Time For A Change ?

MeanGreen61

Is it just me ? I find myself reading less and less of Vito's offerings in the DRC.

He seems to be stuck in a time warp with his love for DD and hatred of TD while taking the glass is half empty approach in writing about UNT. A fresh outlook would be nice.

Personally, I find him to be pretty much on the mark. But, that is my point of view and I can understand how others may feel differently. I don't know if he loves DD or hates TD so much, but it is hard to say much positive about the prior 4 years and at least some positive things can be said about the DD era (four bowl games, crushing Baylor, etc.), though I think DD had reached the limits of what he could achieve at UNT. It's is hard to see how anyone would not think the glass is currently half empty/half full with the program at this point in time. Some positives....some negatives...lots of work to do.

• Upvote 5

Vito tells the truth...what's wrong with that? when pointing out that the dodge era is the worst in history, is he just a bitter writer or a factual writer? he is factual, as dodge had the worst winning percentage in history. Thats just 1 example of stuff people on this board complain about him. Now im not saying i agree with everything he has ever written, i have found more times then not he give an acurate picture of UNT athletics. Were lucky to still have a beat writer with all the cuts the newspaper industry went through. I think he does a good job.

Edited by bstnsportsfan3
  • Upvote 4

I'd say Vito has been pretty much right about things thus far this season. I don't like some of the things he writes, but again, these things are pretty much hitting the nail on the head. It sux, but the truth is a killer these days... the folks that do remain faithful are questioning their faith, and the t-shirt alumns with UNT degrees are moving further and further away from being a part of the solution... dark days, Vito is taking some of the heat because everyone wants to kill the messenger...

• Upvote 3

It seems to me much of the Anti Vito sentiment comes down to the fact that he isn't a cheerleader for the department. This is really confusing to me since Tim MacMahon is still beloved and he never pulled any punches either. In fact, he was much more confrontational in my opinion.

In the end, is Vito a victim of the fact he has covered a lot of losing seasons? Probably.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Have you ever thought about it?

Exactly. I'm not saying that Vito is wrong. It's just that I don't want to be reminded of the last six years ad nauseum.

Look at the first five questions posed. That pretty much says it for me so why continue doing it? Elevating DD to a greatness continually actually has the opposite effect on me. And, is there a soul here that does not know of Dodge's sorry record? Is there anyone that enjoys being constantly reminded of it?

For pete's sake Brett, base your comparisons on the beginning of Coach Mac's era. We all know that he didn't start with a load of talent. An occasional reference to bygone eras is fine but I certainly don't enjoy a steady diet to the tune that I've turned you off.

• Upvote 5

1. Vito is not an employee of the athletic department, so it is not his job to be a cheerleader. Plus, being a cheerleader (at least when "official" people do it) sounds dumb anyways...anyone remember the "NT outgains Tulsa in road loss" headline on Mean Green Sports.

2. Vito is a victim of horrendous football. Someone else said it, but he would not appear so doom and gloom if there was happy stuff to report on, and he would have more to report on if Mccarney (for better or for worse) opened things up a little bit. I don't have a problem with Mccarney being hush-hush, but don't blame that on Vito either.

3. Lastly, considering he posts on this board, isn't this a little awkward... :unsure:

To be clear, I do have my issues with Vito's writing sometimes, but I think it is more a product of the situation than anything.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 2

Exactly. I'm not saying that Vito is wrong. It's just that I don't want to be reminded of the last six years ad nauseum.

Look at the first five questions posed. That pretty much says it for me so why continue doing it? Elevating DD to a greatness continually actually has the opposite effect on me. And, is there a soul here that does not know of Dodge's sorry record? Is there anyone that enjoys being constantly reminded of it?

For pete's sake Brett, base your comparisons on the beginning of Coach Mac's era. We all know that he didn't start with a load of talent. An occasional reference to bygone eras is fine but I certainly don't enjoy a steady diet to the tune that I've turned you off.

Bravo!!!

The man's arrogance is replusive.......when he feels he has been proven right, mistaken or not and even weeks after the fact, he will make sure that we know that he so prognosticated.

Given the arrogance, he lost credibility with me long ago.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Brett Vito, you just lost a listener!

Also, we're knocking Vito for being arrogant and condescending while praising T-Mac in the same thread?

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1