ATm to SEC confirmed on ESPN

emmitt01

Looks like A&M is now a laughing stock.

https://twitter.com/#!/schadjoe

BREAKING: UF's Bernie Machen statement says no action on A&M; satisfied with present alignment; for now

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/gatorbytes/2011/08/14/sec-presidents-chancellors-say-theyre-satisfied-with-12-school-membership/

“The SEC Presidents and Chancellors met today and reaffirmed our satisfaction with the present 12 institutional alignment. We recognize, however, that future conditions may make it advantageous to expand the number of institutions in the league. We discussed criteria and process associated with expansion. No action was taken with respect to any institution including Texas A&M.”

espn reports that the sec doesn't want atm now....hmmmm....can't wait for the future big 12 meetings...awkward!

To be accurate, it's only that there won't be an invitation right now. Doesn't mean they don't want them, just not at this time. My guess is they have to line up other teams as well. This has all happened super quick.

To be accurate, it's only that there won't be an invitation right now. Doesn't mean they don't want them, just not at this time. My guess is they have to line up other teams as well. This has all happened super quick.

To make the invite legal, A&M has to officially apply for membership. This the purpose of the meeting tomorrow. Coincidentally, SEC folk meet again on Wednesday.

After A&M regents give Loftin the power to deal on Monday, and A&M goes before Oklahoma City University and SMU grad Dan Branch's bogus hearing (what Branch aims to accomplish is beyond me. The academics of the schools in the A&M system will be fine no matter which conference the main campus is in. Branch is just stalling), SEC will probably say Wednesday that they have a formal request from A&M.

Then, the hunt for school #14 will be on in earnest.

• Upvote 1

We'd be insane NOT to accept an offer to be in the same conference as Texas, even if it's just for a couple of seasons. Depending on who would still remain in the Big 12, we'd be guaranteed to have some top football teams coming to Denton. Texas, OU, Texas Tech, OSU....I'd love to host games against any and all of those opponents. Plus, we'd have more television exposure than we've had in the last 20 years. Tech has benefited a great deal from riding UT's coattails - no reason why we couldn't do the same.

Hindsight is still 20/20, but we (still) should have built Apogee larger initially because IMO it would be easier to advance upward and be taken more serious if the Big Boys knew that was our intentions from the git-go. 30,000 and some change says we are pretty comfy' where we are.

Something tells me that the early espn reports were done on purpose to make a&m looks silly and the bad guy here. I'm not a big fan of espn after what they did with the whole Mike Leach saga

You're probably right, but I'm pretty sure that A&M brought majority of this on themselves.

Surely there was some sort of talks with the SEC (and hopefully there was some sort of invite) right? If not, then it only reinforces the Aggie stereotypes.

It would be like one of us getting upset with our jobs because the "team lead" just ahead of us, that we're obsessed with hating, is getting his own column in the company newsletter, then causing a scene while storming out of the office to go work for the bigger competitor, only to find that the bigger competitor is not hiring.

What would be sad is if the SEC said they wanted A&M, then changed their mind...

Something tells me that the early espn reports were done on purpose to make a&m looks silly and the bad guy here. I'm not a big fan of espn after what they did with the whole Mike Leach saga

Maybe but not likely. In the end we know A&M is going to the SEC. For legal purposes the SEC is just playing it safe for now. the inevitable is going to happen sooner or later.