Harbaugh conversation

UNT90

Just had a guy from the NFL network on discussing Harbaugh. While talking about past coaching stops, he mentioned that Harbaugh was upset and disappointed that he did nit get the UNT job. A far cry from all the "we couldn't afford him" posts I've seen on here.

Does this university ever make the proper decision when faced with a program altering decision? If so, I sure would like an example

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just had a guy from the NFL network on discussing Harbaugh. While talking about past coaching stops, he mentioned that Harbaugh was upset and disappointed that he did nit get the UNT job. A far cry from all the "we couldn't afford him" posts I've seen on here.

Does this university ever make the proper decision when faced with a program altering decision? If so, I sure would like an example

Athletic Village, New Football Stadium, Hiring Mac, and soon to b announced moving to a new conf.....awesome !!! :goodjob:

• Upvote 1

Just to shed some light on the situation. Jim Harbaugh was offered and in principal accepted the UNT job. He literally shook hands with Rick saying "I'm good if you're good" boarded a plane to San Diego, got off the plane and had a voicemail from Stanford offering him over a million per year. He then called Rick to apologize and said that he was going to accept the Stanford job. Almost 2 days later this was the same thing with Jimbo Fischer with him accepting the UNT job in principal, but being offered the Florida State job. So, I am say that UNT were hours away from having having either Harbaugh or Fischer as a head coach. But that is how the ball bounces sometimes.

• Upvote 7

Just to shed some light on the situation. Jim Harbaugh was offered and in principal accepted the UNT job. He literally shook hands with Rick saying "I'm good if you're good" boarded a plane to San Diego, got off the plane and had a voicemail from Stanford offering him over a million per year. He then called Rick to apologize and said that he was going to accept the Stanford job. Almost 2 days later this was the same thing with Jimbo Fischer with him accepting the UNT job in principal, but being offered the Florida State job. So, I am say that UNT were hours away from having having either Harbaugh or Fischer as a head coach. But that is how the ball bounces sometimes.

That's the way UNT football go.

• Upvote 3

But, wait, this destroys the myth that UNT didn't try to get Harbaugh or Fischer. And, lays it on Harbaugh and Fischer who actually turned UNT down...not the other way around. Oh, what have you done? What are you trying to do here? Good grief, man, what will all the "doesn't the AD ever make a good decision" folks going to do now?

Let's see...Coach Mac...good move, thank you very much. Athletic Village...done deal...good move...Apogee Stadium...done deal...good move...Coach Hedlund, Coach Jones, Coach Lama, Coach Aston...OK, I could go on...good moves....gosh, this guy just never makes a good move. Sarcasm flowing big time as one types.....

• Upvote 5

But, wait, this destroys the myth that UNT didn't try to get Harbaugh or Fischer. And, lays it on Harbaugh and Fischer who actually turned UNT down...not the other way around. Oh, what have you done? What are you trying to do here? Good grief, man, what will all the "doesn't the AD ever make a good decision" folks going to do now?

Let's see...Coach Mac...good move, thank you very much. Athletic Village...done deal...good move...Apogee Stadium...done deal...good move...Coach Hedlund, Coach Jones, Coach Lama, Coach Aston...OK, I could go on...good moves....gosh, this guy just never makes a good move. Sarcasm flowing big time as one types.....

TODD DODGE

It doesn't cancel it all out...but it comes close

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

If true, this makes me feel better about the situation. Maybe George didn't call him out because he didn't want to embarass a guest? Why wouldn't George clarify after the NFL guy was off the air with them?

Your response does beg the question: How did we go from those 2 candidates to hiring a complete high school coaching staff? Just seems really odd.

• Upvote 2

What are your sources for the claim that Harbaugh and Fisher agreed to come here? Maybe Harbaugh at that time, but no way Fisher quits his gig waiting for Bobby Bowden to retire to coach at Fouts.

Edited by rcade

I think only the real tinfoil hats of the world ever thought both these guys turned UNT down or were never contacted. It always came down to money, and Rick hired what he thought was the best option given the budget made available to him by his bosses. If it worked, it would have been spectacular, but, well...you know.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think only the real tinfoil hats of the world ever thought both these guys turned UNT down or were never contacted. It always came down to money, and Rick hired what he thought was the best option given the budget made available to him by his bosses. If it worked, it would have been spectacular, but, well...you know.

See, this is all well and good and I can understand taking the risk on Dodge. He was one of the biggest names in all of Texas football at the time we hired him. The upside was tremendous.

The part that made absolutely NO sense was how his first staff was selected. Care to shed some light on that? Was Dodge short on contacts, couldn't convince many college level assistants to come on board, really thought that HS experience = D1 college experience, etc? Why did RV allow it to happen?---was it written into the contract with Dodge? Even if it's common to let the incoming HC have 100% control of his staff, wasn't this a situation that warranted, in the very least, caution??

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 5

See, this is all well and good and I can understand taking the risk on Dodge. He was one of the biggest names in all of Texas football at the time we hired him. The upside was tremendous.

The part that made absolutely NO sense was how his first staff was selected. Care to shed some light on that? Was Dodge short on contacts, couldn't convince many college level assistants to come on board, really thought that HS experience = D1 college experience, etc? Why did RV allow it to happen?---was it written into the contract with Dodge?

RV has said in the past that he felt a head coach should be able to select his assistants. Maybe the only way RV could have gotten Dodge was by allowing his assistance to come along.

I too heard this. But to be fair he didn't quite have the name that he does now. He was coaching at San Diego University...not to be confused with San Diego State.

Edited by Daddy Dumpsalot

I too heard this. But to be fair he didn't quite have the name that he does now. He was coaching at San Diego University...not to be confused with San Diego State.

Oh, I get that. Just lamenting the luck (or poor choices, depending on who you believe) that has led this program to it's current state.

Yes. Hiring Coach Mac was absolutely the right decision. He had more experience taking over a program that has been down for a long time and reviving it.

To answer your question that I bolded and for most of my life since I graduated (and I'll be 61 next month): No...

It has been the life long frustration of many of us old alum pharts who could only grin and bare thru all the last few decade's miscues in the hiring department. And worse, they kept many of the bad hires too looooooooooooooong.

I think our FB and BB program are in good hands now, though. I prefer the quick turnaround but not all schools have Lady Luck smiling on them in that department, either, and North Texas is not alone in that area.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 2

I literally have never heard of this before... Just when I thought I couldn't think less of Todd Dodge... I imagine what could have been- then I realize what was...

Just the fact that Harbaugh wanted to come here (from what we think) it does give me hope that UNT has the ability to become a force. That being said even in San Diego there was talk of him making the switch to a big time college program or coming to the NFL and coach. The man is a hell of a coach tho...I would have loved to him him on the sidelines for the 2 or 3 years he would have been here before moving on to a a better gig.

The dates the best I can find seem a little off. North Texas hired Dodge on 12/12. Stanford didn't announce Harbaugh until 12/18. Now maybe Stanford had a two week process to make the hire and knew for awhile before they announced the hire, but the dates seem a little off.