FAU Official Attendance

UNTflyer

My kids enjoyed running around the end zone bleachers for just about the entire second half. But, I wish they hadn't had so much room. People missed a good game.

I hope this thing is really turning around. I love the new stadium, but the reality is, it doesn't help to be playing in the Sun Belt.

There may have been 20 FAU fans in the stands. It's just that no one cares. I hate to say it, but even joining that WAC might bring more interest and fans out.

Yes, there was ALCS and Texas-OU, but.... Denton has got to be brought behind this thing. Denton County as well.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I just don't think people are very sports savvy in general. A couple of guys making the walk from Fouts' parking lot were bitching about the walk. I explained to them how short it was compared to games at OU or UT. They couldn't believe it.

And, once you're in the stadium. There isn't a bad seat. But, how the hell would you know it unless you had something else to compare it to? I don't think many average Dentonites have ever been to a sporting event, so they don't know how good Apogee is from that stand point.

I mean, you're practically on the field now in the end zone seats!

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

There may have been 20 FAU fans in the stands. It's just that no one cares. I hate to say it, but even joining that WAC might bring more interest and fans out.

The lack of any regional rivalries is part of the problem, but that's not going to get any better for us anytime soon. As overplayed as the meme is, winning is our best tool to get people motivated to come out and watch us play against schools they have never heard of and will never visit.

Yes, there was ALCS and Texas-OU, but.... Denton has got to be brought behind this thing. Denton County as well.

and

Regardless of the sideshow distractions, we have got to do some kind of promotions to get butts in the stands. Five dollar wingzone seats, ten dollar wingzone seats with free wings, something! Don't think I've felt so lonely since the Abilene Christian game eons ago. Great win BTW!

I don't know if this has been discussed in the past or not, but I'd really like to see the Athletic Department and the City get together on some promotional programs. The City was smart to make the play for O.U. fans this weekend; there's no reason that a city-Mean Green partnership couldn't be equally as smart, especially given that so many of our alums live in the D/FW region.

The attendance was absolutely the worst part of the evening. I do believe that that was the actual count and did not include season tickets. If this is our fan base then we can forget about another conference.

Where were the students? While we need many more Denton townspeople to embrace this program we need our students to lead the way. The two sections that did attend were magnificent but there needed to be at least four times that number.

Let me say one positive about student attendance...the band. The band was as lively as I've ever seen them and the sound was great. Tremendous performance. Their pregame concerts also were appreciated.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The attendance was absolutely the worst part of the evening. I do believe that that was the actual count and did not include season tickets. If this is our fan base then we can forget about another conference.

Where were the students? While we need many more Denton townspeople to embrace this program we need our students to lead the way. The two sections that did attend were magnificent but there needed to be at least four times that number.

Let me say one positive about student attendance...the band. The band was as lively as I've ever seen them and the sound was great. Tremendous performance. Their pregame concerts also were appreciated.

since my freshman year of 61' i have noticed that we draw poorly during tex/ou weekend regardless of who we play. its party time in dallas for the greeks, as well as other students. in addition, our game featured 2 teams with 1 win between them,iffy weather, and a team in our conference that is not a natural rival. we have a core of about 15,000 supporters that show up regardless of who we play or what our record is. the way to double that is to put a decent product on the field, which coach mac will do in 2 to 3 years. however, the lack of a natural rival remains a thorn in our side, and our lack of interest in scheduling utsa and tex st baffels me.

• Upvote 2

Regardless of the sideshow distractions, we have got to do some kind of promotions to get butts in the stands. Five dollar wingzone seats, ten dollar wingzone seats with free wings, something!

I don't think it is the cost of a ticket that is keeping people from coming to the game. The students get in free and there were not very many of them at the game.

As soon as we're playing in the little big howevermany conference, our alumni and students will be a lot more motivated to attend games.

Really, what leads you to believe that? I hope you are 100% correct, but i see no signs from our students or alumns that conference affiliation would make any difference. Really a shame. I do think things are slowly changing for the better student-wise and that will, in turn, lead to a better alumni turnout. But, this will take time. Those that didn't attend last night, for whatever reason, missed a nice win by the Mean Green.

I had a great time...always do.

since my freshman year of 61' i have noticed that we draw poorly during tex/ou weekend regardless of who we play. its party time in dallas for the greeks, as well as other students. in addition, our game featured 2 teams with 1 win between them,iffy weather, and a team in our conference that is not a natural rival. we have a core of about 15,000 supporters that show up regardless of who we play or what our record is. the way to double that is to put a decent product on the field, which coach mac will do in 2 to 3 years. however, the lack of a natural rival remains a thorn in our side, and our lack of interest in scheduling utsa and tex st baffels me.

Those programs are not the answer to our attendance woes. Playing good, solid football, and scheduling teams like Rice, Houston, TCU, SMU, UTEP, Baylor, Tx Tech, etc., along with Tulsa and the military academies will help.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if this has been discussed in the past or not, but I'd really like to see the Athletic Department and the City get together on some promotional programs. The City was smart to make the play for O.U. fans this weekend; there's no reason that a city-Mean Green partnership couldn't be equally as smart, especially given that so many of our alums live in the D/FW region.

Denton has a "Sports Commission", but you would never know it from the lack of any activity supporting local teams/universities, etc. I think the Commission is pretty much a "clique" of folks who really see it as their own little universe to do with as they please, and could really care less about actually promoting sports in and around Denton.

I give the Denton Sports Commission a BIG FAT "F" FOR "FAIL BIG TIME". Seems to be a pure waste of energy, time and money.

Anyone know any members of this esteemed Commission?

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

A couple of comments:

1) There was not anywhere close to 13k people at that game. My estimate is 5k tops.

2) I agree that there were many big games going on yesterday that would have kept the people away (Rangers, OU/TX). I am sure that many people started drinking before noon yesterday. But to be honest I think one of the biggest reasons was because of who we were playing. I predict that the attendance for the rest of the home games will be around 14k or about triple what we saw last night.

3) We pulled out a win and everyone is happy about that but I think there is still some frustration about what happens to our defense in the 4th quarter. It would have felt great to shut out FAU and Indiana and continue to rack up the score...but instead what happens is you move to the edge of your seat because they are scoring in about 2 minutes with ease and in trying to run the ball we end up with back to back 3 and outs.

With all that said we are now 2-4 and its feeling good.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3