UNT Boomer Cannon Unveiled at Apogee Stadium

Harry

Now this is the kind of music I'm looking forward to hearing in the new stadium. It is so DAMN loud y'all won't believe it! I just spoke with Mike Gallop the team's equipment manager and he said the first one really caught them by surprise inside the teams lockerroom. And there's this crazy ghost-like freight train echo immediately following each shot. Sounds like a Scott Davis pass zinging overhead.

A special thanks go to coach McCarney for stopping by and visitingng with me and the new Cannon Crew.

And a huge thank you goes out to all those who helped put today's event on, including Meangreenfreak and SoundMan. Both of these guys are currently working on getting the Bell and Model A up and going again. Without great alumni like these I don't know where we would be?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Thank you Rick and Cannon Crew! I love that we have such a storied tradition. Thank you for all of you all's hard work and I hope to hear the cannon often throughout the season!

Way to go CC!

GMG

Great stuff Rick! I can tell you that from my experience in the US Army, Field Artillery, and being close to 105mm howitzers on fire missions, that "echo sound" you hear in the stadium sounds exactly like that of an actual round being fired from a 105. :blowup:

Man! that was a weird echo. It was an unearthly sound. :unsure:

Also, I was standing behind the cannon when it was being fired and I could really feel the concussion. I can only imagine how "suprised" our visitors will be when that thing goes off. :o

As someone who's never liked Boomer this is pretty cool.

I think what has always annoyed me about Boomer is the post game shot. After a frustrating loss there's nothing that drives me more crazy than being startled by a random 'boom' as I'm trying to leave the stadium. I know the reason the shot must be fired but why can't it wait another 20 minutes to let people leave?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh, this is going to be GREAT! I hope the paramedics are standing by as there may well be a heart attack or two when Boomer "speaks" for the first time. The finest cannon in college football will really show off a great UNT tradition for a packed house on the 10th. Thanks, Rick, once again Boomer roars!

I imagine every school with a cannon says the exact same thing.

Nope. I have seen several others...they can hardly even be called cannons. There is no doubt that boomer is the best and finest in the land. Boomer is also the only one in Texas to make "Texas Monthly's" list of the best traditions in college football. Really, one of a kind. Some "imposters" may try to make the claim, but simply "imposters" they are. Boomer is the finest in the land.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the kind words, I had a lot of help, especially from Alex Balic finalizing and cleaning up my dirt dobbin welds on the fabrication. I don't know why but I forgot to get a group shot of all those who have contributed with Boomer. Maybe prior to or after a game some time?

By the way I also learned there is going to be pyrotechnics set up inside the stadium as well which should make for a great atmosphere on game day.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

This, coupled with the "cozy confines" of Apogee will surprise many of the "old nestors." This is going to be so different from Fouts that some of these folks have no idea what they are going to experience in about 12 days. The mild reaction to Boomer, the ability to sit and visit during a game with your old friends, etc.., is going to be a thing of the past. Apogee will be rocking, loud and what a true stadium should be like. We are about to finally experience what a real home field advantage is all about. If Boomer is that loud, think what a 300 member Green Brigade with 30,000 people yelling is going to sound like. I may purchase some earplugs and send my boys out through the crowd selling them! Can't wait.

• Upvote 1

For those of with very small kids, remind me again when we fire this thing off--after we score, end of the quarter, kickoff? Any others? I will need to prepare my 3 year old and 5 year old to cover their ears or else I can see a massive amount of fear that will be damn near unrecoverable If I don't get ahead of this one now.