ATm to SEC confirmed on ESPN

emmitt01

This is why I think it could be good for us if SMU got a Big 12 invite -- UNT would be the "open" for the DFW market. I hope things move quick.

P.S. - Do not underestimate the consideration that could be given to UTSA. San Antonio is a market that could make a conference decide to take a chance (reference USF).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Smut and UTEP were not very good when CUSA wanted them.

It is more than recent on field record. Media market, airport access, recruiting area, etc all play a part of a school's appeal as well as current state of their program.

The basketball-rich Big East didn't care TCU has lousy basketball, they wanted the recruiting area and media market TCU is in.

Football drives eveything, especially in the south.

I agree that we have a lot going for us, unfortunately that isn't the perception among many, many people. Eyes are just starting to dart sideways, and the head hasn't yet begun the motion of turning.

The idea is to be one of the 64 teams that get to play with the big boys when all this settles.The others will just be glorified FCS schools. I think we are too late to the party to get one of those 64 spots. I really, really, really, really hope not, but I don't think that is reality.

Edited by UNT90

If those Conferences get 'raided', I think we're kind of in the Catbird Seat. Does it hurt to stay in the Sun Belt? Not really, and if we get an invite to the Mountain West, Conference USA, or even the ACC, we (RV) can look it over and accept it, or decline it.

Ideally, I do not want to be in a re-vamped Big 12 with the 'Sips, since I see that Conference being put out of it's misery thanks to the BEVO Network, and A&M now leaving. And it could be worse, just look at the 'Harvard of Southeast Texas' (UofH)... They're already celebrating goin' to the Big 12, and have one of the worst Stadiums in the whole State! Of course, they could play at Reliant if need be. We're already ahead of them in Enrollment and Academics. All they have is a TV Market, which, is what sells College Football these Days.

If any of the FBS, AQ conferences come calling, you take it as fast as you can. Yes, even the B12 if it's still operating as an AQ conference. TCU wrote the book on how to move up the food chain. They are in the Big East and could easily continue to move up the AQ good chain.

Personally, I think all the great things happening at UNT Athletics are about 10-15 years too late. Regardless, I'll be at the UH game in our new stadium.

Edited by DeepGreen

One possible wildcard in this is TCU. If Missouri is in fact leaving along with the Aggies, would TCU and Houston be enough to keep the Big 12 together? TCU has never been shy about playing musical conferences in a heartbeat, and maybe they'll finally realize that they aren't located on the Eastern Seaboard or in the Rocky Mountains.

This thing, if true, could blow everything wide open. I believe that several, maybe most, conferences will now try to go to 16 members in order to try to stay near the SEC.

If the ACC tries to go to 16, I would expect all of them (6) would come from the Big East. If that should happen, the Big East would be basketball conference only; causing TCU to withdraw. Or the Big X/XII might cherry-pick up to four from the Big East. Either way, as a football conference the Big East is dead.

The next big unknown is what will Oklahoma do? Independent? Pac-12? Hold the Big XII together? With or without Texas? Go to the Big X/XII?

However, I'm still not very concerned about North Texas in all of this. If we can jump our attendance to a mid-20s average and improve our number of wins we should be primed for advancement.

I'm not automatically assuming anything if there's an armageddon that affects three or four AQ conferences. If they were looking at bringing in non-AQs to replace, they would be looking at potential. Any non-AQ brought in is going to get creamed for several years with the only exceptions being TCU, UCF, and Boise.

We offer one of the largest media markets in the country, access to Texas recruiting in the #1 recruiting area in the country, arguably the nicest non-AQ stadium in the country, an AQ level coaching staff, decent basketball, and a huge alumni base.

Does that make us a lock? Obviously not. However, they're going to take a look at all those factors much more than a school like SMU having a winning and a .500 season the past two years. I expect us to stay where we're at or move up to CUSA/MWC, but I can't say I would be shocked to see an RV conference announcing our move to the Big East/ACC/Big 12. I would just wet myself.

