UNT Boomer Cannon Unveiled at Apogee Stadium

Harry

For those of with very small kids, remind me again when we fire this thing off--after we score, end of the quarter, kickoff? Any others? I will need to prepare my 3 year old and 5 year old to cover their ears or else I can see a massive amount of fear that will be damn near unrecoverable If I don't get ahead of this one now.

It's shot off when the team enters the field, at the beginning and half-time. After that it's shot off when we score (including TD's, Extra points, and FG's).

Here's one idea. Get your kids in front of the computer, turn the volume up as high as it will go, tell them that it's going to be a loud sound, and play the U-tube video. Tell them that it's going to be even louder at the games, but that it will not hurt them, and make sure that they practice holding their hands over their ears.

Do this several times before the opening game. Give them a chance to talk about any fears that they have about it. Besides the loud sound, the scariest thing for ANY child is the feeling of the concussion. They don't have any experience in their everyday world (well, at least I hope they don't) that can give them a frame of reference for how that concussion feels. You'll need to talk to them about that too.

It's shot off when the team enters the field, at the beginning and half-time. After that it's shot off when we score (including TD's, Extra points, and FG's).

Here's one idea. Get your kids in front of the computer, turn the volume up as high as it will go, tell them that it's going to be a loud sound, and play the U-tube video. Tell them that it's going to be even louder at the games, but that it will not hurt them, and make sure that they practice holding their hands over their ears.

Do this several times before the opening game. Give them a chance to talk about any fears that they have about it. Besides the loud sound, the scariest thing for ANY child is the feeling of the concussion. They don't have any experience in their everyday world (well, at least I hope they don't) that can give them a frame of reference for how that concussion feels. You'll need to talk to them about that too.

Here's something else you can do that will get the kiddos ready for Boomer. Simply tell/yell them, "fire in the hole", just like the cannoneer yells to prepare the crew for the firing.

Edited by DeepGreen