mean Green was always visable. This included getting a van that was painted Mean Green, with the "Worm" on the side, for one of his staff (Bill Vogel) to drive around the campus, city, and metroplex.....thus getting the "brand" out there every day.

I am concerned that Coach McCarney is given too much responsibility to "market" the team. He does need to do his part to sell his program, but right now, he needs to concentrate on recruiting some "difference makers". And leave the majority of marketing to the people who are hired to.....well......MARKET.

I think Coach Mac has a lot more advantages surrounding than maybe what Fry had in those days. Being a ranked team and winning will go a long long way because the media and exposure is so much more greater and powerful that the buzz would come from all over the place from the local outlets and then national ones. Frankly Coach Mach shouldn't have to sell the team as much as selling recruits and winning. Even when you don't have top recruits you can still win with dynamite systems and coaching...just look at Boise State.

I hope so and it should work. Dickie did not have the bunker mentality at first although he was never very outgoing. Still, we should just count on "we're in a bowl" or "we're playing X" to get everyone excited because history has proven it takes more than that!

dickey is the only coach to ever come out to our flag football game, that i know of...i've only missed one. he gave out hats and signed them if we wanted...i believe this was year two....not totally sure...he tried with the diehards, but wasn't very outgoing to the casual fans...i hope to see the dantrain out there this year at our game!

• Upvote 1

Just curious Jack. When you were reading "The Story of North Texas" what was your impression about how the founders and early administrators of NT felt about that same question? Especially as it relates to athletics.

I'm not Jack, but according to that book, the early administrators had no intention of making North Texas a "complete university." Dr. Bruce and others indicate in their correspondence that North Texas was to serve an entirely different function from UT and A&M--North Texas, San Marcos, and the other normals were specifically for teacher preparation.

I'm not Jack, but according to that book, the early administrators had no intention of making North Texas a "complete university." Dr. Bruce and others indicate in their correspondence that North Texas was to serve an entirely different function from UT and A&M--North Texas, San Marcos, and the other normals were specifically for teacher preparation.

And this is the foundation of our culture at North Texas. It continued throughout our school's history. During Dr. Matthews administration (50's to early 70's) he actively discouraged and/or forbid fund raising for athletics. The Mean Green club did not come into existence until 74 or 75 when Hayden Fry was the AD and C.C. (Jitter) Nolan was President.

Same thing that I expected to find Bill, that North Texas early administrators intended to build the largest and finest teacher-training institute in the country. Athletics were important but strictly second-fiddle to building the college.

The man that changed it all was Dr. Joe McConnell. In 1949, he set up five different schools to form a university and dropped "teachers" from the official name. We were awarded our own Board of Regents and we largely became self-governing. He also began to change athletics from "small college" to "major college." The requirement then was simple...just schedule five or more major colleges and you were then a major college. We did that in 1953 and sealed it when we became members of the Missouri Valley Conference

in 1957.

Had Dr. McConnell lived a little longer then I believe that we'd be much farther along in endowments and athletics than we currently are.

I just wanted to mention what i thought was a very nice gesture from Coach Mac last evening at the final Coach Mac Radio Show of the year...Coach Mac personally bought a drink (beer, soda, etc.) for everyone in attendance as a token of his thanks for our attendance during the year. He has consistently called us the "few, the proud" and stuff like that during the year and has thanked everyone on several occasions, so we pretty much knew how he felt about our attendance, so this gesture was really unexpected and heartfelt.

Damn! I miss attending one Coach Mac Radio Show because I have to take my daughter to her basketball practice and Coach Mac buys everyone a beer.

Out of all these posts I believe it is the "Event" angle we must work on.

People want to go have fun. I have fun tailgating, but I am a diehard. What are we doing to make the event fun for students and the community. I hate committees because they often do more motivational damage than good, but in this case I believe a committee of community, alumni, students and others needs to come together now to make next year's 5 or 6 events be amazing. They all need to meet NOW to grow the ground game just after New Years and create planned events that draw in all elements next year. I sometimes feel we leave too much up to one group or person. Yes it is the AD's department job but we must increase the reach via lots of arms and I am talking volunteer arms like you do in a campaign. Every single big business in Denton should have a tent at the tailgate with their employees friends and family in attendance for every home game. It seemed like there was more at Fouts than this year. Maybe they were placed somewhere else.

Either way it is critical that the grassroots version Mean Green Party get organized now.

GMG

I think you hit the nail on the head, the "Event" aspect was not as prevalent this year as in years past, at least not the pregame tailgating. This may mainly be a result of tailgating activities being spread out over too large of an area in too many diverse lots whereas at Fouts the tailgating festivities were concentrated on the east side of the stadium. The Hill at Apogee has got to become THE PARTY PLACE in Denton on gamedays. The social aspects of the party atmosphere are a major draw for North Texas games, especially the students. Any fool that 'fudges' with tailgating, even by bitching on these message boards, should be burned at the stake during the Homecoming Bonfire.

Additionally the no ridiculous re-entry policy should be revoked. It's seems totally unnecessary and it further deters tailgating by the stadium, thereby decreasing the festive atmosphere.

• Downvote 1

Hah! I like how now everyone, after gripping at my post is saying exactly what I had said. Even you foutsrouts. Let me quote you.

" but I do think it has gotten to the point that Rawlins and the administration need to seriously get involved somehow in the attendance issue. I don't know: memo the prof''s, call an emergency meeting, involve all levels in formulating a strategy,"

This is EXACTLY what I said and you found every need to disagree with me.

And Green P1, are you the resident d*uche bag? Do you feel the need to be negative towards others? Way to create community. You're a classy guy... :rolleyes:

And marketing is not Coach Mac's job. He's the coach and he's been to every freshman orientation. He's been a champ on his end of this.

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

dickey is the only coach to ever come out to our flag football game, that i know of...i've only missed one. he gave out hats and signed them if we wanted...i believe this was year two....not totally sure...he tried with the diehards, but wasn't very outgoing to the casual fans...i hope to see the dantrain out there this year at our game!

when he was there was he staring longingly at the uniforms?

perhaps a certain shade of black caught his eye?