It might not mean a lot to (most of) the athletes and fans, but academics means quite a bit to the institution at large. That is why Texas was so interested in the PAC conference, but would not consider the SEC, even though the SEC would take them in a heartbeat.

Not true. The SEC wanted aTm and NOT the longhorns because of the "big fish" mentality in Austin along with the longhorn network.

The idea is to be one of the 64 teams that get to play with the big boys when all this settles.The others will just be glorified FCS schools. I think we are too late to the party to get one of those 64 spots. I really, really, really, really hope not, but I don't think that is reality.

No way we would EVER end up as one of the "angelic" 64 hand picked from God.......however we must end up in a modified CUSA with some sort of texas/regional rivals....the Rice, Tulsa, UTEP,+++++ New Mex St., UTSA's of the world would be a step up over the Middle Tenn, FAU, south alabama's

• Upvote 2

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-08-13/report-texas-ams-move-to-sec-a-done-deal-missouri-clemson-florida-state

Interesting quote.

"The Big 12, meanwhile, could be interested in Houston—or even a revised version of the former Southwest Conference that would include SMU and TCU, as well as independent BYU.

We’re working on 20 names for possible replacements,” Dodds told the Statesman.

Edited by SilverEagle

Not true. The SEC wanted aTm and NOT the longhorns because of the "big fish" mentality in Austin along with the longhorn network.

The SEC wanted A&M and not the Longhorns because no one likes being shot down. They might not allow the Longhorn Network, but otherwise, I guarantee you any conference in the country including the SEC would love to have UT.

The SEC wanted A&M and not the Longhorns because no one likes being shot down. They might not allow the Longhorn Network, but otherwise, I guarantee you any conference in the country including the SEC would love to have UT.

So true...if it was a choice between A&M or Texas...A&M loses every time in this situation. Ask Arkansas how tough it is going to be for A&M and Missouri in the SEC. Arkansas has been pretty much an also-ran team in the SEC west...I am sure they can't wait to feast on Missouri and UT-lite. If I were Texas I'd tell A&M...you know that Thanksgiving game we have played for eons...well kiss it goodby...we have plenty of other options. A&M needs Texas a lot more than Texas needs A&M. Have fun...whose your rival now that will get your base fired up like they have when you guys played Texas? I don't think this is good for A&M nor for the step-child in the deal, Missouri...there will be no Baylors, Iowa States, K-States or Kansas-es to play in the SEC west...good luck finding even six wins for several years to come.

The good news here may well be for UNT. We'll see where this goes. It ain't over yet! The "fat lady" is only warming up...no singing as yet.

If I were the Big XII I'd say, pay me the $8,000,000 and don't let the door hit you in the butt as you leave.

• Downvote 1

"...Texas has been contacted by the SEC, Pac 10, Big 10, ACC and the Big East over the past few days and all of them said the LHN is workable..."

Also, a lot of people who feel OU doesn't "need" Texas and vice versa don't really understand that relationship. First of all, Castigilione and Dodds have a very good working relationship.

They are on the same page in many ways with regards to how both schools' athletic bread is buttered, and they know that relationship is symbiotic. Secondly, the rivalry between the schools is actually a competitive one and has been for a long time. Neither school wants to lose that. Thirdly, OU does not want to throw the RRR overboad, or the games they play in Texas every year.

Everything--and I mean EVERYTHING I've heard regarding possible realignment has OU and Texas landing together, and they all mention the remaining 4 Big 12 state schools in Oklahoma and Texas as part of the deal. And Houston to Big 12? Not a chance, from what I've heard--and I'm not talking about Chip Brown's report.

We'll see, because it's all still speculation anyway.

Edited by LongJim

If those Conferences get 'raided', I think we're kind of in the Catbird Seat. Does it hurt to stay in the Sun Belt? Not really, and if we get an invite to the Mountain West, Conference USA, or even the ACC, we (RV) can look it over and accept it, or decline it.

