Which Is A Better Brand?

NThomas

Since the last round of rebranding in 2005, the academic side of the university only uses "University of North Texas" or "UNT." "North Texas" has been left to the athletic department and unlike the academic side of the university, it doesn't use UNT for sports teams which leads to some confusion.

Inevitably "North Texas" leads to someone unfamiliar with the university or an inept sports commentator saying "North Texas State" which was retired back in 1988. "UNT" is rarely confused with "NTSU" and I think would make for a much better public brand than the university using "UNT" while the athletic department uses "North Texas."

So, which one would you prefer the athletic department go by?

UNT Mean Green or North Texas Mean Green?

Edit: Also, "N. Tex" or "NT" constantly appears in national broadcasting box scores which only seems to add to the confusion since the NTSU days.

Edited by NThomas
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Since the last round of rebranding in 2005, the academic side of the university only uses "University of North Texas" or "UNT." "North Texas" has been left to the athletic department and unlike the academic side of the university, it doesn't use UNT for sports teams which leads to some confusion.

Inevitably "North Texas" leads to someone unfamiliar with the university or an inept sports commentator saying "North Texas State" which was retired back in 1988. "UNT" is rarely confused with "NTSU" and I think would make for a much better public brand than the university using "UNT" while the athletic department uses "North Texas."

I think I can get behind either one. I'll trust the AD branding folks to make the right decision. There's alot of marketing tactics to take into account and I never set foot in the business building, so I don't have a clue what goes into it.

I'll lean towards NORTH TEXAS though over UNT.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the use of directional school names. Most of them seem to get lost in the crowd like all the schools from Illinois and Michigan. I would much rather hear "USC" than "Southern California" or the use of the abbreviated state and city such as "UCLA" or "UNLV". Directions make me feel like all the good names were taken.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

North Texas Normal College

North Texas State Teacher's College

North Texas State College

North Texas State University

University of North Texas

We are NORTH TEXAS

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

North Texas Normal College

North Texas State Teacher's College

North Texas State College

North Texas State University

University of North Texas

We are NORTH TEXAS

Never cared for the "UNT" and much prefer "North Texas". There's always the potential for some to add that particular consonant to the front of it. And when you spell check something with "UNT" in it.......it usually comes back with "nut". Screw all of that!

Edited by UNTX

I'll trust the AD branding folks to make the right decision. There's alot of marketing tactics to take into account and I never set foot in the business building, so I don't have a clue what goes into it.

The AD has its strengths, but branding and marketing definitely aren't part of them. I wouldn't trust them with those responsibilities for a middle school.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Neither. No words. Just slap the Son of Worm logo on everything in place of a formal name. Like Prince did for a while.

Just don't do it in black ink. Because that's not appropriate.

It's a shame they took away the ability to give you +1's with your promotion.

I used to be a big North Texas guy, but UNT is growing on me. In my work experience EVERYONE calls us UNT so I'm beginning to embrace it.

• Upvote 2

It's a shame they took away the ability to give you +1's with your promotion.

I used to be a big North Texas guy, but UNT is growing on me. In my work experience EVERYONE calls us UNT so I'm beginning to embrace it.

You must work in the Metroplex. Leave the Metroplex, and no one knows who UNT is.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I live on the East Coast. No one knows what UNT means, I always say North Texas.

It's like a time I was in Arkansas and talking to a kid who said he went to Tech. I asked what attracted him to go to school in west Texas when he told me he went to Arkansas Tech. I just assumed he meant Texas Tech

When people ask me where I went to school, I always say North Texas. I've never said UNT.

Edit: Also, "N. Tex" or "NT" constantly appears in national broadcasting box scores which only seems to add to the confusion since the NTSU days.

I voted for North Texas. Texas is a big place. Claiming all of the northern part sounds good to me.