Ideally, I do not want to be in a re-vamped Big 12 with the 'Sips, since I see that Conference being put out of it's misery thanks to the BEVO Network, and A&M now leaving. And it could be worse, just look at the 'Harvard of Southeast Texas' (UofH)... They're already celebrating goin' to the Big 12, and have one of the worst Stadiums in the whole State! Of course, they could play at Reliant if need be. We're already ahead of them in Enrollment and Academics. All they have is a TV Market, which, is what sells College Football these Days.

We'd be insane NOT to accept an offer to be in the same conference as Texas, even if it's just for a couple of seasons. Depending on who would still remain in the Big 12, we'd be guaranteed to have some top football teams coming to Denton. Texas, OU, Texas Tech, OSU....I'd love to host games against any and all of those opponents. Plus, we'd have more television exposure than we've had in the last 20 years. Tech has benefited a great deal from riding UT's coattails - no reason why we couldn't do the same.

So true...if it was a choice between A&M or Texas...A&M loses every time in this situation. Ask Arkansas how tough it is going to be for A&M and Missouri in the SEC. Arkansas has been pretty much an also-ran team in the SEC west...I am sure they can't wait to feast on Missouri and UT-lite. If I were Texas I'd tell A&M...you know that Thanksgiving game we have played for eons...well kiss it goodby...we have plenty of other options. A&M needs Texas a lot more than Texas needs A&M. Have fun...whose your rival now that will get your base fired up like they have when you guys played Texas? I don't think this is good for A&M nor for the step-child in the deal, Missouri...there will be no Baylors, Iowa States, K-States or Kansas-es to play in the SEC west...good luck finding even six wins for several years to come.

The good news here may well be for UNT. We'll see where this goes. It ain't over yet! The "fat lady" is only warming up...no singing as yet.

If I were the Big XII I'd say, pay me the $8,000,000 and don't let the door hit you in the butt as you leave.

Why all the subtle hate for A&M? Did an aggie co-ed break your heart a long time ago or something? :P

Seriously though, A&M will make more money in the SEC and contrary to what people are saying they won't be a bottom dweller. Sure, they might not be the best team in the SEC, but they won't be Vandy either. Plus, A&M will be among the favorites to win the SEC in pretty much every other sport.

And like you said, movement this big in college sports can only help UNT, IMO.

• Upvote 1

Invite to the SEC is a no brainer and I don't know one program who would turn that down! I am excited to see the Aggie taken on big piggy, the benal, Tennessee, the chomp, the elephant and war eagle. I like the Aggies and I am excited to watch some Aggie SEC football! Texas, Tech, OU and OSU should head to the left coast.

GMG

Rock the A 9.10.11

• Upvote 1

Here's the latest (with video): http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6859115/texas-aggies-intend-join-sec-school-official-says

Texas A&M intends to move from the Big 12 to the Southeastern Conference, where it hopes to begin play in 2012, school officials have said. . . .

The SEC now likely will pursue Florida State, Clemson and Missouri, a source told ESPN's Gottlieb, though Missouri athletic director Mike Alden said the school was not in talks with any conferences about a possible move.

"No, no, no," Alden told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Saturday, before reaffirming the school's commitment to the Big 12, in whatever form that might be.

• Upvote 1

so let me get this straight... you argue that A&M is making a bad move because of:

A.) they will lose the Thanksgiving game... which they are pretty much already ok with after realizing that Nebraska not playing Oklahoma wasn't the end of the world...

and

B.) because they wouldn't be immediately competitive in the SEC in football... (despite the fact that you are excited about UNT possibly moving up to a tougher conference, where outsiders would tell you the exact same thing...)

• Upvote 1

Why all the subtle hate for A&M? Did an aggie co-ed break your heart a long time ago or something? :P

Seriously though, A&M will make more money in the SEC and contrary to what people are saying they won't be a bottom dweller. Sure, they might not be the best team in the SEC, but they won't be Vandy either. Plus, A&M will be among the favorites to win the SEC in pretty much every other sport.

And like you said, movement this big in college sports can only help UNT, IMO.

Well, at the time that KRAM1 was attending college as an undergrad, A$M didn't have co-eds. At that time it was still an all male school.

• Upvote 1